PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 3rd Powers Bundle

Surrealist.
08-10-2015, 01:13 AM
We talked about the prospect of something like this in another thread. But here you are:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave-3rd-powers/?utm_source=mailer_08102015&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=siggraph_2015

Great idea :)

prometheus
08-10-2015, 01:31 AM
What..is that a valid offer now..or just an idea?

Michael

Surrealist.
08-10-2015, 02:39 AM
I got an email. It is a valid offer which is a great idea. :)

prometheus
08-10-2015, 03:08 AM

I thought it must be a valid offer,since it was linked to the lightwave page, but you never know...I havenīt received any e-mail newsletter about it yet in the similar way as the upgrade offer recently, they really need to get such thing out asap, especially since you often get very little time to decide within the valid time of the offering.

This is definitly super interesting, and bundling like this is what I always wanted to see...so I need to do some maths on the offering and compare to itīs original prices.
3rd powers tool is... something Ivé been looking in to for quite some time now..so maybe.

Michael

creacon
08-10-2015, 03:13 AM
There is also a 2015.3 update in my account.

Oedo 808
08-10-2015, 03:17 AM
Am I missing something with the LWBrush upgrade offer, isn't $495 the post-charter upgrade price, so how come those guys are locked out of the deal?

lardbros
08-10-2015, 03:40 AM
This is an awesome bundle... I wish I could buy a new license just for the bundle! :)

Way to go LW3dGroup... this is a no-brainer in my opinion. A great deal for Siggraph!!! :D

erikals
08-10-2015, 04:58 AM
Am I missing something with the LWBrush upgrade offer, isn't $495 the post-charter upgrade price, so how come those guys are locked out of the deal?

was thinking the same thing...

but i'll probably just skip LW2015 anyway, and maybe 2016, heck, maybe even 2017... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/biggrin.gif

...and start buying plugins and additional software instead

...not complaining, just makes more sense

prometheus
08-10-2015, 05:15 AM
I hope to see this bundle in my account, with full pricing with vat included, it might help make it all smoother without any confusions on the exact price, just checked my account, but I have no such upgrade bundle offer in there yet.

paulk
08-10-2015, 06:09 AM
Notice the "fine print"? "This upgrade offer cannot be used in conjunction with other on-going promotions or discounts, such as Charter / Post Charter".

When we signed up for Charter/Post-Charter on Core, we were promised we would pay only $395.00/$495.00 for the next 5 full version upgrades. That's our deal.

"Cannot be combined with other offers or discounts" is standard policy for just about everything. I could give up the Post-Charter discount to get LWBrush with the $495.00 upgrade, but Newtek could reset the upgrade price for LW 2016 or 2017 back to $695.00, or higher, and I'd be hosed.

I look at it this way:
1. Full LW license with all the 3rd Powers toys is $995.
2. I can upgrade to the same version of LW for $495.
3. I have $500.00 to play with for 3rd Powers toys.

prometheus
08-10-2015, 06:27 AM
So I might just not even bother about this deal due to confusing charter core terms..blah.
why canīt folks make it easier for each other...a stop sign or welcome your eligable for this upgrade sign in my account.. could work:D then again...since itīs not there in my account, maybe thatīs telling me I am not eligable?

prometheus
08-10-2015, 06:36 AM
I just got the email offer with buy now, which takes me to my login page, but nothing there to buy..so I reckon I am not eligable for it?

erikals
08-10-2015, 06:40 AM
When we signed up for Charter/Post-Charter on Core, we were promised we would pay only $395.00/$495.00 for the next 5 full version upgrades.

yes, certainly a good deal, at least if you are Post-Charter... >

LW2015 - $395
LW2016 - $395
LW2017 - $395
LW2018 - $395

unless you skip one, then the deal is off

zapper1998
08-10-2015, 07:34 AM
interesting thanks

did not see the 2015.3 update till today. wow

interesting information...

So how much would I have to pay ?
Being a charter member ?
It is real confusing totally.
Will all these toys be in the Lightwave_2016 ???

Mike

ianr
08-10-2015, 07:37 AM
YES a great way to go ,Well done YOU KNOW WHO.,!

prometheus
08-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Ivé had a second look on this, and it looked to good to be true, I initially thought I could upgrade from 11.6.3 to lightwave 2015 with the full 3rd powers bundle, that doesnīt seem to be the case...so Ill just pass on this.
upgrade only seem to be lightwave 2015 and the 3rd powers brush, not the full bundle.

