PDA

View Full Version : Chamfer point -----> Crash?

ActionBob
08-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Anybody try to chamfer a point? I was just starting up modeler (11.6.3, Windows 10 64 bit) to do a little modeling exercise by making some objects that I had seen online in other subdivision surface modeling tuts.

Take a flat plane, subdivide it and select the interior points. It can be one point or many. If you try to chamfer it / them, modeler immediately (or almost immediately) crashes.

Anyone else? Bueller?

-Adrian...

ActionBob
08-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Seems my installation is unstable. I am going to uninstall and reinstall. Perhaps that will fix the issues... I just tried some of the LW_Brush tools and got a crash as well. I did an in place upgrade with Windows 10 instead of a fresh install and I think some stuff has become corrupted... Drag - now I have to reinstall all my plug-ins too...

-Adrian

ActionBob
08-11-2015, 09:41 PM
I uninstalled and reinstalled lightwave without any plugins added and I am still getting crash upon trying to chamfer points from the multiply tab. Can anyone else confirm this in their versions? I am using 11.6.3.

Thanks.

-Adrian

ActionBob
08-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Funny thing is that it works on a solid object like a sphere, but trying to use it on a single plane that is subdivided, it is instant crash....

I guess if I want a single plane with holes in it at the point intersections, I will have to make a box, chamfer the points I want and then delete all the other sides except for what I want.... Not the best workflow.....

-Adrian

- - - Updated - - -

Spoke too soon, tried to do it on a sphere again and it crashed...

Hey this echo-chamber is fun!!!!!!

:-P

-Adrian

madno
08-12-2015, 12:36 AM
So that you are not so alone here :)
On 2015.2 it works with no crash (even with plane).

Sorry, no 11.x installed anymore.

Waves of light
08-12-2015, 01:36 AM
You're not alone and this bug has been raised before:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?137943-Anyone-else-get-a-crash-with-chamfering-points-in-LW-11-5-1-or-11-6
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139637-Chamfer-crashes-on-points-in-11-6-and-11-6-1

And in this one, a user suggests using the arrow keys to drag, instead of the mouse:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133847-LightWave-11-5-Modeller-Chamfering-Points-instant-crash-happen-to-you

ActionBob
08-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the responses. I did find that it was unstable - mostly crashing and sometimes working without incident; but mostly crashing. I was suspecting that it had something to do with my recent upgrade to Windows 10, but it is good(?) to see that it is a different issue.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to circumvent the bug as well. I will try that. Now I have to reinstall and look up all the keys to get my plug-ins working when I get home today.... :-)

-Adrian (now feeling not so alone and cold; warmed by Waves of Light).

Snosrap
08-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Works fine here on 11.6.3

JoePoe
08-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Only a crash every so often for me. 9 out of 10 times it's okay.... 11.6.3 Mac.

...I guess if I want a single plane with holes in it at the point intersections, I will have to make a box, chamfer the points I want and then delete all the other sides except for what I want.... Not the best workflow.....

Certainly Chamfer should work, but.....

Rounder does the same thing. And, if we're talking holes, it's even better because you can vary the # of segments.