PDA

View Full Version : Need Help AGAIN!

Tony3d
08-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Hi all, I may have asked this before I don't know. I have to make a spiral line along a rail extruded tube that follows a path. The line need to be 3d, can't be a texture! I really can't believe Newtek has never implemented twisting an object along a path in rail extrude! Is there any way to achieve this, or it there a plugin (that runs on a Mac), that I can do this with? Don't want to loose this job. Thanks.

spherical
08-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Use Rail Extrude: Multiple. When there are more than one curve, Multiple comes into play. With it, you can also change not only the orientation but the scale of the generated tube.

Tony3d
08-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Use Dual Rail Extrude. With it, you can also change not only the orientation but the scale of the generated tube.

Is this a 3rd party plugin? Does it run on Mac?

Tony3d
08-06-2015, 06:20 PM
I don't see how this helps. I need to spiral the line object around the tube along a path that's not going to be straight! Think of a candy cane.

JoePoe
08-06-2015, 07:06 PM
let me ask you this....
Is it a uniform twist along the length of the bending object? Something like this?

.... or variable?
What is (how complex is) the bending object? Can you show it?

spherical
08-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Is this a 3rd party plugin? Does it run on Mac?

No. Yes.

I don't see how this helps. I need to spiral the line object around the tube along a path that's not going to be straight! Think of a candy cane.

Well, to be fair, more/clearer information in the originating post question would help in obtaining pertinent, on-target answers.

Looks like JoePoe is on it. Another way would be to Rail Extrude, Heat Shrink onto a straight parent object, then bend the combination into the final shape.

Tony3d
08-06-2015, 07:38 PM
let me ask you this....
Is it a uniform twist along the length of the bending object? Something like this?

.... or variable?

What is (how complex is) the bending object? Can you show it?

Your object would be a reasonable example of what I need. It would be a uniform twist over a object that curves in several directions, similar to what you have there. So how did you do it?

jeric_synergy
08-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Maybe PATH EXTRUDE.

Did I guess right???? :D

Tony3d
08-06-2015, 07:59 PM
All Newtek needs to do is give rail extrude twist options! It's badly needed!

JoePoe
08-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Uniform twist.... easy.
You're going to have to re-bend your object including the "extra" part from the start with.....

..... Px_Bezier (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/px_bezier/)!

Edit: I started with this... 129175

Tony3d
08-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Uniform twist.... easy.
You're going to have to re-bend your object including the "extra" part from the start with.....

..... Px_Bezier (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/px_bezier/)!

Edit: I started with this... 129175

I downloaded this today, but don't understand how to use it. are there any tutorials?

JoePoe
08-06-2015, 08:17 PM
There are six videos on the linked download page.

Tony3d
08-06-2015, 08:20 PM
There are six videos on the linked download page.

ok thanks Joe. I'll have a look tomorrow. Can you tell me how you did it?

Tony3d
08-06-2015, 08:28 PM
I just watched the twisting video. Very powerful plugin. I thin this will work. Thanks.

JoePoe
08-06-2015, 08:29 PM
watch the last vid on that page.... http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Px_Bezier/px_bezier-10.mov

.... oops, 1 minute too late :)

Edit: Oh.... and....
I just watched the twisting video. Very powerful plugin.....

You better believe it!!!!! :thumbsup:

Tony3d
08-06-2015, 08:31 PM
watch the last vid on that page.... http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Px_Bezier/px_bezier-10.mov

.... oops, 1 minute too late :)

LOL! I'll play with this tomorrow. Thanks again Joe!

jeric_synergy
08-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Maybe PATH EXTRUDE.

Here's a motion path extrusion-- note how the spiral starts in one direction, then goes in another. Complete control!

BUT, I do NOT envy anyone setting this up. huge PITA.

Tony3d
08-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Maybe PATH EXTRUDE.

Here's a motion path extrusion-- note how the spiral starts in one direction, then goes in another. Complete control!

BUT, I do NOT envy anyone setting this up. huge PITA.

Care to explain how this works? Very interesting

jeric_synergy
08-06-2015, 09:39 PM
You set up a motion in LAYOUT.
Save the MOTION.
Make an extrusion shape in LWM.
Apply MOTION PATH EXTRUDE.
Load the Motion Path file.
There's some settings to play with.
Hit the button and WALLAUGH!

The only problem is: it's the opposite of interactive, what with the jumping back and forth. BUT, if the path is well-defined, like for a cord, it's not too bad.

EDIT: it occurs to me that you might use MOTION PATH EXTRUDE on 2 1pt polys to extrude two splines, which might be easier to edit, and use the resulting splines to do a MULTIPLE RAIL EXTRUDE. That would improve the interactivity of the operation.

Multiple Rail Extrude is a very neglected tool, IMO.

Tony3d
08-06-2015, 10:11 PM
You set up a motion in LAYOUT.
Save the MOTION.
Make an extrusion shape in LWM.
Apply MOTION PATH EXTRUDE.
Load the Motion Path file.
There's some settings to play with.
Hit the button and WALLAUGH!

The only problem is: it's the opposite of interactive, what with the jumping back and forth. BUT, if the path is well-defined, like for a cord, it's not too bad.

EDIT: it occurs to me that you might use MOTION PATH EXTRUDE on 2 1pt polys to extrude two splines, which might be easier to edit, and use the resulting splines to do a MULTIPLE RAIL EXTRUDE. That would improve the interactivity of the operation.

Multiple Rail Extrude is a very neglected tool, IMO.

Very interesting way to do this as well. Thanks for the explanation.

jeric_synergy
08-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Sadly, my idea doesn't work (although it should):SEE CORRECTION BELOW.

You can do each rail separate, but ::aggravation::. However, doing them separately makes point order difficulties disappear at the cost of some labor.

Maybe I'll make a feature request. Since there's a new emphasis on splines, who knows.

jeric_synergy
08-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Sample: 129181
^^^ just for fun.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

CORRECTION: MOTION PATH EXTRUDE will Extrude a series of 2pt polys from 1pt polys, but they must be selected as polys. If they are not selected, they are essentially PATH CLONED as points. From these chains you can create Curves, although I don't know of an exceedingly easy way, yet.

JoePoe
08-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Interesting Jeric.

Just wanted to add more on px_Bez.
You CAN vary the wrap quite a bit away from uniform!!

Use PX for the initial object, SAVE THE PATH, use the path again for a second tube and play with offset and twist settings to get the initial wrapping.
Click "Custom Segments" in the knots tab and scrub the number higher or lower for a denser/sparser individual section.
.... still can't reverse direction though ;).

jeric_synergy
08-07-2015, 05:38 PM
I put in a feature request for automagic creation of Splines/Curves from Motion Path Extrude-- really, should be a doddle, 90% of the code is already in there. If you could Export World Coordinate motion paths from Layout, you could make some really twisty paths quite easily using Parenting and whatnot. And by twisty I mean "complex yet precise". Then use MULTIPLE RAIL EXTRUDE and go to town, editing them in LWM.

Tony3d is right though: a "Spin" or "Twist" parameter would be nice, but, like you guys are discovering, how do you control it without keyframes in Modeler? --Points for Team Unification.

Tony3d
08-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Interesting Jeric.

Just wanted to add more on px_Bez.
You CAN vary the wrap quite a bit away from uniform!!

Use PX for the initial object, SAVE THE PATH, use the path again for a second tube and play with offset and twist settings to get the initial wrapping.
Click "Custom Segments" in the knots tab and scrub the number higher or lower for a denser/sparser individual section.
.... still can't reverse direction though ;).

Thanks Joe. didn't have time to try it today, but iI will tomorrow.