Wade
08-10-2015, 07:40 AM
Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post

"When we signed up for Charter/Post-Charter on Core, we were promised we would pay only $395.00/$495.00 for the next 5 full version upgrades.
yes, certainly a good deal, at least if you are Post-Charter... >

LW2015 - $395
LW2016 - $395
LW2017 - $395
LW2018 - $395

unless you skip one, then the deal is off"

Well no at first is was a lifetime kind of think but now 5 full point releases - not bad but not what it once was.
So having been early to upgrade to each and every LW release I don't get to take advantage of the complete 3rdpowers package only the brush tools- which look great but I would rather get the whole package. It almost makes sense to buy yet one more copy of LW but yet I have 3 as is and that is more than I can put to use ATM.

So how about a deal with for those "charter members" who have already upgraded to LW2015 and have more copies of LW than they can put to use ATM? A nice deal it is but not so much for me. Here is hopping we see the brush stuff in the next full release of LW.

zapper1998
08-10-2015, 07:55 AM
Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post

So how about a deal with for those "charter members" who have already upgraded to LW2015 and have more copies of LW than they can put to use ATM? A nice deal it is but not so much for me. Here is hopping we see the brush stuff in the next full release of LW.

Ditto
Ditto

ya that's what I was asking??

How about a 50% off on the LightWave 3rd Powers Bundle...

hmmmmmmm

:)

Marander
08-10-2015, 07:56 AM
The full 3rd Powers plugins without discount is $624.00, the brush only $169.00. No way they can bundle all the plugins with the upgrade price. The new license deal with all plugins is crazy good... the upgrade is ok if you don't have LWBrush yet and need 2015 functionality (which I don't). I should have waited a while when I bought LW 11.6.2, LWCAD, Advanced Placement, the 3rd Power tools and other plugins... would have saved me a lot. Only got one useless 11.6.3 update since then, not even bug fixes for 11.6.x which I expected at least. I'll wait for 2016 and see what it offers.

Prometheus, I think the MetaMesh, Boolean and HeatShrink+ would be a great addition to your toolset. These tools are not so expensive but very cool. But also LWBrush to sculpt rocks, landscapes...

Ivé had a second look on this, and it looked to good to be true, I initially thought I could upgrade from 11.6.3 to lightwave 2015 with the full 3rd powers bundle, that doesnīt seem to be the case...so Ill just pass on this.
upgrade only seem to be lightwave 2015 and the 3rd powers brush, not the full bundle.

Medi8or
08-10-2015, 08:25 AM
The charter/post-charter seems to be just a gamble that maybe upgrade prices will increase in the future. The two upgrades we've had so far could be purchased with equal or better deals as non-charter.
2015 does have some nice updates, but not really enough for me to upgrade. Only reason would be to keep my charter-membership. Hoping for increase in upgradeprices seems strange, so I think I'll just skip 2015.

Lito
08-10-2015, 08:44 AM
Interesting bundle. LWBrush really rocks I bought it in January during the 3rd Powers sale. I wish I had bought the other bundle that included the rest of the 3rd power tools back at the beginning of the year. I am hoping they repeat the 2 bundles in January so I can complete the collection. Unexpected expenses really suck and always seem to happen when good things go on sale.

I have been saving up for the 3rd power bundle and a LWCAD 5 upgrade cause I don't want to compromise if they both happen to go up at the same time. ;)

prometheus
08-10-2015, 08:47 AM
The full 3rd Powers plugins without discount is $624.00, the brush only $169.00. No way they can bundle all the plugins with the upgrade price. The new license deal with all plugins is crazy good... the upgrade is ok if you don't have LWBrush yet and need 2015 functionality (which I don't). I should have waited a while when I bought LW 11.6.2, LWCAD, Advanced Placement, the 3rd Power tools and other plugins... would have saved me a lot. Only got one useless 11.6.3 update since then, not even bug fixes for 11.6.x which I expected at least. I'll wait for 2016 and see what it offers.

Prometheus, I think the MetaMesh, Boolean and HeatShrink+ would be a great addition to your toolset. These tools are not so expensive but very cool. But also LWBrush to sculpt rocks, landscapes...

I wonīt go for lw brush only, or the bundle without lw brush, itīs all or nothing for me.
have to wait and see...if 3rd powers has a full bundle of all his tools someday, that might be worth it..but I would really like to have the offer straight up on what I would be eligable for within my lightwave account, maybe I am lazy in terms of
checking that out for myself, but I think the lw group could gain a lot to make sure what your status is in the account page and when bundles like this shows up, also a note on what is valid for you.

