PDA

View Full Version : Separating Polygons to UV map

kevinh
08-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Can you select a group of polygons and separate them temporarily so that you can you UV map them? I think there must be a command to do this, but I can't figure out which one it is. Or do I not want to do this? I had a vase like object. I mapped the bottom as planar and the sides as a cylinder. When I when to resize the cylinder body map, there were two rows of squares at the bottom of the map. These turned out to be points...the ring where the base joined the body. I'm thinking I would not have had these points if I had temporarily split the mesh. Am I right or wrong? And what command do I use to split it and then merge it together again at the end of the mapping?

Thanks.

ConjureBunny
08-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Sometimes it pays to unweld first :)

You might try that command and see if that helps.

-Chilton

Kryslin
08-12-2015, 11:56 PM
Also, you can use ABF Unwrap, since it respects edge selections.

jeric_synergy
08-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Can't you just select polygons, create map with use [Projection], select different polys, ADD to map using different [Projection]?

(Note sometimes LWM uses the label "Create" when it means "Create OR ADD". Conspicuously, with Parts.)

But yeah, temporarily UnWelding shared points is a standard tactic

Oldcode
08-13-2015, 04:47 AM
Here is an excellent tutorial on how to create UV maps. I learned a lot by this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3cNxgNvYxU

Good Luck,

jeric_synergy
08-13-2015, 09:15 AM
Good one, Oldcode.

kevinh
08-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the tips and the video link. The videos are very helpful. I downloaded the plugings that were used in the video and I put them in the plugins folder. I didn't create a separate folder them. Should I? I added the plugins on the Utilities tab. Do you just access them from the large list at the bottom of the left menu of the Utilities tab? Are are you suppose to some how categories them so they show up on the map menus?

Thanks

jeric_synergy
08-13-2015, 12:49 PM
I downloaded the plugings that were used in the video and I put them in the plugins folder. I didn't create a separate folder them. Should I? I added the plugins on the Utilities tab. Do you just access them from the large list at the bottom of the left menu of the Utilities tab? Are are you suppose to some how categories them so they show up on the map menus?
Thanks
1) I make a THIRD PARTY PLUGINS and a THIRD PARTY SCRIPTS folder(s) inside my PLUGINS folder because a) LW3dG will alter their plugins as they work on the software, so they change every version, so B) having a THIRD PARTY folder allows me to simply copy the folder over to any new installation of LW.

2) Plugins and scripts seem to get automatically loaded into ADDITIONAL, but that's a terrible place for them to stay, cuz it's a mess. Better to MAKE A NEW TAB using the MENU EDITOR that makes sense to YOU and populate it with your specific tools. A new tab makes it easier to locate them, and doesn't interfere with people attempting to help you with the existing tools.

If you only want to expend a minimum of effort, at least alphabetize and break up ADDITIONAL into screen-height chunks so you stand a chance of finding something. But an actual menu tab is far better.

JoePoe
08-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Can you select a group of polygons and separate them temporarily so that you can you UV map them?....

I actually think the answer you're looking for is... a simple cut and paste. (Still Merge to reconstitute, though :).)
Unweld is good if you want to split things up into individual polys. For groups it'll still work... it's just overkill imho.