PDA

View Full Version : Dongle vs software - license

Cyberfish_Fred
08-07-2015, 04:29 AM
Hi,

I am using a dongle for my Lightwave at work, I have 1 license.

I need an extra for my laptop so I can work also at home.

Am I right that when using the software instead of the hardware dongle, I can work also (with 1 license) at home? Maybe I have to deactivate my work desktop beforehand?

Please advice!

Thanks!

Freddy

lardbros
08-07-2015, 05:25 AM
I'm pretty sure, so long as you don't use them at the same time (loaded at work & at home), you're fine to use the software licensing as you stated!

Cyberfish_Fred
08-07-2015, 06:51 AM
I'm pretty sure, so long as you don't use them at the same time (loaded at work & at home), you're fine to use the software licensing as you stated!

Thanks! Will check it next week.

Do I have to install the complete Lightwave 2015.2 again to change the dongle to software or is there a shortcut?

Freddy

ernpchan
08-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Just do a new install onto your laptop. You could copy your work configs to your laptop so your setup is the same.

raymondtrace
08-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Is the dongle not portable? I keep mine on my keychain (so I can lose access to my house/car/lightwave all at once).

lardbros
08-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Nah... You don't have to do a new install. Just unplug the dongle.
Then copy your license .lwk file (from your login area) into your licenses folder which is in your 'My Documents' folder, under Newtek (you may need to have 'show hidden folders turned on in Window to see it).

spherical
08-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Do I have to install the complete Lightwave 2015.2 again to change the dongle to software or is there a shortcut?

No. They can co-exist; in fact they have to. Many of us have commercial plugins that require the dongle to activate their licenses.

The LightWave applications look for a LICENSE.KEY file and, if not found, look for a LICENSE.LWK file. The LICENSE.KEY file will only contain 4-quad serials and needs the dongle to be found. The LICENSE.LWK can contain all of the 4-quad serial numbers found in the LICENSE.KEY file; along with the 4 line 64 column block of code that is the new dongle-less license system. This file doesn't care whether the dongle is present or not.

When you open your LICENSE.LWK file you should find:

Your name
Your email
A 15 digit registration number
Your dongle ID
The 4 line 64 column block
Two 4-quad serials; one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit versions of LightWave.

You don't have to unplug the dongle and go through the startup drag-and-drop thing. Just put the LICENSE.LWK file into:
C:\Users\[username]\.NewTek\LightWave\2015.2\licenses

We have two seats. Our files have 12 serials, as we have 32-bit and 64-bit installs of 6 major versions of LightWave all running on a LICENSE.LWK for each seat to keep things consistent. If we need the dongle to run either an older version of LightWave or a commercial plugin on a machine that doesn't have its own, we temporarily move it from a machine that is not using it.

lardbros
08-07-2015, 04:46 PM
I stand corrected... Thought you had to unplug the dongle!
Don't listen to me! :)

spherical
08-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Hehhehheh. No worries. It does hold true, if you want the Reg dialogue to show, upon which you drop the LICENSE.LWK file. That method has proven problematical enough for a number of users that we just don't bother with it and go the direct route.

Cyberfish_Fred
08-10-2015, 03:11 AM
Okay, I have installed my 2nd Lightwave 2015.2 on my laptop. The license I have is one for my other Lightwave (with dongle, LOCK ID ........). So I can't use this one on my laptop.
What is my next step?

Thanks!

Freddy

spherical
08-10-2015, 03:24 AM
Why not? I presume you installed the Sentinel drivers that the dongle needs? Also, have a copy of the license.key file or the license.lwk file in the /licenses directory, so the dongle can authenticate with it? The license is tied to the dongle. Move it to the laptop or use the new licensing system that polls the network for another running copy of LightWave. If it finds none, it launches.

Cyberfish_Fred
08-10-2015, 04:10 AM
Why not? I presume you installed the Sentinel drivers that the dongle needs? Also, have a copy of the license.key file or the license.lwk file in the /licenses directory, so the dongle can authenticate with it? The license is tied to the dongle. Move it to the laptop or use the new licensing system that polls the network for another running copy of LightWave. If it finds none, it launches.

But I thought I could run a desktop version with the dongle and (when not using that one) a software vesrion without the dongle on my laptop.

spherical
08-10-2015, 03:37 PM
OK, gotta be more informative, here, or we'll just be going around in circles for days. This is a potentially complex issue, so:

What OS?
Are the license files of both types in their correct locations on both machines?
Does the first install run without the dongle?
Does the second install launch, but run in Discovery mode or is it not launching at all?
Does the second install run if you move the dongle to that machine?
Are you on a network?
Is (if Windows) the Windows Firewall Service running?

That'll give us a start....

Cyberfish_Fred
08-11-2015, 03:32 AM
OK, gotta be more informative, here, or we'll just be going around in circles for days. This is a potentially complex issue, so:

What OS?
Windows 10
Are the license files of both types in their correct locations on both machines?
yes in the users/blabla/.Newtek/Lightwave/2015.2
Yes! I did not expect it to run without dongle ;-)
Does the second install launch, but run in Discovery mode or is it not launching at all?
Second install (laptop) runs in discovery mode.
No
Are you on a network?
Yes
Yes

That'll give us a start....

What OS?
Are you on a network?

spherical
08-11-2015, 04:10 AM
OK. You had me going for a bit, there. You answered within the quote; not as a followup to it and only the original questions were in the followup, so it looked at first like there were no answers -- only a duplication.

Windows 10 has issues, not surprisingly. A bit early to be messing with it, IMO. In another thread a user got his install going by contacting NewTek Customer Service. He neglected to share exactly what the solution was, only saying "some ninja C prompt skills", so those of us on the front lines are left in the dark.

In that thread, the user had installed to a different location than the usual. Apparently, LW3DG hasn't gotten the memo that it is BETTER to NOT install into the default location of C:\Program Files, but to put the install elsewhere. That they don't recognize this and have to do some oddball stuff to get it to run means that there needs to be a clue given.

That said, if both installs are essentially the same, the dongle should allow it to run; no matter what machine it's on. The software license may be a problem but the hardware lock, if the Sentinel drivers are properly installed, should work.

Cyberfish_Fred
08-11-2015, 06:33 AM
It works! Reinstalled the sentinel driver on 2nd computer.

Thanks!!

Freddy

spherical
08-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Happy to help. :)