PDA

View Full Version : Making One Item Wireframe in scene

Columbo24
08-24-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm doing a a commercial where there are individual scenes in 3d space. The camera is going to move to each scene, allow it to unfold and quickly move to the next one. In this particular scene I need the orb only to be seen as a glowing wireframe rotating and I need light(Laser like?) coming from the base or the finger like projections. So the lights would be creating the wireframe orb. There's going to be a lot of graphics from AE on the background and rectangles.
Problem-
1.I can make the entire scene wireframe by going to render globals and putting on wireframe, but I only want the orb to be in wireframe. How can I do it? Will I have to render out to separate scenes? I want text to fly around it. Is this an example of rendering parts of an animation and then compositing them in AE?
2.Can I do the laser type light effects in LW? Do I use Hypervoxels or volumetric lighting and how? It seems with the 3d camera movement it could be difficult in AE.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

jeric_synergy
08-24-2015, 08:40 PM
If you look at the sticky note for the Modeler Speed Challenges, IIRC there are instructions for wireframe in the midst of everythig.

For the lights, volumetrics or even the old gradient transparency/additive shading trick, which will render orders of magnitude faster.

EDIT: just use the EDGES tab in the Object Properties. Set other surfaces to transparent.

djwaterman
08-24-2015, 09:41 PM
Myself I would do seperate renders and put it all together in AE, you can even export the camera from LW to AE so that everything fits perfectly, render out a crap wireframe and make it glow in AE, probably even make the laser beam in AE or render out a reasonable volumetric light from LW and then make it look better in AE. This approach gives you more flexibility and you're not tied down to a single render from LW.

jeric_synergy
08-24-2015, 10:03 PM
Mostly likely that'll be fine, but as my render inadvertently demonstrates, you get object intersection for free all within LW. ;)

Amurrell
08-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Here is another approach to the glowing edges. I have another example from some really old files on my HD that I will have to try to find to see how I did it.

MonroePoteet
08-24-2015, 11:44 PM
A favorite way of mine to make geometric wireframes is with Bezel. Select all polygons, press b for bezel, and enter 1cm or some other value appropriate to the size of your object in the Inset box. Delete the selected polygons (selected by bezel) and make all surfaces double-sided. Keeps the original surfaces. May not be what you want.

mTp

MonroePoteet
08-25-2015, 06:44 AM
Bevel. I meant BeVel! :)

mTp

Wade
08-25-2015, 07:34 AM
Well worth the few min. to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_R3wBU80og Render edges / intersecting edges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19BW3jxaV00

MonroePoteet
08-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Here's a quick scene to "create" a glowing wireframe sphere using a laser beam. It may not be the effect you're looking for, but may be a start for you to work with.

The wireframe sphere was generated using Bevel as described previously.

The basic functionality is to use a Null following a curve (using the motion modifier Curve Constraint) which was generated from the points of the sphere in both vertical and horizontal orientation. The curve was created by copying the points of the sphere, rotating them 90 degrees around the Z axis, pasting in the original copied points, select all points and CTRL-P to create a curve which traverses each point of the sphere twice.

The Null is an IK goal for Bone02 on the LaserBeam object. The Heading and Pitch channels of Bone01 and Bone02 are IK, as well as the Z Scale channel for Bone01, allowing the beam to stretch to each goal point.

The Null is also the reference object for the RMan_Collection Marker Pen procedural:

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm

The Marker Pen sets the transparency of the glowing wireframe to zero within a 0.1 meter radius of where the Null moves. Fine tuning the scene would be to have two separate objects for the vertical and horizontal lines of the sphere to "draw" them separately so the intersections don't show until the second traversal.

Glow (in the Surface Advanced Tab and the CTRL-F8 Processing Tab) is used to make them glow. The laser beam has a moving procedural to make it "active".

Hope this helps!

mTp