PDA

View Full Version : Moving Projects Between Home/Studio, Render Path Absolute?

raw-m
08-19-2015, 05:09 AM
I've run into a bottleneck and was wondering if anyone has this issue.

I've been working on a project between work and home, copying the Content Directory to an HD and pasting. Everything works well except for the paths I've set to the Render folder, contained within the Content Directory.

It appears that the LW uses an absolute path to the Render folder, not relative. Because the HDs are setup differently I have to go through each Scene and repoint them to the correct render folder - a huge pain!

Anyone have a workaround?

ernpchan
08-19-2015, 05:31 AM
Use a script to change the render path?

Or replicate the same drive path at home.

You should submit a feature request. I'm surprised it's an absolute path when it's inside the Content structure.

raw-m
08-19-2015, 05:58 AM
Thanks ernpchan. I have a few different render passes per scene and about 5 scenes, hence the frustration in having to open each and redirect. I'll have a search for a script, any ideas where you might have seen it?

Some sort of preference tick box for relative render pass would be handy, I'll put in a fetter request, as you say. ta.

MonroePoteet
08-19-2015, 07:12 AM
You might try the "Package Scene" item on the File menu. It doesn't have 100% coverage of ALL the paths, but it works pretty well from my own experience. If you check the "Keep Existing Structure" button, it creates the subfolders required (e.g. Scenes, Objects, Motions, etc.) in the specified destination, moves all the content, and then creates a new scene with pointers to the created subfolders.

You might also be able to use Map Network Drive to force the content directory to the top level in all cases. For example, if you always map the drive or folder containing your top-level content folder to "L:", then regardless of which system you're on, the subdirectories would be self-relative and the paths would be correct. If you don't have control of the folder hierarchy at your workplace, this might not be feasible, though.

mTp

ernpchan
08-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Thanks ernpchan. I have a few different render passes per scene and about 5 scenes, hence the frustration in having to open each and redirect. I'll have a search for a script, any ideas where you might have seen it?

Some sort of preference tick box for relative render pass would be handy, I'll put in a fetter request, as you say. ta.

I have not seen a script that does this. Somebody would have to make one. It wouldn't be hard.

raw-m
08-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Nice tip about Package Scene, thanks Monroe.

I thought about the HD mapping thing but it's two different HD configurations that wouldn't work. I could work off an external HD, but don't want to!

ernpchan
08-19-2015, 08:35 AM
This could be handled a couple of ways. Run a script inside the folder structure and the script will crawl through all the folders and make a dupe of all the lws files with an updated path.

Or a script you run from within the scene file that updates that one scene.

raw-m
08-19-2015, 08:38 AM
I see a valid argument for both (leaning more towards the former, so if I have a lot of scenes I wouldn't have to open them all up)!

ernpchan
08-19-2015, 11:08 AM
I see a valid argument for both (leaning more towards the former, so if I have a lot of scenes I wouldn't have to open them all up)!

Sounds good. Let me know if you need help making that script. :D

raw-m
08-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Ha, yeah! I should really start to take a little more interest in scripting as it clearly very useful. I guess Python has more of a future than lscript so could be time to at least see if I can understand it!