I am by far more interested in the 3rd powers tools than the actual 2015 upgrade.

lardbros
08-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Well no at first is was a lifetime kind of think but now 5 full point releases - not bad but not what it once was.

I joined CORE when it first happened, and I don't remember them saying we'd get discounted upgrades forever!
Unless my memory has gone awry... it has been 10 years since then.

I'm not entirely sure how anyone can see these bundles as a negative thing really. I do wonder if LW3d Group could ever do anything right for some people. They're trying their best, and a bundle like this is pretty awesome, and must have been tricky negotiating it. It's great marketing whatever people choose, and some great tools are on offer.

jeric_synergy
08-10-2015, 09:15 AM
I'm Charter, and I'm not going to whinge about newcomers getting a great deal. I took my chances, and I'm ok with the good deal I already got.

Also, what lardbros said.

Wade
08-10-2015, 09:42 AM
I'm Charter, and I'm not going to whinge about newcomers getting a great deal. I took my chances, and I'm ok with the good deal I already got.

Also, what lardbros said.

Yep I think getting new folk in the mix with great deals is great its just not something that is a deal for me. Yet I have upgraded a copy of LW at each and every upgrade as they become available. My memory is good and that was the deal as stated but it was then changed and an refund offered for those that did not think the change a good one. Not a big deal just history and in that this deal is good for newcomers I would like to see something as good for those loyal to a fault. The future looks bright for LW its just been slow in showing up. :)

Medi8or
08-10-2015, 09:56 AM
I'm not entirely sure how anyone can see these bundles as a negative thing really.I'm not saying the bundles are negative. I'm saying excluding charter-members from the bundles and better discounts kind of removes the point of the charter/post-charter deal. Upgrade price was just $395, but post-charter members had to pay $495. With this new offer they won't get the bundle. Great "thank you" for taking a chance on Core..

calilifestyle
08-10-2015, 10:16 AM
I wish you could pick between Lw-brush or Cage deformer, oh well

Ryan Roye
08-10-2015, 10:19 AM
For people upgrading, LWbrush provides the kind of substantial update people have been looking for in modeler; I have nothing but good things to say about them and it is very clear the 3rd powers group worked very hard to make the plugins as solid and easy to use as possible. The learning curve for them is very low, and they boost productivity substantially. For animators, creating endomorphs becomes a ridiculously simple process.

For new customers; even just the cage and lattice tools are Lightwave's salvation in terms of animation. You can sculpt MDD cached sequences, add deformation layers and employ non-destructive secondary animation workflows. You also gain access to much more flexible, non-destructive dynamics workflows (for example, you can apply ragdoll physics to an existing character rig without discarding said rig).

Since buying the tools, every single one of my commercial projects has made heavy use of them. Sometimes clients want more detail on a completed animation, or they want you to make a very minor change to a simulation that would otherwise require you to do massive amounts of re-calculating and guesswork to make the adjustments. Cages/lattices are the most powerful tools in an animator's arsenal and I can't recommend having them highly enough.

bazsa73
08-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Should I update or not? Oh oh oh, what a dilemma, what a dilemma, wife gave green light but still, we must do complete renovation in the flat. Boy oh boy oh boy. I keep an eye on this one. Boy oh boy oh boy. Too hot here. I am getting crazy.

Oedo 808
08-10-2015, 11:01 AM
I ain't gonna post the super-long version (hopefully) because I can't be bothered to keep it up if matched. I don't begrudge new users the full bundle, I don't disagree with the LWG not being able to afford bundles with the charter membership price, but what we have now is a situation with the post-charter membership where maybe it will be beneficial to keep and pass on the bundle, or maybe it won't and you'll keep your membership and it'll get you nothing more except you'll have missed out on bundles. That's a crappy thing to have to weigh up.

I can't understand the thought process behind denying it to people when they've deigned that they can afford licences with it at $495, it seems petty to make them choose, it's not that ****ing good a deal if you would have wanted to take advantage of the Poser offer and now the LWBrush offer. If it were then no one would elect to missing it even once, keep it so people have to upgrade to keep it as an option, but give them the option of taking the full price upgrade bundle, you don't lose anything in comparison to other customers and it seems like a cheap way to claw back on the charter deal just because you aren't happy it was made in the first place.

CaptainMarlowe
08-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Does someone knows what's new in the 2015.3 update ?

meatycheesyboy
08-10-2015, 11:24 AM

http://static.lightwave3d.com/downloads/installers/lightwave_2015/lightwave_2015-3_change-log_20150809.txt

Here's the change log.

