PDA

View Full Version : Why does Pixar use maquettes?

drclare
12-06-2003, 01:10 AM
I just watched "Finding Nemo" and the section that shows the sketches and maquettes of the characters and wondered why they still do this? Talented modellers could easily make those models in the computer.

fxgeek
12-06-2003, 08:15 AM
I would imagine because most character designs go through numerous revisions, and the director, art director etc will want to approve, make changes etc, and with a large project like nemo, this process is much easier with a real objects.

(just a guess)

lonestar1
12-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by drclare
I just watched "Finding Nemo" and the section that shows the sketches and maquettes of the characters and wondered why they still do this? Talented modellers could easily make those models in the computer.

So the talented modellers can see what they're supposed to be making.

jasonwestmas
12-06-2003, 07:50 PM
If you watch the making of finding nemo on the DVD set it tells you how they go about making a model. They sculpt everything in clay and then a modeler uses the sculpture as a visual referance. So not all film studios use scanners and laser pointers all the time.

mlinde
12-06-2003, 09:15 PM
In creating a 3D model, one of the best references you can have is a physical, 3D model. It's not necessarily for scanning, but for visual reference. Of course your drawings can have multiple angles to suggest the depth and form, but the physical object makes that much easier for the human brain to understand & manipulate.

Perhaps the nintendo generation doesn't need a physical model to visualize the object in its entirety, but us old farts do.