PDA

View Full Version : Making selections in layout

squarewulf
08-10-2015, 08:26 PM
There has got to be a better way

Fishing through for objects can be insanely frustrating when you have a huge amount of items in your scene. Is there any alternative to selecting items?
I've been using LW for years and just always bit the bullet when it came to this issue, but now i'm tired of biting bullets.

prometheus
08-11-2015, 03:28 AM
Guess it depend on what level you are working on, if it is within bullet or instancing etc..that might limit it a lot.
otherwise by scene..using scene editor, or schematics.

MonroePoteet
08-11-2015, 06:44 AM
Yes, this is really frustrating. It would be very nice if there was an additional column in Scene Editor to allow a "Hide From Selection Menus" option, preferably with named "selection sets" that can be saved and loaded.

mTp

Ryan Roye
08-11-2015, 10:18 AM
I know for a fact the LW dev team is acutely aware of this problem, in the meantime the only real alternatives are:

- use the "assign tools" functions (which bypasses the lists entirely by making everything selection-based). Search "assign" to find out where these tools are. Of course, these are only applicable to standard constraints like Same as Item, Spline control, IK, etc.
- use expressions (which let you just type in the name of the item in question rather than pick it)
- set up the constraint in an empty scene and then use "load from scene" wherever possible.

I imagine the tricky part on the programmer's side of the coin is ensuring that the UI changes made don't break a bunch of things in the process.