PDA

View Full Version : Calculating a precise bend? (LWO attached) Math puzzle.

jeric_synergy
08-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Suppose you have an object like this:

And you wanted to Bend it in such a way as to have it repeat neatly, so that it would have some Points that could be Merged. (Such that the highlighted Points in the jpg would meet.)

If the top and bottom edges were FLAT/STRAIGHT, it's trivial: the Bend=360. But, of course, they are not flat/straight.

It seems to be that there must be some sort of calculation that can be made that would give the user a perfect bend. And it must be related to the distance difference between the flat edge and the part that sticks out above it (or, conversely on the other end, the part that is inside the envelope of the outer edges).

Thru trial and error, I found that a Bend of 366.5 degrees is pretty close, but I'd like to find a generic solution to these kinds of tasks.

Thanks! Attached is the object to play with. 129169

jeric_synergy
08-06-2015, 07:52 PM
OK, that wasn't so bad. See the jpg.
the formula is : 360X( (Ax-Cx)/(Bx-Cx)), where the x's denote the x-coordinate, not a variable.

Basically it's the percentage longer the overlap is, times 360. I knew it had to be more than 360, QUIT LAUGHING, because that's what you'd get with straight edges, so that made it easier.

Go forth, and subdivide.

JonW
08-11-2015, 03:27 AM
The problem with this example is the answer is 366.6666666666.....

But one can type in: 366+(2/3)