PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Lightwave

RIKOARH
08-13-2015, 02:39 AM
Hello Lightwavers

As new user I have question about upgrading Lightwave. Every time I install LW I have to reinstall all plugins again. How to avoid that ? LW support told me that I just have to add them to new version because it is not full reinstall. I do not understand the procedure. Can anybody explain how to step by step ?

Thank you in advance

BeeVee
08-13-2015, 04:41 AM
Hi RIKOARH,

I think you need to explain more fully. Why are you re-installing? What plugins are you talking about? If it's third party plugins, like DPKit, LWCAD, Octane, etc. then it's normal if you've installed on a new machine. If you are uninstalling and then re-installing for some reason, then plugins don't normally get deleted on uninstall unless you specifically choose the second option present on uninstall "Would you like to remove your configuration as well?"

B

Ma3rk
08-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Hello Lightwavers

As new user I have question about upgrading Lightwave. Every time I install LW I have to reinstall all plugins again. How to avoid that ? LW support told me that I just have to add them to new version because it is not full reinstall. I do not understand the procedure. Can anybody explain how to step by step ?

Thank you in advance

It's arcane at best but not too bad with a bit of Prep.

First off, simply have a Newtek Folder on the drive of your choice. When installing a new version, just add a new sub-folder with appropriate name such as Lightwave 11.63 and that's where you install to.

Before you do anything, go into your current install and you save 4 cfg files. In Modeler, click on the Edit Tab then select Edit Menu Layout then Save and name it something Like My Last Modeler Menus.cfg. You can put these in the root folder of the current install. Do the same for the Modeler Hotkey assignments, then the corresponding Menus & Keys for Layout.

Install your new Lightwave version to the Newtek folder and give it's new folder a unique name of course.

Once you've done that, go into the new Lightwave/Support folder & create a new subfolder and name it something like : 3rd Party Plugs.

This is where you'll create folders for your acquired & purchased plug-ins and scripts. Copy any existing ones that you already have here into their own sub. You'll need to copy any needed .key files and such for purchased plugs to wherever they need to go.

Also, if you don't do so already, go into the new installs BIN folder and create a Configs folder.

This is the folder you need to point to in your startup icons command line area, and where your config file changes get saved to instead of some buried folder on your root drive..

Once you get the new version installed and smoke tested, make sure your registration key is working, etc. then simply repeat the saving of those 4 cfg files for the new version before you do anything so you have them of the default install just in case, then load the previous ones you saved earlier. Your menus should all be in tact; might have to re-register things such as LWCad if you have it, but you should be pretty much there.

spherical
08-13-2015, 08:11 PM
then load the previous [menu/keyboard configs] you saved earlier. Your menus should all be in tact; might have to re-register things such as LWCad if you have it, but you should be pretty much there.

This is sometimes dangerous. More than once, the default menus have changed in a new version. If you do this without checking, you'll wipe those defaults out. New stuff won't appear and stuff removed will be back but inaccessible. Therefore, it may be advisable to create your own tabs that have nothing to do with the defaults and save those out to be transferred to the new install alongside the new defaults.

Ma3rk
08-14-2015, 05:44 AM
This is sometimes dangerous. More than once, the default menus have changed in a new version. If you do this without checking, you'll wipe those defaults out. New stuff won't appear and stuff removed will be back but inaccessible. Therefore, it may be advisable to create your own tabs that have nothing to do with the defaults and save those out to be transferred to the new install alongside the new defaults.

That's why I save out the new "default" menus. You can then edit and save out branches and essentially do what you're suggesting, but that's a bit more involved.

jeric_synergy
08-14-2015, 06:18 PM
New stuff won't appear and stuff removed will be back but inaccessible.
Just to clarify: in the situation spherical describes, if plugins are re-added (by SCAN, this happens automatically), they won't be present IN THE U.I, but you will still be able to FIND them in the Menu Editor and the Key Editor. Certainly inconvenient, because you'll have to manually re-add them to your customized U.I.

Just wanted to reduce the dire-ness of "inaccessible".

spherical
08-15-2015, 12:57 AM
If the capability has been removed (IOW, superseded by something else) and the new menu reflects that, putting an old menu back in will bring back the button to activate the tool that is now obsolete/removed; but it won't activate because it isn't there anymore TO BE activated. The menu entry will be there, but connected to nothing.