PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Thickening: Object resists Thickening at specific spot: LWO attached

jeric_synergy
08-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Could someone please DL and play w/this object and tell me WHY oh why if:

I mirror this thing so the hexes meet in the middle, and then
apply THICKEN,

the hexes along the mirror line resist getting internal thickness polys, although all the others do fine?

In the ones I'm doing there's no 2pt polys or 1pt polys. It's very puzzling.

JoePoe
08-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Usual suspects.... unify polys got rid of 27. After that all is well.
On the flat object a small ranged merge got rid of a bunch of points. :beerchug:

jeric_synergy
08-06-2015, 09:36 PM
::shakes fist:: UN-UNIFIED POLYS!!!!!!

Thanks Joe: knew it would be something dumb. ::sigh::

spherical
08-06-2015, 10:01 PM
One of the things I learned early on is that Merge Points > Automatic is very strict. If the object is simple and I'm fairly certain that I know what the number will be and it matches, I'll move on. If I'm unsure, I'll do a second Merge with a 1mil-3mil Fixed and see if any others are found. Happens more often than you'd think that it does merge more.

jeric_synergy
08-06-2015, 10:55 PM
I hear that: I'm very suspicious of Merge Points. However, I just forget to perform Unify Polys, 'cuz I'm a dope.

spherical
08-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Generally, I have found that if a tool doesn't work... the model is Borked. See if you can figure out what created the duplicate polys. There must have been an operation performed (possibly not taken to full completion) that generated them; perhaps when the sheet was divided in half?

Why are you "suspicious" of Merge Points?