PDA

View Full Version : dumb question - cut existing point into edge?

madno
08-23-2015, 12:45 AM
Hi,
difficult to explain so there is a screenshot.

Is there a simple way to cut the vertice which is only part of the upper two polygons into the lower polygon?
I am sure it is simple but I only find complicated solutions (splitting the edge, moving the new point, merge points or other multi cllck variants of tools).

EDIT:
More correct the upper "polygons" are in fact only one polygon (Ngon).

pinkmouse
08-23-2015, 02:01 AM
Simplest way for a single, (or a few) poly's like that is just to select the troublesome poly, Kill, (k, removes the poly but leaves points intact), then go to point mode and select the points you want in the new poly, clockwise if you want the poly to face you, anticlockwise if it should face away, then hit Create Polygon, (p).

Hope that helps. ;)

spherical
08-23-2015, 02:06 AM
I just select the poly needing a point, use Add Points to place a point along the common edge near to where the destination point is, then Weld to the destination point. Pretty much the same or less clicks, depending upon the point count of the poly needing an extra point.

pinkmouse
08-23-2015, 02:11 AM
Yup, that would work

Madno, in case you haven't noticed, there are as many ways of doing simple tasks in LW as there are LW artists! :D

meshpig
08-23-2015, 02:19 AM
"Add Edges" from the corner point along the edge of the offending poly to near the junction of the other 2 then weld. Hotkey Add Edges and you'll never look back especially for subdivided surface modelling.
At least it's more accurate than add points because it follows the edge.

Thomas Leitner
08-23-2015, 03:02 AM
.....Is there a simple way to cut the vertice which is only part of the upper two polygons into the lower polygon?
I am sure it is simple but I only find complicated solutions (splitting the edge, moving the new point, merge points or other multi cllck variants of tools).....

Hi,
"Add Points" does exactly this, if you select the point (or more points) before you use it:

Select the point, change to Polygon selction, select the lower polygon than use "Add Points" and click on the edge where the point should be.

ciao
Thomas

madno
08-23-2015, 03:21 AM
Thanks guys,

many solutions to chose from :-)

EDIT:
I meant "choose"

Oedo 808
08-23-2015, 03:51 AM
If you have LWCAD and want the point to be exact, you can use the Line tool with (click the SLC ogl button) and cut into the poly you want to add the point to (might need to select the poly if it doesn't work first time), then delete the extraneous point and merge/weld points.

It's a shame that LightWave's own Slice tool wouldn't see the edge, because you can use it to add singular point and it has snapping, but I guess recognizing partially coexistent edges might not be that simple.

jeric_synergy
08-23-2015, 11:26 AM
"Add Edges" from the corner point along the edge of the offending poly to near the junction of the other 2 then weld. Hotkey Add Edges and you'll never look back especially for subdivided surface modelling.
At least it's more accurate than add points because it follows the edge.
!!!!! Dood, thanks for that one! :thumbsup: