08-11-2015, 05:13 PM
https://home.otoy.com/otoy-unveils-octanerender-3-worlds-best-gpu-renderer/

oh boy

tonyrizo2003
08-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Very cool!!

Lewis
08-11-2015, 11:51 PM
Massive update to already great 2.x. Great work by OTOY.

tyrot
08-12-2015, 02:31 AM
i do not get it .. is it released already ?.. that page posted in march...

Lewis
08-12-2015, 03:15 AM
No, it's not release today, Release is late this year, now they are presenting it on Siggraph and you can try beta of 3.0 on their WEB page

tyrot
08-12-2015, 08:44 AM
thanks lewis

Markc
08-12-2015, 11:47 AM
OOOoooo finally CPU and AMD GPU support :thumbsup:

mummyman
08-12-2015, 11:49 AM
How are Octane's Subsurface renders? Anyone mess with that?

wesleycorgi
08-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Was at Siggraph today and saw a demo of octane 3 with openvdb particles imported from Houdini. awesome stuff! They were also showing off the Lightwave integration.

Dillon
08-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Please say more about what you saw (specifically Lightwave integration)?

OTOY is going to disrupt the entire CG / film industry. VR filmmaking (as in, creating a space for the audience to walk THROUGH the film) is going to be HUGE.

Was at Siggraph today and saw a demo of octane 3 with openvdb particles imported from Houdini. awesome stuff! They were also showing off the Lightwave integration.

hdace
08-12-2015, 03:12 PM
How are Octane's Subsurface renders? Anyone mess with that?

Noisy.

mummyman
08-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Noisy.

Really! That sounds pretty shocking based on some of the nice renders.. But I've yet to see anything in action, other than that damn dragon rendered in the preview window moving it around. Nice to know. Still would love to see someone do a video of even a simple, full render. Or a sphere with heavy displacement and subsurface on it. I don't have Octance.. Still shopping around.

realgray
08-12-2015, 05:52 PM
I have Octane and love it. I'll see if I can post something soon. There are a lot of c4d octane renders on vimeo. I believe the r17 video was rendered in Octane but I could be mistaken. If anyone saw anything new regarding octaneLW at siggraph please share. I really hope that TFD can be rendered in Octane 3.

wesleycorgi
08-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Please say more about what you saw (specifically Lightwave integration)?

OTOY is going to disrupt the entire CG / film industry. VR filmmaking (as in, creating a space for the audience to walk THROUGH the film) is going to be HUGE.

These were two separate demos, so i think the LW Octane plugin was v2. I was asking the person (Billy Brooks, who is a LW user and was the VFX supervisor of Space Station 76) about particles in Octane. He was excited to show me the openvdb stuff. He just learned Houdini the day of the show so that he could demo particles. I hope that LW can take advantage of this because the way Billy iterated the simple cloud he created was freaking awesome.

ConjureBunny
08-12-2015, 09:06 PM
VR filmmaking (as in, creating a space for the audience to walk THROUGH the film) is going to be HUGE.

I *completely* agree.

I'd love to see LightWave users on top of this next wave.

-Chilton

Dillon
08-13-2015, 07:43 AM
As a life long filmmaker (and sometimes musician/sound designer), I've been waiting for this day to come, but had no idea what it would look like until a few months ago when OTOY started talking about their new tech.

It's clear as day how this will wind up. Microsoft Hololens is a nice sneak peak, but the FOV is far too small for wide acceptance.

In a few years time, whem HMD's are stylish and comfortable to wear, VR and AR applications are going to explode.

I personally want to explore educational and documentary style VR applications. With my strong background in filmmaking, greenscreen, VFX and 3D, I still find myself at a loss as to where I should begin updating my skills so I can jump on the train at the optimum time without wasting time learning software that won't apply in 3 years time.

Right now, its looking like a combination of Project Tango (or something similar) to capture the environment into a 3D software and game engine, with intel sense (MS kinect?) tech to capture character animation, and facial capture (it's crazy how advanced this looks now) for facial expression/animation.

Drive all of this realistic CGI (based on real photography) inside a 3D game engine, and you have a virtual world that looks incredibly real, but is interactive.

What a time and dilemma to live in! I wish there were some VR courses or something I could take to learn the theories emerging around VR use for education, mental health, and entertainment. All I currently have is my obsessive reading of various forums related to VR and game design. That's what it means to be at the bleeding edge of tech, I guess.

Currently, it feels rather limiting to be muddling through relearning 3D modeling apps, texturing software (like allegro), and motion capture rigs, knowing that all this new tech (NewTek, where are you?) is right around the corner.

Maybe it would be a good idea for me to take a course in game design (theory, apps, ?). Anyone know of any online programs that give a thorough education in game design?

I *completely* agree.

-Chilton

Dillon
08-13-2015, 08:57 AM
And The Verge just released this video today about VR filmmaking: "We're finding that we have to relearn and redefine the concept of filmmaking". Video is focused on ILM VR lab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeaLgPMGzkQ

ConjureBunny
08-13-2015, 09:48 AM
There are a few core concepts here that are limited by well, computer horsepower :)

You have panoramic movies in general, which YouTube currently supports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRRHiP8fvb4

Then you have stereo panoramic movies*** , which get you really immersed, but don't let you actually walk around the scene.
(like the ones Littlestar and VRSE are showing)

And lastly you have interactive realtime movies, where you can pan around the scene and look at things from different angles. This last one requires a realtime engine (like a game engine) coupled with pre-rendered bits.