Chris S. (Fez)
08-10-2015, 11:25 AM

LightWave 2015.3 (Build 2847) Final Release Change Log - Aug 9, 2015

Please report any issues you encounter to [email protected]

2015.3 will install into its own directory. 2015.3 uses the same license as your 2015 license - just drag-and-drop the license into the interface of 2015.3 when first launching 2015.3.

2015.3 FIXES

LAYOUT
Virtual Studio traits now not limited to 10 takes
Selective 'Load Items from Scene' causes incorrect bones hierarchy recreation
Remove Pivot Rotation from bones not working as stated.
Undock Preview problem
"Changed Scene" flag not set by several events.
'Current Camera' in viewport doesn't refresh
Image Viewer and Color space display problem
PNG will load as 8 bit even though it is 16bit.
Object Use Global switched when replacing the object with Layer or Null
Geometry turns black when lightwave scene is saved

LAYOUT PLUGINS
Mixed objects make FiberFX crash.
Hypervoxels Panel "swallows" SAVE hotkey
Fixed softbody dynamics divide by zero with co-incident shapes (e.g. when cloning a softbody)
MathMotion "component" popup shows rich tagged text
Bug in FiberFX clump setting
Visor dates not locale-sensitive
Adding a plugin (python script) - probably c as well adds an additional tab
Genoma Set Rotation problem
Compositing Buffer saves cropped files when using the non cropped Limited Region
Compositing Buffer Export: Multi EXR's Not saving the final image in main channel
can't render scene in farm because of 3DVisionPro
Compositing Buffer doesn't select layers with the same name
Motion mixer ID bug & re-mapping bug...

MODELER
Rest On Ground (Modeler) not working correctly on multi layered object
modeler 'save increment' doesn't have the latest version in the recent files
Modeler Restore selection is now restricted to the original layer.
Modeler mipmapping not working
Modeler Commands not working properly
editing mesh in morph darkens the viewports

RENDERER
Enabling Buffers changes Transparency
Importance Sampling broken
Edge rendering in f9 doesn't use clone random.
Edge draw request.
Texture Environment fails to load in LWSN
Possible Memory leak on rendering
FP Blur Pre blur mask crashes LW.
SpriteGen creation problem

VPR
ClipMap doesn't update when plugged in with VPR running
Foreground Image + Alpha visible in VPR
Mac LW VPR Crashes with Expression Autofocus
Alpha does not work on Copy to Clipboard on WIn build.
VPR doesn't respect 'Receive Shadows' toggle on transparent objects
Adding Image Editor Processing Plugins when Loading Images via Textured Environment Plugin Hangs Layout When VPR is Active
Image Sequences not updating in VPR

INTERCHANGE I/O
GoZ not working in latest version
FBX export: UV Merge on export feature
Collada drops image loading/assignment
FBX import creates object with "weird" clip assignment that cause an error in lw
Latest AEtoLW.aex to LW2015 broken
AE to LW - only one instance being sent to LW
problem importing alembic file
alembic issues
alembic exports the camera fov badly
LightWave to After Effects CC 2015
EPS export not working in modeler
Wrong path evaluation cause EPS import to fail

SURFACE EDITOR/NODE EDITOR
CS Display in Surface Editor Inconsistency
Transparent PNG issue
Pasting gradient layer from basic surfacing to scalar layer node gives incorrect values
PSD will not load and will crash Layout on exit.
reflection blurring (Surf.Editor/Env. tab) doens't show on the preview sphere

SCRIPTING/SDK
Lscript totallayers only returns up to first empty layer
Difference in behavior with list control item in lscript and python
lwstatequeryfuncs numlayers returns incorrect count
Modeler Lscript mesh.select() method is not working anymore
Set_addr in python not working
MiniSlider does not allow to drag into negative range
popup_ctl items crash Modeler when used in align_controls_horizontal
ca.polygon does now draw correctly
Fully documented the (previously missing) Python MeshEditOp class.
Corrected a counting issue in the Wrapper code for all functions that convert Python sequences to C arrays that caused the count of resulting elements to be greater by one.
"bug" in the Python integration, because there isn't an implicit conversion to the required input type from Python types
Custom poly handler bug
Missing LScript functions in Layout
SDK bug: the LWPanelFuncs->draw() function doesn't work fine with the hub enabled

MISCELLANEOUS
Extra folder from being created at startup
Contentdir path in .lws doesn't have a \ after the drive letter

IMPROVEMENTS
Add Quicktime Extensions (.MOV / .MP4) to Default Extension List
Added support for NVidia "Optimus" technology where available.

jeric_synergy
08-10-2015, 12:11 PM
"Hypervoxels Panel "swallows" SAVE hotkey"
That's one of MINE. :D

CaptainMarlowe
08-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks.

