PDA

View Full Version : Modeling task: joining a hemisphere to a lathed base --NOOB LEVEL

jeric_synergy
08-07-2015, 02:04 PM
How would you most easily join a hemisphere to a lathed base with the same number of edges, but let's assume for the purpose of this exercise that Merge Points isn't available.

Thanks.

Lewis
08-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Bridge tool ?

pinkmouse
08-08-2015, 05:22 AM
I wouldn't. I'd stick the lathe shape/ backdrop image in a background layer, then loop select the edge of the hemisphere and use the Extender+ with Move and Scale to match the shape. Using the shortcut keys it's really quick.

prometheus
08-08-2015, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't. I'd stick the lathe shape/ backdrop image in a background layer, then loop select the edge of the hemisphere and use the Extender+ with Move and Scale to match the shape. Using the shortcut keys it's really quick.

Why use two layers and messing with moving or copy to that? I would just select one edge on the hemisphere and one on the lathe base at the same time in one go, then arrow keys to loop select both in one go, then bridge it..as lewis mentioned.

now..I donīt have the clear picture of the exact merging, using the bridge tool as mentioned would of course create new polys in between and it could be that jeric ment he want exact merging without additional geometry?

jeric_synergy
08-08-2015, 09:55 AM
now..I donīt have the clear picture of the exact merging, using the bridge tool as mentioned would of course create new polys in between and it could be that jeric ment he want exact merging without additional geometry?
Prom, either would be interesting, although as it turns out, Lewis was right and Bridge did it, no muss no fuss. (I don't know why I thought it wouldn't. --Edge Mode, 2 loop selects, Bridge. Easy-peasy.)

For a situation where no additional geometry was desired, either something would have to move (Connected), or something would have to stretch, and the UI would need to allow the user to designate which side was doing the stretching/moving. --I feel like I'm forgetting some really basic tool here....

Thansk, colleagues. FWIW, here's the part in question:

prometheus
08-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Prom, either would be interesting, although as it turns out, Lewis was right and Bridge did it, no muss no fuss. (I don't know why I thought it wouldn't. --Edge Mode, 2 loop selects, Bridge. Easy-peasy.)

Thansk, colleagues. FWIW, here's the part in question:

a tip for fastest workflow..that is to do it as I mentioned above, so you dont go and select the first edge and then select loop, and then the other part edges, and then select loop and then bridge, itīs enough and fastest to use one left mouse click and also drag the mouse at the same time to select the count part edge in on go without the need to hold shift down for multi selection....
and then hit the arrow keys to run the loop select on both edges at once, then bridge...I would also suggest map the bridge tool to a shortcut or ctrl-shift right mouse button click and use the menu, that is if you edit your menu settings and drag the bridge tool to that menu.

jeric_synergy
08-08-2015, 10:22 AM
My Bridge is "^b". Good point about the Loop ("l"- I don't like the default). Click saving!

JoePoe
08-08-2015, 10:39 AM
....For a situation where no additional geometry was desired, either something would have to move (Connected), or something would have to stretch, and the UI would need to allow the user to designate which side was doing the stretching/moving. --I feel like I'm forgetting some really basic tool here....

Not so basic.... rather: a pretty obscure, rarely mentioned,..... but very cool plug.
LF_Batch Weld (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/batch-weld/)

jeric_synergy
08-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Not so basic.... rather: a pretty obscure, rarely mentioned,..... but very cool plug.
LF_Batch Weld (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/batch-weld/)
Heading out #aflw, but: how 'smart' is LF_Batch Weld? For me, the worst part of modeling is picking points in specific orders.*

I don't mind if it HAS to be done (well, I do, buwuhduhyagunnadoo?), but often creation order is ideal, and it's already implicit in many elements.

*I've requested that the "PICK area" of the points cursor be made size adjustable for old farts like me: no word yet.

JoePoe
08-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Pretty darn smart. Just select one side then the other. Same as bridge.... select loop is usually all you need.
But, of course, creation order does rear its ugly head from time to time.

prometheus
08-08-2015, 11:44 AM
for jeric....if we disregard the purpose of the modeling task and excluding merge points, since I am curious..why do we exclude the merge points options?

jeric_synergy
08-08-2015, 02:58 PM
for jeric....if we disregard the purpose of the modeling task and excluding merge points, since I am curious..why do we exclude the merge points options?
:stumped: I don't remember now. It might have been expressly to NOT weld... or summthin'...... gotta quit boiling mercury by my workstation......

Both Bridge (of course) and LF_Batchweld would work. :thumbsup: Also, an oldie but a goody: if there are "cap polys" you can use "Skin"! --But Bridge is a more general solution, so it wins.