I suppose at some point we'll also have augmented reality movies, where characters will appear in your room with you, to act out a scene.

All of this is doable now, between the nearly free game engines and a copy of LightWave. It just requires effort :)

-----

*** - Today we're throwing our Stereo Pano camera out to UberCam beta testers. The goal is to let any LightWave user with any computer (fancy GPU or not) render stereoscopic 360 panoramic movies in a single pass per frame. No stitching, no additional hardware or software. It's all done in LightWave using a custom camera:

The issue here is that these types of movies currently require special software to play back, and there's no way to view them outside a VR headset. We're in talks with a few companies who are trying to build streaming services around these types of movies, and will report back when we have more info.

-Chilton

Dillon
08-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Awesome sauce! I think I'll take the plunge and upgrade my seat of LW to 2015, and get your Ubercam.

Here's another new article about OTOY and it's lightfield technology http://uploadvr.com/otoy-light-field-demos/ Very very interesting that they're using interpolation to extrapolate a scene that far exceeds what was initially captured. Also, there's mention of Project Tango being used to track and overlay a lightfield for an AR effect.

It's all happening so fast!

ConjureBunny
08-13-2015, 11:39 AM
It's all happening so fast!

It's really unbelievable. A few months ago I was a contractor for a VR company, and they were freaking out over how fast things were changing. By the time they had gone from concept to design, the market needed new concepts :D

Dillon
08-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Hilarious.

So I'm not being hyper paranoid about where to devote my energies to by trying to jump on this fast moving train. I don't want to waste ANY time learning things that will be religated to the dust bins in a couple years.

I really suspect that 3D modeling, texturing, and animating will be disrupted once the Vive and Rift come out. Their controllers are incredibly precise, and will make for a much more satisfying modeling/texturing/animating session to do it inside of a VR environment. So while my modeling skills are quite lacking (always have been), I'm anticipating that a new 3D modeler will emerge inside of the VR space. Soon. Tilt Brush is a tantalizing look into how to create inside of a VR space.

LW3DG and Rob Powers? I hope you're planning for this!

ConjureBunny
08-13-2015, 11:47 AM
So I'm not being hyper paranoid about where to devote my energies to by trying to jump on this fast moving train. I don't want to waste ANY time learning things that will be religated to the dust bins in a couple years.

Not at all wrong to be paranoid. Some of the people we're talking to about streaming panoramas are in panic mode right now because they know this will be huge, the NEED CONTENT, but they can't find it. Everyone's using YouTube, but it's a giant mess there.

And then, they're also trying to figure out how to manage the massive bandwidth this uses.

Meanwhile, the relatively few users out there are HOOKED on this stuff.

-Chilton

hdace
08-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Really! That sounds pretty shocking based on some of the nice renders.. But I've yet to see anything in action, other than that damn dragon rendered in the preview window moving it around. Nice to know. Still would love to see someone do a video of even a simple, full render. Or a sphere with heavy displacement and subsurface on it. I don't have Octance.. Still shopping around.

Human skin always comes out noisy if you use the recommended SSS node tree. I think it'll get fixed with Octane 3 but we'll see. Hope so.

Sometimes (not always) it's possible to lose the noise using NeatVideo. There's another noise remover that's supposed to be even better.

Dillon
08-17-2015, 04:49 PM
A thought hit me yesterday - rendering lightfields!

Not sure if you've been staying on top of all the information coming from OTOY, but it appears they've found a way to render out lightfields, and actually use software interpolation to make these lightfield renders small.

Curious to know if you're looking at lightfield rendering, or if its even practical at this point? Love to have head tracking (for position AND rotation) be enabled for viewing a rendered CG scene.

A man can dream :)

Not at all wrong to be paranoid. Some of the people we're talking to about streaming panoramas are in panic mode right now because they know this will be huge, the NEED CONTENT, but they can't find it. Everyone's using YouTube, but it's a giant mess there.

And then, they're also trying to figure out how to manage the massive bandwidth this uses.

Meanwhile, the relatively few users out there are HOOKED on this stuff.

-Chilton

Dillon
08-18-2015, 10:28 AM
I *completely* agree.

-Chilton

I just tried to place an order for Ubercam, but as soon as I added to cart, it appears your website went offline. I hope I didn't crash it!

Dillon

m.d.
08-20-2015, 09:13 PM
https://twitter.com/PoserPhysics/status/634532279554076672

i believe this is still octane 2?

gordonrobb
08-21-2015, 01:41 AM
https://twitter.com/PoserPhysics/status/634532279554076672

i believe this is still octane 2?

Nope, that's version 3 in the modo plugin being previewed.

allabulle
08-31-2015, 07:06 AM
Anyone know if v3 is expected soon? I'm about to purchase a license and I wouldn't want to miss a new version by a few days. Any news on that?

I also have to check the upgrade policy at Otoy.

Lewis
08-31-2015, 07:49 AM
It won't be few days for sure. Plan is by end of this year whcih can be week or 3+ months, there is no definite date of release yet so if you need it for a project(s) buy now and you'll get back money fast, or sit and wait till 3.0 is ready :).

allabulle
08-31-2015, 09:04 AM
Thanks Lewis. That's exactly my take too. Just wanted to check if there was information about the imminence of the launch available by more in the know people than me. :)