PDA

View Full Version : DVD Authoring, PLEASE help.

TomEnokR
12-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Hi, all.

I'm a long-time user of Lightwave, but a newbie when it comes to my new VT3. Hoping someone can give me some good advice.

I want to do some DVD authoring. How far can I go with authoring a DVD thorugh Video Toaster? What programs interface / work with video toaster to complete the process?

I currently own Nero burn, Sonic DVDit PE Ulead DVD burner 6.0, Roxio DVD Builder, and about 4 others.

I'm hoping to scrap all / most of those in leu of a VT solution. Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

-Shaun

Jim_C
12-05-2003, 04:26 PM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VTNT/message/50281

mgrusin
12-06-2003, 12:14 PM
VT3 can't make DVDs by itself (one of the few things it can't do). You'll still need other software.

Like the above link says, to make a DVD you have to (A) create MPEG-2 files from your Toaster output, (B) author the DVD menus, links, etc, and (C) burn the DVD. Some people use a single program for all of that, some use a piecemeal approach.

You can probably get your current DVD authoring software (it sounds like you have several packages) to work with VT3. Try saving a copy of your VT-Edit project using the "AVI wrapper" feature, loading that .AVI into your authoring software, and creating a DVD from there.

Tip 1: use DVD RWs at first. You'll probably do a lot of experimenting before figuring out the best settings and software to use.

Tip 2: VT3 patch 2 had a problem with the AVI wrapper. If you installed patch 2 before 12/1, download it and install it again.

If you don't like or outgrow your current authoring software, search this board for recommendations. If you want the highest-quality results, the best advice here is found on Eugene's TMPGEnc + DVD Workshop page (http://www.professionaleventvideo.com/tmpdirections.htm). (I'm currently using TMPGEnc + DVD-Lab, but that's admittedly the low-rent route.)

Good luck, ask questions, and have fun! -MG.

edmellnik
12-08-2003, 06:30 PM
If you hve the VT3 patch, you will load the project into TMPGE, which you can download a trial or buy for $49. and render out your mpeg2 file.

I use Vagas DVD Architect. Its wonderful and can render 5.1 surround if you have both Vagas and DVD Architect.
Easy to use.

Ed:)

Paul Peterson
12-09-2003, 06:16 AM
I'm with mgrusin and HIGHLY recommend the TMPGEnc + DVD-Lab route.

Paul Peterson