PDA

View Full Version : Instancing Q: targeting of instances (ambiguous, leads to interesting questions...)

jeric_synergy
08-14-2015, 03:08 PM
I guess you could do this nodally, but if you Instance a targeted item, is each Instance targeting the, er, target separately, or is it more of a pantograph thing?

(Runs off to try....) OK, I see that w/o any nodal magic it's basically a pantograph. Nodally this should be rather a doddle, so only barely beyond my capabilities.

Back later.............

jeric_synergy
08-14-2015, 03:15 PM
::baffled by Instancer: Nodes editor:: May be more difficult than I thought...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NOT doing it by Nodes is a breeze. First, turn off the Targeting on the ...Source(?) object-- the thing that's being Instanced.

In the Instance: Rotation tab turn on TARGET ITEM, and set mode to LOOK AT. You are done.

However, for my own education, I'll continue to plug away at the nodes. I should know this.

jeric_synergy
08-16-2015, 07:46 PM
When I type "inst" into the Node Editor search box, I only get 5 nodes, 4 of which are DPKit nodes, two sets w/very similar names, and a native node. While I see various Index outputs, I don't see a (World) position for each instance, and I think I need to subtract the world location of the target item from the Instance (or vice versa) to get the proper vector to point the instance at the target.

I know I've got a mental block about nodal information flow, but surely there's a way to access each instance's position, right?

jeric_synergy
08-16-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm glad no one is reading this: BASE POSITION is the location of any given instance ('s pivot point, I'd guess).

Here's targeting, courtesy RH's Vector video. I don't really understand the MatrixHPB and 'Forward' thing, but I'll just apply it like a barbarian.