PDA

View Full Version : LW & Clarisse IFX

tomtm
08-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Hi,
both LW and Clarisse seem to be very fast and supperb applications.
for scenes using trilions of polygons, Clarisse is insane.

But, is it possible to import .lwo with texture in Clarisse, or do I have to apply them in Clarisse?
If I do this in LW, just the goemetry appears....

I did not find any description about.

Greets Tom

tomtm
08-11-2015, 12:51 AM
sorry, I worte some nonsense:
"If I do this in LW, just the geometry appears..."
I mean, if I load the lwo in Clarisse directly (or via load .lws) just the materials are availabe but no attributes. No color, no textures.
Did I miss something?

thanks

sukardi
08-11-2015, 01:54 AM
I think Clarisse has its own material system - so you have to reapply the texture.

tomtm
08-11-2015, 04:04 AM
Yes it has it's material system, but every program has it, so I just can't believe that a such
genius piece of sofware can't import material basics like color and texture....
Or do I miss something...?

Tartiflette
08-11-2015, 05:58 AM
Yes it has it's material system, but every program has it, so I just can't believe that a such
genius piece of sofware can't import material basics like color and texture....
Or do I miss something...?
I think a better place to ask that kind of question would be on Isotropix forums, since i'm not sure you'll find a great deal of people who could help you there. (but i also could be totally wrong, of course ! :D )
From my (lame) testing, it appears Clarisse just load the geometry so you'll have to apply anything you want in Clarisse.
But again, some of the coders of the program would probably be a lot more helpful on this, with insights as to how it's working internally. :)

Anyway, i agree Clarisse is really impressive at handling such heavy scenes !

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

3dworks
08-11-2015, 07:04 AM
i'm interested as well in the clarisse - lw workflow. may i ask you here if did you use clarisse in any production yet together with lightwave? what kind of works are you doing in 3d?

tomtm
08-11-2015, 07:11 AM
Hi, no I didn't made any production, just evaluate it as a software for environment creating. Because it's easy to have a scene with
20 000 000 000 000 (Polygons) thruh scattering (instancing) ... that' s crazy...
Workflow with LW 2015 Update 3 and Alembic import is good, or even with .lws or .lwo import.
I'm just wondering why it's not loading textures, this is the only thing it doesn't make sense at all...
I already asked there in the forum but didn't get any answer, so maybe here it's better.

Greets Tom

tomtm
08-12-2015, 11:58 PM
Finally I got an answer.
Clarisse does just imporr geometry from lwo, no textures.
All shading work has do be done in Clarisse again.

I really don't understand, why this app does not do this easy tag.
It diesn't make sense at all..

This Alembic format is also very strange..

3dworks
08-13-2015, 01:35 AM
Finally I got an answer.
Clarisse does just imporr geometry from lwo, no textures.
All shading work has do be done in Clarisse again.

I really don't understand, why this app does not do this easy tag.
It diesn't make sense at all..

This Alembic format is also very strange..

OUCH! this is not really making clarisse to be a good option for any lightwaver... what is the problem when importing alembic?

tomtm
08-13-2015, 03:32 AM
Hi,
generally, Clarisse don't import the textures from any 3d format (except very basic from obj)
But the guys at Clarisse told me, because it's a look dev. app all assigning has to be done in Clarisse.
I understand, shading has to be done there, but in a case of importing 30 objects who have already
applied texture you need to manually load 30 textures.....
The same with Alembic, if you import a bigger scene, you have to reassign every material, every texture since
Alembic does not support material nor texture support, just importing animation and geometry.

Maybe someone can explain me the advantage of this missing stuff in Alembic.
Should be easy for every programm to read a path to the texture.

Sorry for posting it here and a little OT, but I need an answer :-)

bbuxton
08-15-2015, 07:08 PM
I just got Clarrise on their 50% special and have been looking at how it gets along with Lightwave.
Basic materials do go across but texture files need to be relinked.
Scene management is different to Lightwave, I think easier to build a scene bit by bit than to port an large Lightwave scene over in one go.
So far I'm impressed with viewport performace and I think handy for scenes that get to big for Lightwave. Actually Lightwave is really good with big scenes but most of my projects start in Modo or Cinema 4D both of which suffer if the object list gets too big.

tomtm
08-16-2015, 01:32 AM
Hi,
yeah, for big scenes it's amazing fast. I hope Lightwave is also more developing in render and environment features instead of modelling. VPR is rockin fast and that's very important for layout.
Modeller is a nice to have and I like the 2 App aspect of it, or maybe LW should add like the feature in Clarisse, doubleclick the object for editing on the origin axis for shading or tweeking.
Clarisse is so far fast and realtively easy to use. But I think there are some shading tools missing.
I just found 1 fractals and a few other nodes for shading.

My wish for Lightwave, please enhance capility for heaviest instancing (with time offset like instance HD)
and even more rendering, lightning features.
Don't invest too much in Modelling features, Modo, Z Brush have them all.