Medi8or
08-10-2015, 01:17 PM
I ain't gonna post the super-long version (hopefully) because I can't be bothered to keep it up if matched. I don't begrudge new users the full bundle, I don't disagree with the LWG not being able to afford bundles with the charter membership price, but what we have now is a situation with the post-charter membership where maybe it will be beneficial to keep and pass on the bundle, or maybe it won't and you'll keep your membership and it'll get you nothing more except you'll have missed out on bundles. That's a crappy thing to have to weigh up.

I can't understand the thought process behind denying it to people when they've deigned that they can afford licences with it at $495, it seems petty to make them choose, it's not that ****ing good a deal if you would have wanted to take advantage of the Poser offer and now the LWBrush offer. If it were then no one would elect to missing it even once, keep it so people have to upgrade to keep it as an option, but give them the option of taking the full price upgrade bundle, you don't lose anything in comparison to other customers and it seems like a cheap way to claw back on the charter deal just because you aren't happy it was made in the first place.If I understood you correctly, that pretty much sums up what i think. As a charter-member, I don't expect paying $395 for the bundle, but it would be nice getting the option of paying $495 for it, just like others do.

Cageman
08-10-2015, 03:48 PM
As one of those who bought a CD-Rom for almost 2000 SEK, and 6 months later the same one was only 1500 SEK and a year later, around 500 SEK.

I have no problems, whatsoever, that mine cost a heck of a lot more, because I got things done waaay before others. Back then, I could _charge_ for friends having things burned to a CD.

Being early in an adoption has it's advantages for sure.

Btw... when 3rdPowers first announced their product, there was a timelimited discount for the whole thing... all of you charter members complaining now should have taken that bet when it was hot. If you had taken that offer back then + upgraded LW for $395 (as a charter member), you would have ended up paying less then the $995 currently on offer.

If you snooze, you loose, as they say. So stop feeling sorry for yourselves. Either you invest when the oppertunity is there, or you do not.

Medi8or
08-10-2015, 04:42 PM
As one of those who bought a CD-Rom for almost 2000 SEK, and 6 months later the same one was only 1500 SEK and a year later, around 500 SEK.

I have no problems, whatsoever, that mine cost a heck of a lot more, because I got things done waaay before others. Back then, I could _charge_ for friends having things burned to a CD.

Being early in an adoption has it's advantages for sure.

Btw... when 3rdPowers first announced their product, there was a timelimited discount for the whole thing... all of you charter members complaining now should have taken that bet when it was hot. If you had taken that offer back then + upgraded LW for $395 (as a charter member), you would have ended up paying less then the $995 currently on offer.

If you snooze, you loose, as they say. So stop feeling sorry for yourselves. Either you invest when the oppertunity is there, or you do not.It's not about this particular bundle. It's not about time limited offers, like the $395 upgrade price that ended a week or so ago. Charter members couldn't "take that bet when it was hot", since the they weren't allowed to. Newtek has an offer they won't give some people because they were good enough to be early adopters of a previous version.

HarverdGrad
08-10-2015, 05:37 PM
It's not about this particular bundle. It's not about time limited offers, like the $395 upgrade price that ended a week or so ago. Charter members couldn't "take that bet when it was hot", since the they weren't allowed to. Newtek has an offer they won't give some people because they were good enough to be early adopters of a previous version.

If history serves (and it does when it comes to Newtek Marketing)- 2016 will be announced in ~30-60 days time. The 2016 release will include the 3rd Powers bundle (the plugins have been for sale for quite a while now)- it's probably lost steam, so NewTek is absorbing it.

Wait for 2016 and upgrade once, rather than twice.
Regards~

Cageman
08-10-2015, 05:37 PM
It's not about this particular bundle. It's not about time limited offers, like the $395 upgrade price that ended a week or so ago. Charter members couldn't "take that bet when it was hot", since the they weren't allowed to. Newtek has an offer they won't give some people because they were good enough to be early adopters of a previous version.

3rdPowers had an offering when they went "live". That is what I am talking about and that is the "bet" I am talking about. It was an offer from a third party dev that didn't care about what version of LW you used, as long it was at least LW9.x (can't remember if that was the case... maybe 10.x).

