PDA

View Full Version : "Hotkey" for Transform's Choose Pivot?

pming
08-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Hiya.

I very much prefer to model with the "gizmo". Maybe it's a throwback to my my first 3d program... trueSpace2 (yeah, back when it came on *three*, count 'em, THREE 3.5" floppy disks...). I just fired up tS3 (via Windows XP Mode VM). Wow. Definitly feels "old"...but man, Roman and the crew at Caligari sure were ahead of the game in terms of innovation! Transform gizmo's, context sensitive selections, multi-type selections, 'solid' 3D viewing, dynamic subdivision as you model....*sigh*. I knew it was the end when they got bought by MS. That's when I seriously started saving cash for Softimage (my third 3d program... Hash Animation:Master was my second...).

Anyway, enough of walking down memory lane. :)

So, I like the "3d gizmo" Transform tool. I still use the others (Size, Rotate, Stretch, Move, etc when I need to), but the 3D gizmo is my go-to preference. However, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of having to select "Choose Pivot" from the Numeric Transform panel just to select the center of my selection (probably 50%+, easy, of my modifications are done via the current selection). Is there a way to set up "Center Selection" as default? If not, is there a way to map a Key to it? Is there even a way to do it via a config file or something?

^_^

Paul L. Ming

spherical
08-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Oh, you don't get away that easy... :D I miss the Lathe tool. Interactive. Can do helixes in progressive sections, smoothly extruding a meandering hose from one fitting to another. Never have seen anything like it since.

On setting a hotkey: Might try Prometheus' method used to get the Text tool to do simple setup tasks by recording commands sent as you work, through the lscript interface. It will show what's going on from the application's side of the UI and you can then turn some of those commands into an lscript linked to a key.

Snosrap
08-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Isn't it alt-right mouse button at either the point,poly or edge where you want the pivot to be?

jeric_synergy
08-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Looked into this...what's happening when you see the 4 (!?) "Accept" buttons at the bottom of the Numeric Panel??

And "Object Ctr" only seems to appear when the ribbon of selectors is visible. But Vertex, Edge, and Polygons seem to be highlighted, and Polygon Ctr seems active. :stumped:

erikals
08-24-2015, 02:35 AM
yes, could be improved slightly,

a take on it... >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd0iLjHrCrE

Lewis
08-24-2015, 06:25 AM
Shift+click outside of Model/polys will center the tool. Same goes for just RMB. Just click outside of model and it'll snap to default pivot/center. Granted if the model is not in the 0/0/0 then it+'s not working sadly. So yes there should be some boundingBOX mode to pick selections center by quick shortcut/key combo.

jwiede
08-24-2015, 01:50 PM
Transform could have been so useful/efficient, alas. Instead, its numeric panel is a discoverability mess, and too often it either over-complicates or outright fails at more complex operations that are trivial using other apps' manipulator gizmos. IMO, Transform feels as though the designer(s) didn't pay much attention to how other apps integrate / decorate gizmos to boost intuitiveness and efficiency in more complex workflows and scenarios, and instead focused overly on workflows and operations so basic that gizmos aren't even necessarily the most efficient approach. As a result, it never quite achieves the kind of direct, fluid, intuitive usage that make gizmos so flexibly useful.

Lewis
08-24-2015, 02:01 PM
IMO it's just "unifinished" and currently there is noone to finiish it or at least noone interested to finish it.

jeric_synergy
08-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Basic usability like X-rayedness seems......... OBVIOUS. ::throws mouse across room::

Snosrap
08-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Basic usability like X-rayedness seems......... OBVIOUS.
It is. At least in 2015.3.

jeric_synergy
08-24-2015, 07:45 PM
It is. At least in 2015.3.
And where do I turn it on? :twak:

Snosrap
08-24-2015, 07:53 PM
And where do I turn it on? :twak:

Turn off "Legacy OpenGL"

jeric_synergy
08-24-2015, 08:05 PM
:devil: Thanks. :compbeati :bangwall:

(This kinda thing?: prime argument for group-enhanced dox.)

jwiede
08-24-2015, 08:57 PM
Turn off "Legacy OpenGL"

Appropriate, as we're already talking about issues with undisciplined UX design. :rolleyes:

Snosrap
08-25-2015, 11:18 AM
:devil: Thanks. :compbeati :bangwall:

(This kinda thing?: prime argument for group-enhanced dox.)

Appropriate, as we're already talking about issues with undisciplined UX design. :rolleyes:

Yeah - no kidding. :)

Oedo 808
08-25-2015, 10:01 PM
IMO it's just "unifinished" and currently there is noone to finiish it or at least noone interested to finish it.

Lol, has there ever been?

jeric_synergy
08-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Why would that be? Is it a DI tool?

And what's w/all the new-ish tools lacking Falloff?

jwiede
08-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Is it a DI tool?Certainly looks to be one, at least based on UX common to his "attempt tool sets".

And what's w/all the new-ish tools lacking Falloff?You'd need to ask the developer(s). ;D

jeric_synergy
08-26-2015, 10:32 AM
::sigh::

pming
08-27-2015, 11:47 PM
Hiya!

I'm going to second jeric_synergy here... ::sigh::

So much for "It must be my fault for not reading enough...I feel dumb...well, better ask others where this is. Because, well, I mean... there is no way that a developer would add in an industry wide workflow tool and not have it work smoothly and quickly. LOL! Crazy talk! ...".

Some times I just really do not understand LW developer thinking. Scratch that...most of the time I'm scratching my head. But, in the end, at least they aren't Autodesk! :devil: In fact, I think I have a new signature...

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Lightwave. At least they aren't Autodesk!