PDA

View Full Version : Easy UV task isn't so easy

ConjureBunny
08-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to UV map something simple and it's not behaving like I expect it to. Top left side is my goal. I want the UV to map using the aspect ratio of the area the polygons fill, so my texture can be 1:1 and so I can resize the UV map uniformly.

But if I use Atlas mapping, I get the middle image.

And if I weld everything and then use Atlas mapping, I get the last image.

Lastly, if I unweld all the points and I use the planar UV mapping, I get something that looked almost right, until I overlayed the geometry on it...

And if I weld the points and try again, it's still using the wrong aspect ratio, and, well...

Is there a way to fix this so planar UV mapping uses the aspect ratio of the UV'd parts?

-Chilton

ernpchan
08-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Have you tried using plg uv? http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

ConjureBunny
08-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Ugh. Was hoping I just missed something.

I'm using a Mac for this one, and a lot of those plugins haven't been updated since 2006.

So I guess my options are, if I'm going to be doing this often (and if I want it to be accurate)...
* Switch to using Windows for modeling
* Switch to another app for modeling
* Write a plugin so I can keep using my Mac and LightWave

-Chilton

Sensei
08-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Is there a way to fix this so planar UV mapping uses the aspect ratio of the UV'd parts?

This is mathemically possible exclusively if you will have completely flat geometry. Basically one axis = 0.0 across entire mesh.

Reco
08-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Have you tried abf uv unwrap?

Reco

JoePoe
08-08-2015, 01:14 PM
+1 for ABF

Seems to do pretty good :thumbsup:..... 129191

------------

But.... Atlas also did a halfway decent job. I suspect there may be something a little wonky in your geometry (two point polys maybe??)

atlas... 129192 (unwelded the front and back two-panel sections first)

ConjureBunny
08-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Yeah mine has a thin seam around the window edges. That's what's throwing it off, it seems.

JoePoe
08-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Should still be doable.... wanna post the object?

Also, to answer your question....

-Chilton

Yes there is. Draw a flat square around your geometry (trash it after the UVing). When you run planar map, the square poly fills the square UV space and the model geometry retains its proportions.

You can also switch to manual settings. Copy the highest value in the Size fields into the other two. Voila!

JoePoe
08-08-2015, 01:49 PM
....Yes there is. Draw a flat square around your geometry (trash it after the UVing). When you run planar map, the square poly fills the square UV space and the model geometry retains its proportions.

You can also switch to manual settings. Copy the highest value in the Size fields into the other two. Voila!

A la Proton.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSK2A5Z-0w

ConjureBunny
08-10-2015, 08:41 AM
A la Proton.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUSK2A5Z-0w

There it is! Works perfect!

It's slightly more effort than it should take, but it works.

-Chilton