Snosrap
08-10-2015, 08:04 PM
I'm not saying the bundles are negative. I'm saying excluding charter-members from the bundles and better discounts kind of removes the point of the charter/post-charter deal. Upgrade price was just $395, but post-charter members had to pay $495. With this new offer they won't get the bundle. Great "thank you" for taking a chance on Core..

The $395 for the next 5 upgrades is the "thank you."

erikals
08-10-2015, 08:06 PM
this one was nice, must test... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

https://www.lightwave3d.com/static/lw/gfx/banners/siggraph-90-trial-banner.png

- LINK - (https://www.lightwave3d.com/try_lightwave)

Snosrap
08-10-2015, 08:13 PM
If I understood you correctly, that pretty much sums up what i think. As a charter-member, I don't expect paying $395 for the bundle, but it would be nice getting the option of paying $495 for it, just like others do. Yeah that makes some sense. They could put in an "opt out and buy" button at the $495 and that person would lose the charter and post charter $395 and $495 guaranteed price for future upgrades. It would be a gamble to anybody taking an offer like that, as nobody knows the future prices of LW upgrades.

Snosrap
08-10-2015, 08:17 PM
this one was nice, must test... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

https://www.lightwave3d.com/static/lw/gfx/banners/siggraph-90-trial-banner.png

- LINK - (https://www.lightwave3d.com/try_lightwave)

Can you get another trial license if you already did so back when 2015 was first released?

Oedo 808
08-10-2015, 08:25 PM
The $395 for the next 5 upgrades is the "thank you."

And what is the thank you for post charter members, that they get a guarantee to pay the same that everyone else might well pay anyway, but only if they don't take advantage of the bundles with the same price? And if they don't like it they don't have to stick with it but if they do hike the price tough, they gambled and lost. Wow, what great thank you. Am I really alone in thinking that's not such a great idea?

Snosrap
08-10-2015, 08:34 PM
And what is the thank you for post charter members,

$495 for the next 5 upgrades. :)

paulk
08-10-2015, 08:38 PM
If history serves (and it does when it comes to Newtek Marketing)- 2016 will be announced in ~30-60 days time. The 2016 release will include the 3rd Powers bundle (the plugins have been for sale for quite a while now)- it's probably lost steam, so NewTek is absorbing it.

Wait for 2016 and upgrade once, rather than twice.
Regards~

Can someone be proactive and aspirational and start a new b*tch thread "LW 2016 Comes Out A Week After I Upgraded To 2015! WTF!?!?!?!"

I believe LW 11.6.3 was around way more than 60 days before LW 2015. As to what it'll contain and/or bundles,

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future"
--- Yogi Berra

Oedo 808
08-10-2015, 08:42 PM
$495 for the next 5 upgrades. :)

So they get to miss out on the bundles that non-charter members get and pay the same price, what a wonderful thank you. A better thread would be why does this place attract so many sycophants, but I see blind devotion is nothing new for some :)

lightscape
08-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Its not hard to comprehend.
Promo stuff can't be combined.
I bought a queen size bed that's 50% off. The store had a one day sale of 20% off. I didn't really expect 70% off on that bed.
Geez I think some people want lightwave to be given away. :D

Snosrap
08-10-2015, 09:12 PM
It's not blind devotion - I've been very critical of LW. And as of yet I have not upgraded to 2015 and will most likely lose my charter member status.

jeric_synergy
08-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Complaining seems pretty petty, considering they're doing pretty much EXACTLY what everybody's been complaining about for years: quick advancement, special offers, teaming w/3rd party developers.

I mean, C'MONNNNNNNNNNNNN. :twak:

paulk
08-10-2015, 09:41 PM

If you buy a new car during the Presidents' Day sales (February) and there are even more gooder deals at the Year-End Blowout (somewhere post-September), good luck going to the dealership and getting some cash back.

Way back when, my cable company had a package deal for TV, Internet and Phone that was cheaper than what I was paying for just TV and Internet. Now they offer new subscribers the same deal at a lower rate than I got, and they didn't cut me any slack.

Post-Charter upgrade of $495.00 + $624.00 for all the 3rdPowers' plugins = is $1119.00, - $995.00 for the Full License/3rd Powers bundle is $124.00, $224.00 if you're Charter. Charter upgrade of $395.00 + LW Brush by itself at $169.00 is $565, - $495.00 for the Upgrade/LW Brush deal is $69.00. Worth it?

Deciding whether to drop Core membership for a particular deal is a personal decision I fully support in a non-judgemental, empowering way.

If the next bundle is software you already have or don't want, and you've already dropped Core membership, it's like Toyland:

"Once you leave its borders, you can never return again".

