PDA

View Full Version : Expand Selection on Curve: working like "Select Connected": bug?

jeric_synergy
08-20-2015, 11:03 PM
I wanted to expand a POINT selection on a Curve by one point, so with the end point selected I hit "}", but ALL the points got selected (and rather slowly at that).

Is this a bug? I checked the key assignments, they're correct, shift-lock is off, oh, and the MENU button does the same.

Is it that it's a curve? That it's the last point??

...and I'd like to say, apropos of nothing, that I'd happily machine gun every g.d. motocycle rider in the city. Get a real g.d. vehicle you d.wads.

meshpig
08-21-2015, 01:37 AM
Same here, from any point then selects all.

jeric_synergy
08-21-2015, 10:09 AM
Reported.

jeric_synergy
08-21-2015, 05:59 PM
Apparently it's always been that way. IOW, it's been a BUG forever. :devil: :chicken: :twak:

meshpig
08-22-2015, 03:02 AM
Yeah but in a curve with one point selected, what does 'expand selection' actually mean. By one? Lassoo the F*ckers or it's just another select all.

jeric_synergy
08-22-2015, 08:49 AM
Like it does w/this 2 pt poly chain-- pick any one point and Select Expand:

Expands both ways, one point at a time.

JoePoe
08-22-2015, 09:18 AM
I suspect that even in point mode it's looking at polys. Your 2ptPolyChain is multiple polys. A Curve is ONE poly.
Try Point Expand on a disc.... same thing. All points are selected. It's one poly.

Or here.... 129399. A single corner point expands to this .... 129400. It includes all the polys around the single point.

Try expanding edges instead with Expand AND Loop Expand.
Still some gotcha moments, but much better result.

Extra Note: What I really want is to be able to expand a selection (poly, edge, or point) in ONE direction. Ooooooo :boogiedow.

... Maybe this is what EdgeWalk does (sorry, is supposed to do) as part of the new-ish edge tools (formerly EdgePack). It don't do nuthin' for me :grumpy:.

jeric_synergy
08-22-2015, 10:07 AM
It's not my fault Expand Selection doesn't work LIKE IT SHOULD. If you're in Points Mode it should Expand POINTS, etc etc.

I happened to try EdgeWalk the other day, and it creates new geometry, so, no. I'm not sure what one would actually use it for, but I'm not good at that.

JoePoe
08-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Hey I'm not pointing fingers... just offering up an explanation :D.
If it is defaulting to polys then when "one" tries to expand points, at least a dialog box should pop up saying "please select some polys".

jeric_synergy
08-22-2015, 10:38 AM
(Just imagine my delivery is much the same as Lewis Black's.)

Apparently my use of Expand Selected has always been polygonal. But that doesn't mean it should be left alone: at the least, it needs as you say an alert or a renaming.

It's Yet Another Example of LW inconsistancy: "Expand Selected" should be mode sensitive, and it should expand the current entities, not some weird version (currently it's like it does a 'select next poly/sel points' if you're in Point mode- bizarre) of them.

JoePoe
08-22-2015, 10:49 AM
:i_agree:..... Lewis :D.

jeric_synergy
08-22-2015, 12:31 PM
I admired that autopsy of what Expand Selected is actually doing. :thumbsup:

meshpig
08-23-2015, 01:45 AM
LW being what it is... "]" isn't a tool so it doesn't have a numeric panel. But it manages an error pop-up if you haven't selected anything :) Not a big issue IMM.

jeric_synergy
08-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Unless you want to use it as the name suggests. And appreciate more consistency in the UI.

jwiede
08-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Apparently it's always been that way. IOW, it's been a BUG forever.

Was that put forth as a form of justification for why it wouldn't be addressed? Or just as "associated info"? Hoping the latter, not the former.

jeric_synergy
08-24-2015, 09:25 PM
Apparently others have made the same request. My feeling was it was not a high priority.

If others pile on, it can't hurt. I think it's worth doing, just on the principle of consistency.