PDA

View Full Version : Kamikaze Douga LightWave training

stiff paper
08-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Has anybody purchased, downloaded and watched this training?
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dsproducts/lw3d/training/creators.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dsproducts/lw3d/training/creators.html

Entirely in Japanese, of course. I'm curious as to whether it's worth watching even without being able to understand any of the words.

There's a news item about it some way down the Kamikaze Douga homepage, too, although there's not any more information:
http://www.kamikazedouga.co.jp/contents/index.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.kamikazedouga.co.jp/contents/index.html

jwiede
08-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Sorry, don't have that one. If it really is focused primarily on "tips & tricks", there might not be the kind of workflows where the user can figure it out simply from watching the operations -- IOW, the spoken content provided by the presenter might be critical to understanding the workflows shown. Just a thought. Also might want to check whether the presenter uses the Japanese localization of Lightwave, that would make sense in a tutorial aimed at Japanese-speaking customers.

Julez4001
09-26-2015, 09:28 AM
ARRRRGHHHH!!!!
Why can't there be a english version of this.

How much would it cost to have this translated?

lightscape
09-26-2015, 09:29 AM
ARRRRGHHHH!!!!
Why can't there be a english version of this.

How much would it cost to have this translated?

You can find someone at odesk to translate an hour of anime into english for 20 bucks.

ernpchan
09-26-2015, 10:52 AM
You can find someone at odesk to translate an hour of anime into english for 20 bucks.

That's an interesting option. Maybe we could crowd fund this.

stiff paper
09-26-2015, 02:10 PM
That's an interesting option. Maybe we could crowd fund this.
I don't want to be a downer (maaaaaan...) but unless the person doing the translating is a LW user, or at the very least a 3D app user, there's going to be a lot of terminology, descriptive material, and simple good old words that will leave the unlucky linguist absolutely stumped.

Bones. IK. FK. Morphs. Skelegons. Cel shading. Cel edges. Cel. Compositing. Buffer Saver. Depth pass. There are potentially hundreds of words and phrases that make no sense in a conventional conversational context.

The end result probably still wouldn't make sense and the translator would probably end up in tears. Either that or in an insane murderous rage, sworn to hunt down every last LW user...

ernpchan
09-26-2015, 02:18 PM
True. I don't know how much translation has to be done to convert Japanese sentence and grammar structure to English. I certainly don't wanna hear "all your base are belong to us".

stiff paper
09-26-2015, 02:30 PM
A long time ago I worked on a project for a Japanese company, and their first fax to us (I did say it was a long time ago) started with "XXX XXXXX be Japan's large happy and if you like then work for company!"

I've never forgotten that sentence. I don't think I could if I wanted to.

Their English is still much, much more impressive than my Japanese, though.

lightscape
09-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Its not that technical. I have a translated one of another lw video.
But there's no way I'll distribute it because I don't own the rights of the video.
Crowd funding it would be the same thing because you end up illegally distributing the video that dstorm owns.

stiff paper
09-27-2015, 03:51 AM
There's nothing to stop anybody distributing a subtitle file to go along with a video. Lots of work though.

Luc_Feri
09-27-2015, 07:21 AM
Just watch the video and try to pick up workflow tips and hints. It may be painfully slow to keep rewinding and playing back over and over but hey, no pain no gain. :D

tonyrizo2003
09-30-2015, 12:43 AM
I noticed on the video there was closed captioning. You might be able to strip the CC file and have it translated through google and send it to the company and ask them to include it with the videos that are downloaded for English speaking customers. Another way is a letter writing campaign to the company. If 100 people pledge to purchase it they may spend the necessary money to have it CC in English. In all actuality, they just need to translate it and time it to the video at this point.

Julez4001
03-15-2016, 07:36 AM
Okay I tried to purchase after I translated the main page but I got a checkout totally Japanese and I can't figure anything out to actually get it.
Has anyone purchased anything like this oversees?

DrStrik9
03-15-2016, 04:07 PM
We did a lot of int'l print work years ago. We had everything translated into at least six languages. If the translators knew our client and their products well, everything went pretty well with very few changes, but if not, then it didn't go so well, as all pre-design translations were reviewed by the client's technical and marketing people in each region. We heard a story about a Japanese company who was developing high-end cameras. They named their flagship product the "HL-1000." When asked what the "HL" stood for, the response was "Handy-Lookee."

We also heard about the Swedish Electro-Lux Company, maker of vacuum cleaners. They did their own translation, and placed full-page news ads in London and New York with the title, "Nothing sucks like an Electro-Lux."

:D

Julez4001
12-21-2017, 11:30 PM
I have these now. Well worth the purchase even if its in japanese.

gar26lw
12-21-2017, 11:58 PM
Okay I tried to purchase after I translated the main page but I got a checkout totally Japanese and I can't figure anything out to actually get it.
Has anyone purchased anything like this oversees?

use google translate on your phone, point it at the screen

wingzeta
12-22-2017, 12:30 AM

What is the total run time? How much did they cost US$?

stiff paper
12-22-2017, 03:14 AM
Can you tell us how you went about getting them in the end?

Julez4001
12-22-2017, 04:16 PM
What is the total run time? How much did they cost US$?

$26.00 a piece
I got Lite and Advanced.
Different tun times as they are made up separate files but you get about 55 - 90 minutes a piece of training

- - - Updated - - -

Can you tell us how you went about getting them in the end?

I got in contact finally with Hiro who runs Dstorm.
He is on LWWIKI group on Facebook.

Julez4001
12-22-2017, 04:30 PM
use google translate on your phone, point it at the screen

gar26lw, that actually help. Its kinda hard trying to watch and follow text on screen.
I wonder if I output a .mp3, could I get it transferred to a online - translated - download english version ..and then match it back up as much as I can Premiere Pro.
The translation is not bad and gives closer explanation of his intentions.

will work on this.

gar26lw
12-22-2017, 07:49 PM
$26.00 a piece
I got Lite and Advanced.
Different tun times as they are made up separate files but you get about 55 - 90 minutes a piece of training

- - - Updated - - -

I got in contact finally with Hiro who runs Dstorm.
He is on LWWIKI group on Facebook.

if in contact with Dstorm, could you ask if they are in contact with pictrix and if it’s possible to release pictrix resize in x64?

i’m quite happy to pay.