PDA

View Full Version : holes leaving wierd polys

a_chisholm
12-05-2003, 09:35 AM
i often make holes in objects using the subtract boolean and end up with "uneven?" polygon that are supposed to be flat.

Iv'e included an example below.

I can normally solve this by triple-ing the poly but why do i have to do this and is there a better way to solve this problem?

thanks in advance

Alistair,

P.S whoo it's Friday!:D

Dodgy
12-05-2003, 09:50 AM
Looks like it's the smoothing. Does it render like that? Very often LW will render a poly like that correctly even if it's not shaded correctly in the opengl view.

knuckles644
12-05-2003, 06:05 PM
If you have subpatch turned on it will be like that, because a boolean will turn the poly it intersects into more than 4 point polys so they can't be subpatched. Freeze your mesh and then boolean. If my eyes are decieving me and it's not subpatched it might be an OpenGL problem.

SplineGod
12-06-2003, 03:35 AM
He Alistair,
I have a free video tutorial on my site that shows how to fix smoothing errors when using booleans.
The link is in my Sig. :)

a_chisholm
12-08-2003, 04:20 AM
it is smoothing and yes it does render like that. no subpatch used here.

Larry, i just viewed your tutorial and found it very enlightening. I can see what was happening and i should be able to fix it, thanks

SplineGod
12-08-2003, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by a_chisholm
it is smoothing and yes it does render like that. no subpatch used here.

Larry, i just viewed your tutorial and found it very enlightening. I can see what was happening and i should be able to fix it, thanks
Great! Glad it helped. That tutorial BTW was something I posted in response to some problems one of my Intro Course students was having. It was much easier to post that up then type of a long drawn out explanation. I figured it would be a nice thing to add into my free tutorials section. :)

a_chisholm
12-08-2003, 09:01 AM
yep i agree. it's a nice way to learn, better than reading a 1000 page textbook thats for sure:)

Jockomo
12-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Booleans can often do a sloppy job. It is not uncommon to have to get in there and clean up after them.