Medi8or
08-11-2015, 08:01 AM
Its not hard to comprehend.
Promo stuff can't be combined.
I bought a queen size bed that's 50% off. The store had a one day sale of 20% off. I didn't really expect 70% off on that bed.
Geez I think some people want lightwave to be given away. :D

No, it's seems it is hard to comprehend.

The dealer said you're such a valued customer you'll get 20% off on your bed. When you enter the shop you see a sale, the very same bed is 50% off.
You wouldn't expect to get 70% off, but how "valued" do you feel when the dealer says sorry, you get 20% off, not 50%?

robertoortiz
08-11-2015, 05:00 PM
Complaining seems pretty petty, considering they're doing pretty much EXACTLY what everybody's been complaining about for years: quick advancement, special offers, teaming w/3rd party developers.

I mean, C'MONNNNNNNNNNNNN. :twak:amen ....

Surrealist.
08-12-2015, 02:39 AM
No one is complaining about this. We see that this is a great thing. Heck just the other day we were discussing software bundles and this plugin set came up. And so here we are.

The people that are unhappy have solely to do with charter memberships. And this is between those people and costumer service which is where the complaints should go directly -should anything need to be done about it on a case by case basis. And I am fairly certain that these voices will be heard and dealt with. Many of us have had great experiences with customer service.

LW 3D Group has done a great thing here. Especially for new users who come here looking to take the plunge. It is worthy news.

Best perhaps to leave it at that?

lightscape
08-12-2015, 07:44 AM
No, it's seems it is hard to comprehend.

The dealer said you're such a valued customer you'll get 20% off on your bed. When you enter the shop you see a sale, the very same bed is 50% off.
You wouldn't expect to get 70% off, but how "valued" do you feel when the dealer says sorry, you get 20% off, not 50%?

Huh? In the first place you got it wrong. Its simple anal ogy really.
Here's another one.
You have a privilage/membership card in a gym, etc. You get certain discounts. Now they run a promo for non-members to entice them to join, as a current member you don't get double the discounts.

And yes we have the same kind of business and we don't do double discounts in our business for 30 years.

Oedo 808
08-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Huh? In the first place you got it wrong. Its simple anal ogy really.
Here's another one.
You have a privilage/membership card in a gym, etc. You get certain discounts. Now they run a promo for non-members to entice them to join, as a current member you don't get double the discounts.

And yes we have the same kind of business and we don't do double discounts in our business for 30 years.

No, it would be more like a gym offering a discount rate to local residents before the opening, then reducing it's sign up fee to all, adding some sweeteners and telling a resident who asked if the could have the sweeteners too, that they couldn't unless they ripped up the contract they were offered with the early sign-up bonus. In other words, it wouldn't happen, ever. No business would have a situation that saw people giving up their contracts to secure the same benefits as everyone else and then have those same customers get stung later on, the risk of it being seen as a ploy to lever people off their contracts so they could jack the price up and maximize $$ would be too harmful.

Although I'm not sure that's not exactly what Rob Powers is trying to achieve here because it doesn't make any sense, unless it's just good old fashioned resentment at being saddled with the charter hangover. I don't get why you people are so against the LWG saying "While the post-charter members were only offered a price guarantee, we recognize that as it stands it provides no benefit to these users and does in fact penalize them, so rather than being petty, small-minded and retarded like some of our forum members, we will not end their post-charter status if they would like to take advantage of the current offer."

I wonder if the opposition isn't because if people like you can keep others from obtaining a benefit from something, they feel that they themselves have made a relative gain.

ActionBob
08-12-2015, 09:40 AM
No, it would be more like a gym offering a discount rate to local residents before the opening, then reducing it's sign up fee to all, adding some sweeteners and telling a resident who asked if the could have the sweeteners too, that they couldn't unless they ripped up the contract they were offered with the early sign-up bonus. In other words, it wouldn't happen, ever. No business would have a situation that saw people giving up their contracts to secure the same benefits as everyone else and then have those same customers get stung later on

Not to play Devil's advocate too much, I think you only have to look at broadband service here in the U.S. I pay a lot more for less speed than what new customers do for joining up now. My recourse is to close the account and start a new one if I want the deal. The only reason I haven't is that it hasn't been worth the down time for me to do so. It is something that bothers me; new customers getting faster speed for less than what I am paying, but it is the contract I signed at the time. So, my options are that I can break the contract or wait it out for change.

