PDA

View Full Version : Modo to Lightwave conversion ?

CoffeeGrinder
08-10-2015, 07:42 AM
I use Zbrush / Modo / Keyshot and other apps and I'm used to working with obj files between them. When I import into Lightwave they don't behave in the same way, I even tried from Modo export as a lwo. Is there any way of converting them in Lightwave so they have the right behaviour ?

ernpchan
08-10-2015, 09:05 AM
What is the wrong "behavior" you're getting? Very vague description of the problem.

CoffeeGrinder
08-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Not sure how to describe the problem but I think you can guess from the pic. If I create the same model in LW the same problem doesn't occur. I know I can apply smoothing to the surface but I don't have to with the LW version. It also causes slight surface distortion which messes with the refraction.

stiff paper
08-10-2015, 12:24 PM
That looks like either there's no smoothing at all on the surface or each poly is free standing (i.e. not connected to anything around it).

In Modeler, hit:
Detail > Points > Merge Points (shortcut is "m")
and it will try to merge any coincident vertices. It will tell you in the info bar at the bottom of the screen whether it's managed to merge anything. If it tells you it's merged a bunch of points, try a render.

If that doesn't work, then I really would expect it to be the surface's smoothing.

(Also... the same thing should occur if you make a similar object in LW, because a default LW surface doesn't have smoothing turned on. So that's odd.)

Ztreem
08-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Look if there is a vertex normal map in the surface editor and choose none and see if it helps.

3dworks
08-11-2015, 01:30 AM
Look if there is a vertex normal map in the surface editor and choose none and see if it helps.

that would be my guess as well. i never found any imported object using them properly. anyone with more details about when this should be used?

markus

Ztreem
08-11-2015, 03:50 AM
that would be my guess as well. i never found any imported object using them properly. anyone with more details about when this should be used?

markus

I do a lot of visualization of products and when you work with models from CAD application this festure is vital. When I import obj files from CAD (ProE/Creo/Rhino) the vertex normals works perfectly and without them I would not be able to use lightwave for my renderings. This feature works perfectly ( besides some bugs, like rotating the object in modeler screws the vertexnormals)

3dworks
08-11-2015, 04:13 AM
ah this is good to know. i'm doing mostly architecture viz, and when importing LWO's from polytrans (for example converted models from cinema 4d format) but also with some assets from turbosquid, this feature does not work well - so mostly i'm switching the normal information off.

CoffeeGrinder
08-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Thanks.

Lewis
08-13-2015, 03:00 PM
( besides some bugs, like rotating the object in modeler screws the vertexnormals)
Oliver created tool for fixing this issue in LWM. OD_RotateNormals in his OD Tools is great fix for this issue.

mash3d
08-15-2015, 04:30 AM
I use Zbrush / Modo / Keyshot and other apps and I'm used to working with obj files between them. When I import into Lightwave they don't behave in the same way, I even tried from Modo export as a lwo. Is there any way of converting them in Lightwave so they have the right behaviour ?

In modo go to the Lists tab on the rigth hand side. You shouold see Weight maps, UV maps, etc
Under "Other Maps" if you see a "Surface normal" map delete it.
Then run mesh clean up and re save your file.
For some reason when importing obj files into modo a Surface normal map gets added and that screws things up.