PDA

View Full Version : LW 2015 - What happened to AgentInfo?

SarahP
08-11-2015, 12:50 PM
This is related to flocking, where AgentInfo would be used so objects can move across a surface but when I loaded my scene in 2015 from 11.6, I tried to search for AgentInfo, only to find out that it no longer exist. I tried to search for answers on Google/Newtek but I cannot find any information. Can someone tell me if AgentInfo has been renamed, removed and there is another way to make your agents move around on another object/surface? I was asked to do a flocking tutorial, even on 11.6, but I think it is kind of obsolete to demonstrate on a version older than the current version, as more people will be using LW 2015 now.

Thanks in advance!

Greenlaw
08-11-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure what happened to AgentInfo (I think I remember the tool you're talking about,) but, technically, you can do that using native Flocking with the Ray Cast node. I did a search on YouTube and this tutorial came up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uiDHsOYizE

There are other similar videos there.

The limitation with this method is that there is no real 'AI' associated with the instances and their animations cannot change dynamically by event, but this method can still be convincing and useful for many situations.

As for AgentInfo, if it's the tool I remember seeing demonstrated in this forum a few years ago, it was never released AFAIK.

G.

souzou
08-11-2015, 01:36 PM
It is in the 2015 manual (p.855) along with raycast(flocking) node which is also missing from my 2015.2

Greenlaw
08-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Oh, sorry...I misunderstood the request. I was thinking of a third party plugin for generating crowds. I don't remember what that was called but obviously it wasn't AgentInfo. :p

Anyway, the nodes mentioned above (agentInfo, raycast) should be available for LightWave 2015.2 and the latest 2015.3...at least I see them on my tablet.

If you don't see them, open Edit Plugins and type AgentInfo in the search box. If it doesn't come up, you'll need rescan your plugins directory.

If it does come up, then it's just not added to your current menus. Go to Edit Menu and select Default. If the selection is already on Default, select something else then select Default. This should set your menus to the most current menu options for LightWave, including all the latest plugins.

Hope this helps.

G.

souzou
08-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Hmm it's in my plugins list, but the flocking nodes are not listed in my nodes list (just tried resetting the menus as well). Am guessing this is the same for the OP?

Greenlaw
08-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Hmm...let me double check that on my system. BRB.

Greenlaw
08-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Oh, geez...you guys are right. The plug-in is there but the node itself is not. Better report this.

G.

souzou
08-11-2015, 03:43 PM
I'm guessing this is not an oft-used feature for its absence to only be noticed now... :D

Greenlaw
08-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Probably. I've only ever used Flocking for flying objects but I'm sure the need to use it for ground activity will come up sooner or later though. Putting a report in now. :p

SarahP
08-12-2015, 02:43 AM
Hmm it's in my plugins list, but the flocking nodes are not listed in my nodes list (just tried resetting the menus as well). Am guessing this is the same for the OP?Yes, exactly this! Never knew that it is in the plugins list but not functional. I am pretty new to flocking and AgentInfo seems to do a good job on moving agents on a surface.

Every4thPixel
08-12-2015, 04:48 AM
I think it is not missing but it replaced by other info nodes. Like the normal item info and particle info node and the standard ray cast node.

Greenlaw
08-12-2015, 09:06 AM
Hmm. Okay...I think that makes sense but they should put a note in the manual about the change. I'll ask. Thanks for the tip!

jeric_synergy
08-12-2015, 07:58 PM
Hmm. Okay...I think that makes sense but they should put a note in the manual about the change.
::cough:: ::cough:: crowd-enhanced documention. ::cough::