PDA

View Full Version : Okay, having trouble with basic particle/hypervoxel stuff.

Spinland
08-13-2015, 06:44 AM
This is right up there in LW 101, I'm sure, but searching the docs and the net are not helping. This seems like it should work.

I have a particle emitter spraying stuff up that gravity brings down. Below it I have an object (one layer of a fairly complex object) that is basically a flat polygon (that I've even tripled and extruded to add depth) that is set as a static object in Bullet. The particles will not collide with it, they just pass through, and I cannot figure out what I've overlooked to enable them to bounce. It seems like this would be a very simple procedure but clearly I've missed some step and I'm stumped.

In a related vein, rather than start a second thread, is there a way to get hypervoxels to cast shadows on that same object without making them "volume" types? This is supposed to be a water geyser and only "surface" seems to look right.

Thanks in advance!

creacon
08-13-2015, 06:58 AM
Bullet and the built-in particle system are 2 independent simulators, where one doesn't "see" the other.
You need to replace the bullet collision object with a ParticleFX collision object.
- object properties
- FX tab
- Set dropdown to collision

creacon

prometheus
08-13-2015, 08:14 AM
This is right up there in LW 101, I'm sure, but searching the docs and the net are not helping. This seems like it should work.

I have a particle emitter spraying stuff up that gravity brings down. Below it I have an object (one layer of a fairly complex object) that is basically a flat polygon (that I've even tripled and extruded to add depth) that is set as a static object in Bullet. The particles will not collide with it, they just pass through, and I cannot figure out what I've overlooked to enable them to bounce. It seems like this would be a very simple procedure but clearly I've missed some step and I'm stumped.

In a related vein, rather than start a second thread, is there a way to get hypervoxels to cast shadows on that same object without making them "volume" types? This is supposed to be a water geyser and only "surface" seems to look right.

Thanks in advance!

as creacon says..or simply, bullet bodies do not recognize particle collision, so you need to replace with bullet bodies.
or instead do not use the particle system and use bullet forces to push the bodies, itīs a bit different than controlling it with particles..but it is one way.

if you just want to use hypervoxels on the particles and not replacing it with bullet bodies, you could add the old dynamics system and make a collision object in the same place as the bullet static body, that is if you both have other dynamic bullet objecs and a water geyser with particles that also needs to react to collision when hitting the ground.

hypervoxels..donīt get it..you want the water geyser to cast shadows on a ground object? doesnīt hv surface mode do that for you?

Spinland
08-13-2015, 08:29 AM
hypervoxels..donīt get it..you want the water geyser to cast shadows on a ground object? doesnīt hv surface mode do that for you?

Ah, I knew it had to be something silly I was missing. Thanks to both of you. For the shadow thing, no, surface is not casting shadows for me. This is a test render.

I've poked around the surfacing controls and can't seem to find a reason for it. If I change the HVs to solids and change nothing else they cast shadows just fine but look terrible.

Spinland
08-13-2015, 10:42 AM
Okay, I think I have the main issue worked out. To get the water-looking droplet effect I had the transparency down to around 84% and that's what's washing out the shadows. Now that I know the issue I can start working on a path to solving it.

Thanks again!

Farhad_azer
08-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know whether Particles and Flocking system interact or not?

prometheus
08-16-2015, 06:30 AM
Does anyone know whether Particles and Flocking system interact or not?

Interact?

with what?

Farhad_azer
08-16-2015, 07:33 AM
See each other. for example can wind tools affect the motion of flocking items or could particles follow the arrive or goal agents?

There is target feature underneath particles parameter but is limited in every way. No weighting nor the potential of being keyed. Nothing :(

prometheus
08-16-2015, 08:12 AM
See each other. for example can wind tools affect the motion of flocking items or could particles follow the arrive or goal agents?

There is target feature underneath particles parameter but is limited in every way. No weighting nor the potential of being keyed. Nothing :(

You already got that answer in the second post in this thread...they do not see..they do no recognize eachother, thus no interaction between them.

as creacon wrote...

"Bullet and the built-in particle system are 2 independent simulators, where one doesn't "see" the other.
You need to replace the bullet collision object with a ParticleFX collision object.
- object properties
- FX tab
- Set dropdown to collision

creacon "

It may however be possible to do workarounds..by parenting etc, but the two system do not interact by default and recognize the other particle system.
so running a flocking simulation..add items, but then you will not have much luck using the old wind system since that is for the standard legacy particle system and wonīt affect flocking particles or itīs objects.

prometheus
08-16-2015, 08:19 AM

You can for instance use the flocking system to move around items in flocking behavior with goals and targets etc...then attach nulls and the old particle system to that...so you will have a trail of particles which emitts from the flocking particle items.

Farhad_azer
08-16-2015, 12:22 PM
You got me wrong my friend. I asked about the interaction between particles and flocking. I did not say particle and bullet.

Usually I assign flocking to particle itself to make them affected by wind and etc. I thought maybe there are shorter solutions.

prometheus
08-16-2015, 12:35 PM
You got me wrong my friend. I asked about the interaction between particles and flocking. I did not say particle and bullet.

Usually I assign flocking to particle itself to make them affected by wind and etc. I thought maybe there are shorter solutions.

No ..I didnīt get you wrong.

so I understood what you ment...but it came out wrong with bullet...though if we change bullet too...flocking, it is still the same, as creacon mentioned..they do not recognize eachother.