Does it bother me a little that I can't get in on this deal without breaking my post charter membership? A little... But it is about timing. There will always be buyer's remorse - I have two 980's in my system that I really wish were 980 Tis. Had I waited, I could have picked them up for a little more than what I originally paid, but I wanted those 980's right away. Again, foresight, patience and timing come into play as with everything else.

-Adrian

Oedo 808
08-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Not to play Devil's advocate too much, I think you only have to look at broadband service here in the U.S. I pay a lot more for less speed than what new customers do for joining up now. My recourse is to close the account and start a new one if I want the deal. The only reason I haven't is that it hasn't been worth the down time for me to do so. It is something that bothers me; new customers getting faster speed for less than what I am paying, but it is the contract I signed at the time. So, my options are that I can break the contract or wait it out for change.

Does it bother me a little that I can't get in on this deal without breaking my post charter membership? A little... But it is about timing. There will always be buyer's remorse - I have two 980's in my system that I really wish were 980 Tis. Had I waited, I could have picked them up for a little more than what I originally paid, but I wanted those 980's right away. Again, foresight, patience and timing come into play as with everything else.

-Adrian

I don't think it applies exactly, but thanks for your well put and reasoned response. All I felt was, to paraphrase in a less heated manner, that the LWG could take the attitude "While the post-charter members were only offered a price guarantee, we recognize that as it stands it provides no benefit to these users and does in fact penalize them, we will not end their post-charter status if they would like to take advantage of the current offer."

I think that there seems to be a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul with the current set up as opposed to the other extreme of having some sort of discount and a bundle bonus. But anyway, that's all I wanted to get across and didn't expect it to blow up with people being accused of being cheap and greedy etc..

Cheers.

Ernest
08-12-2015, 10:14 AM
I think that what happened was a simple mistake.

To go with the analogy trend. There was this pizza place that offered, "To all those who come buy on our opening night, we will give 5 tickets with a 20% discount each." People came, they ate, they paid, and they got their 5 tickets.

Next Wednesday, one of those customers goes to eat at that pizza place again and sees that there is a "50% discount on Wednesdays" offer on the door.

Logically, the manager left loud instructions that the two promotions could not be combined to avoid someone going crazy and allowing a 70% off.

I think what Newtek was thinking was that, at the counter, the hungry customer would be told that he could either use one of his tickets or get the Wednesday discount, but that he couldn't get both.

But somewhere in the chain of command, someone was too careful and when the customer came and asked for the 50%-off pizza:

Waiter: Sorry, I can't give you the 50%-off Wednesday discount because you have 20%-off tickets and promotions can't be combined.

Eater: But I don't plan to use the tickets now. I didn't even bring them. I just want to be able to eat with the current offer like everyone else.

Waiter: But you own those tickets, so that is combining offers. You can only get the Wednesday offer if you burn all your tickets.

Eater: Can I burn just one?

Waiter: No, because as long as you possess any tickets, giving you any discount would be like combining offers, so you have to burn them all.

erikals
08-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Waiter: Sorry, I can't give you the 50%-off Wednesday discount because you have 20%-off tickets and promotions can't be combined.
Eater: But I don't plan to use the tickets now. I didn't even bring them. I just want to be able to eat with the current offer like everyone else.
Waiter: But you own those tickets, so that is combining offers. You can only get the Wednesday offer if you burn all your tickets.
Eater: Can I burn just one?
Waiter: No, because as long as you possess any tickets, giving you any discount would be like combining offers, so you have to burn them all.

yep, i wouldn't call that being cheap... some would ?

Oldcode
08-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Hey Everybody,

I'm sorry if this has been covered, but is the Upgrade with LW Brush offer a sale that will end soon, or is it from now on? I just got a promotion at my job with a rather big pay raise, but still, I don't want to go completely crazy. Not sure I want to bother with upgrading to 2015 yes, but LW Brush sure looks cool!

Surrealist.
08-13-2015, 07:34 PM
It is only good for the week of Siggraph.

The LightWave 3D Group and 3rd Powers have teamed up to offer a POWERFUL CREATIVITY Bundle for 3D artists! During SIGGRAPH Week 2015, buy a new full license of LightWave 2015 and receive the FULL SUITE of 3rd Powers Plugins FREE! A value of over $600!

Ready to upgrade from an earlier version of LightWave? Upgrade to LightWave 2015 during SIGGRAPH Week and get the 3rd Powers LW Brush plugin FREE! A $169 value!

This promotion cannot be combined with any other promotion or discount.

Learn more (https://www.lightwave3d.com/new_features/?utm_source=mailer_08102015&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=siggraph_2015) about the powerful features of LightWave 2015 and prepare to deliver impressive results.