PDA

View Full Version : POLL 2: Should Lightwave 8 be Newtek's priority?

Beamtracer
12-05-2003, 08:13 PM
A free Lightwave 7.5d upgrade would be nice. But, what if the end result was that it was buggy, and caused Lightwave 8 to be more buggy than otherwise? What if it caused Newtek's programming resources to be stretched too far?

If that happened, the free 7.5d upgrade would not be worth the bandwidth required to download it.

It's much better to have one stable bug free version of Lightwave, even if you have to pay for it.

All resources should now be directed towards Lightwave 8.

SponZz
12-06-2003, 02:30 PM
I don't want to sound negative, but I use Lightwave sins it came avaleble on the Mac.
There has never been a new version that was total without bugs, I'm sure it will be no different with version 8.

Beamtracer
12-06-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by SponZz
There has never been a new version that was total without bugs, I'm sure it will be no different with version 8. This is why it's better for Newtek to be concentrating on creating one really good version of Lightwave, rather than trying to juggle two simultaneous releases of two products for the Mac.

Ade
12-06-2003, 06:38 PM
OK newtek should make a deal for us, no 7.5x BUT a cheaper special deal for us to upgrade to LW8 and to look to the future with 8 and its "mac savvy" engine.:D

mlinde
12-06-2003, 09:24 PM
I'm not answering this poll. I think the previous one covered the options well without any assumtions. I think that Beam assumes there is no way to make LW 8 and a 7.5 patch, and I don't agree. FWIW, in the other poll, I voted that LW 8 have priority over a 7.5 patch. In my mind (without micromanaging the development) that would mean that developers work to finish 8, once it's in the can they take the fixes necessary to make 7.5 work, and release that afterwards, whenever. It has been posted here time and again that the development team (the entire team) has both Mac & Windows boxes on their desks, which means that (unlike M$) anyone in the team can work on either platform version. This tells me that even though they are few, they are a talented few!

archiea
12-07-2003, 05:01 PM
You forgot the third optionin the vote: don't install Panther, keep using 7.5c on jaguar as you did before, and don't take up bandwidth dicussing this, where it could be better spent on proton UL more screenshots of 8:D

riki
12-07-2003, 07:10 PM
19 to 1. Keep going with 8 and don't look back. I think that speaks for itself. LW7 is dead, it's like asking Apple to go back and fix bugs in OS9. It's a fact of life in the tech industry, you keep moving forward or fall behind.

I recently upgraded to OSX and now my Epsom printer no longer works, only with a limited number of APPs in Classic. I'm peeved that I have to toss the printer but that's the way it is in this industry.

Beamtracer
12-09-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by riki
LW7 is dead, it's like asking Apple to go back and fix bugs in OS9. It's a fact of life in the tech industry, you keep moving forward or fall behind. There are some parallels with Lightwave 7.5d and OS9. Newtek kept OS9 development going for longer than most other companies. In fact, OS9 is (amazingly) still officially supported with LW7.5c.

It's not good to keep old versions alive for too long, especially when it's a strain to keep both versions supported.

LW7.5c could have been better. There were some bugs that weren't discovered before it was released. But still Newtek was trying to juggle two versions, one for OS9 and one for OSX, and trying to bug fix both versions.

We haven't even mentioned LW7.5b, which lasted a day or so before it had to be withdrawn.

If LW7.5d is like that it will not be worth downloading. I think quality control is stretched too far as it is.

We're better off with one solid version, Lightwave 8, and all Newtek's software engineers should be working on this version alone to make sure it is as bug free as possible at release time.

riki
12-09-2003, 02:21 AM
I have to agree, with that. Also they can forget about OS9 now, I upgraded a few months ago :)

wapangy
12-09-2003, 11:01 PM
Hey Beam have you lost your mind?
There is only ONE major bug that newtek needs to workout, the graph editor. Others have workarounds or are minor.

If you seriously think it would drain their resources to fix ONE bug then you are insane. Chances are if they fixed it in LW 8, then they know how to fix it in 7 anyway.

Its nothing but politics.

And yes, I think they should fix it in 7, even though I am going to buy 8 in either case.

Your whole argument about resources is cow dung.

Beamtracer
12-10-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by wapangy
you are insane. Thanks for the compliment. :(

Originally posted by wapangy
Your whole argument about resources is cow dung.

Scott's post from the "Panther don't do it" thread...

Originally posted by Scott_NewTek
It's not that we don't want to... but the patch version (7.5d) may be buggier than the fixes it provides. We had that with the first version of 7.5c... and now we are in the throes of 8.0... it isn't that we don't want to provide a fix (or fixes in this case), it's that there isn't enough bandwidth and brain cells to make sure you get something valuable out of it (right now).

Bugs have got out in the past. I don't believe it's because Newtek wanted there to be bugs. I think it's because there wasn't enough resources to test the Mac version enough.

We don't want another 7.5b. All resources should be directed to Lightwave 8 to make it as solid as possible.