PDA

View Full Version : Best way to make Cube maps / Skyboxes?

ConjureBunny
08-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Hi,

What's the best way to natively build a cubemap for a skybox in LightWave?

(I mean without plugins)

Thank you,
-Chilton

spherical
08-07-2015, 03:20 PM
You mean Cube Projection VRs and similar? If so, I set a camera where I want the node to be, set 90 FOV, set six frames - each keyframed to rotate the camera to render a side of the box, F10 with Image Sequence.

MarcusM
08-07-2015, 04:17 PM
My thread from 2011 :p
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?124791-Create-render-skybox-texture-in-LW&highlight=skybox

ConjureBunny
08-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Hi,

Marcus that is perfect. I will use that.
Spherical, that looks like exactly how Marcus's scene is set up.

I can use this.

Thanks!
-Chilton

spherical
08-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Yes, except if you want to render a VR; in which case the camera location would not be at Origin, but at eye level (or arbitrary elevation) and where you want to be to look around. Been doing them this way since 2003 or so.

Ma3rk
08-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Ya might want to check out UberCam. I does Skyboxes among other things.

http://www.liberty3d.com/tag/ubercam/

They just announced a new update and are having a special as well.

spherical
08-08-2015, 12:17 AM
Ummmm... Chilton writes UberCam.

ConjureBunny
08-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Yeah I can see why that would be confusing--why would I care how to build a skybox if I can already build a skybox? :D

The truth is, I think UberCam Skybox is slightly off, and I'd like to make it better, so I wanted to see another approach.

I personally don't use Skyboxes anymore, as the lat-long cylinder mapping in Unity + UberCam Immersive is a really simple and bulletproof solution.

But knowing UberCam's skybox isn't perfect really irks me. So I'll have that fixed shortly.

-Chilton

spherical
08-08-2015, 01:17 AM
That's what I figured was going on. And, Don't call me "Shortly". :D

OnlineRender
08-08-2015, 03:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSLS-7VgYXI

fix

Sensei
08-08-2015, 04:33 AM
Why do you want to use this silly cube mapping? It's not utilizing memory & space efficiently..
It will create regions of varying details.

ConjureBunny
08-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Why do you want to use this silly cube mapping? It's not utilizing memory & space efficiently..
It will create regions of varying details.

I am climbing this mountain because it's there.

Admittedly, this is not always the best idea.

-Chilton

spherical
08-08-2015, 05:21 PM
I know you're going to give me some mathematical proof that I won't immediately grok :D but where would there be "regions of varying details" when seen from the 0,0,0 of the cube? Yes, the corners are farther away but no one cares. Even knowing where the corners are, I cannot locate them in a cube projection. I was dubious, at first, when considering cube mapping over spherical mapping but, after trying the former and not seeing any artifacts, adopted that mode. Spherical mapping has a far more serious "regions of varying details" with expansion at the equator and compression at the poles or no expansion at the equator and all of everything else progressively compressed the farther away from it. That's a lot of lost data. Gotta compromise somewhere when morphing 3D to 2D and then back again.