PDA

View Full Version : Convenience Feature!: Match Size to Background: easy script!

jeric_synergy
08-08-2015, 04:16 PM
This is a pure convenience feature:

Sometimes when you load in an object or (invoke a primitive generator), it is wildly mismatched with the mesh you're going to integrate it into. WILDLY. Like 1000x too big/small.

It would be convenient to get things into the same ballpark.

I suggest a script that would compare the bounding box of the visible Background Layer, and SIZE the Foreground Layer to the same dimensions. This would replace a couple of steps for the user with just one button push.

(...here's where someone tells me it already exists....)

ernpchan
08-08-2015, 10:54 PM
So for example, if you had the model of a battleship in the bg and made a box in the fg, you'd end up with a box the size of the battleship?

Sensei
08-08-2015, 11:15 PM
I have seen similar tool.
Called Bounding Box or something like that.
Don't have LW here to check.

ernpchan
08-08-2015, 11:17 PM
I have seen similar tool.
Called Bounding Box or something like that.
Don't have LW here to check.

Carl Merritt's Great Box?
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/greatbox/

Sensei
08-09-2015, 12:36 AM
It's built-in.

jeric_synergy
08-09-2015, 08:33 AM
So for example, if you had the model of a battleship in the bg and made a box in the fg, you'd end up with a box the size of the battleship?

Not really, more like if you loaded in a chair from one source that was absurdly big, and had a real-world scale desk model, you could get the chair in the ballpark with just one click. Or you could get a bunch of items ALL in the ballpark with just one click-- whether they were too small or too large. (Multiple objects, that's an even better use.)

I realize SIZE can be used over several operations to do this, but sometimes I've had objects so disparate it's ridiculous, and could barely see one when the other(s) was framed in the vuports. That's why I said "Convenience feature" -- although we don't have a tool that will BOTH size up AND down multiple layers.

Provisional name="CONFORM", and think of it as an aid to importing meshes.

RebelHill
08-09-2015, 11:09 AM
You forget you're talking to a computer... you need to come up with an EXACT definition of "ballpark".

ernpchan
08-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Not really, more like if you loaded in a chair from one source that was absurdly big, and had a real-world scale desk model, you could get the chair in the ballpark with just one click.

In a production environment, all the modelers have to agree on a scale for their assets. This way you don't end up with your scenario.

jeric_synergy
08-09-2015, 01:47 PM
You forget you're talking to a computer... you need to come up with an EXACT definition of "ballpark".
In this case, the ballpark is defined as the background layer's bounding box.

I'm surprised, with a huge caveat, that nobody's thrown this in my face (maybe Sensei did but was too subtle):

HOWEVER, the caveat is that it doesn't seem to work very well, specifically in my tests here it failed to maintain a mesh's Aspect Ratio (100% fail), plus after CANCELING out of a use, it erased the Layer selection, that is, it deSelected the selected Background Layer.

So, if it worked, it'd be just what I wanted, but it doesn't really come close to working. For instance, it would seem that an actual "Fit To Background" could only have ONE 'axis of fit' selected whenever "Maintain Aspect Ratio" was on. If there's two, which one would it choose for the remaining axis?

Here's the object I tested this function on: 129203

ernpchan
08-09-2015, 01:51 PM
In this case, the ballpark is defined as the background layer's bounding box.

Right, if you had a battleship in the background, you'd end up with a box the same size based on the scale difference between the bounding box dimensions.

This script isn't hard to make.

jeric_synergy
08-09-2015, 02:05 PM
This script isn't hard to make.
Or FIX, since LW3dG already has, well, the interface.

Mostly I'm thinking it'll be helpful for situations where one is importing a tree that happens to be 100 kilometers tall, into a RW-scaled scene.
++++++++++++++

(Case LWB-1720) LWM: Fit To Background function seems broken

ernpchan
08-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Submit a bug ticket.

jeric_synergy
08-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Submit a bug ticket.
(Case LWB-1720) LWM: Fit To Background function seems broken

lertola2
08-09-2015, 03:50 PM
The Align tool will fit a foreground object in the bounding box of a background object. Or just use the Absolute size command to make your object any size you want.