PDA

View Full Version : Priviliges problem

norlight
03-06-2003, 09:59 AM
Hi there experts.

Ive been running LW on OSX for about a year now, without any really problems.

However, Ive been forced ever since installation to render from the app logged in as a Master only.

Im able to run both LW and Mod logged in as a regular user, but when trying to render I always get problems.

They all seem to be privileges related.

Ive run through the file-info/priviliges box and they are all correct to reflect the correct owner!

Does anybody else out there have this problem?

Or is there a bug the LW OSX-version?

Norlight

eblu
03-06-2003, 10:19 AM
hmmmm.... which OSX version are you running?

what exactly occurs? what happens that makes you think its privileges?

mlinde
03-06-2003, 03:41 PM
Ok. When you say "logged in as a Master only" do you mean logged in with Administrator privileges, or as an administrator? I don't know what "Master" means. In my (limited) Unix understanding, there are basically 3 account "types" -- superuser or root, administrator, and user. I don't know what Master means. However, it might help to know what "always get problems" means for your rendering issue.
Can you be more descriptive of the problem?
Does the machine render correctly when logged in as an administrator?
What type of rendering? network or local?
Where are you rendering to?

People here would love to help, but we need more information to do anything...

norlight
03-07-2003, 04:45 AM
Hi there.

Im sorry but after I posted the thread i had to go away on some urgent issue. (Now Im also on just a quick drop-in.)

First of all, Im running LW 7.5 under OSX10.2.3.

What usually happens is:

- When logged in as the admin (what I called errouneusly called master) everything seems fine, at least up to now. Im not a UNIX-guy so all I know about admin is that Im logged in as that.
- When I change the priviliges of the entire LW file (and its sub-catalogs) to reflect the desired user account, and then log in under that user-name, I can open LW+Mod with everything seemingly running fine
- When its time to specify the file where I want to save the render OSX will not accept anything under the main LW-folder! It saves fine to other folders though, if those folders are outside the main LW-folder! (To clerify: When I say main LW-folder I mean the LW-folder that was created when LW was installed, with programs/content/tutorials etc are all stored in by default). When I say it will not accept I mean that the blue save-button is dimmed.

Thanks for taking my problems seriously! If I get this issue solved, it will certainly significantly improve my workflow!

norlight

Beamtracer
03-07-2003, 05:58 AM
*Boot up on the OS X install CD

*On the file menu, select Disk Utility

*Select your boot up drive

*Select Disk First Aid

*Select "Repair Permissions"

Permission problems often arise in OS X. It happened to me after installing LW 7.5B. The repair utility should set it right again.

mlinde
03-07-2003, 06:45 AM
norlight, the issue sounds like something that makes perfect sense with OS X and UNIX.

From what I understand, the Applications directory can only be modified by an administrative account. You can change the permissions of subdirectories all you want, but when you repair permissions it will undo all of that. One of the advantages to user privileges is that only an administrator can install/edit/delete applications. So, you can't render to the LW directory as a user who doesn't have admin privileges. However, you can create a content directory in your user "Home" folder, and should be able to render to that, or (while logged in as an admin) create a content directory OUTSIDE the applications folder, on the HD, and make sure everyone has r/w access to that directory, and make that your working content directory (that might work), so anyone can access those files.

norlight
03-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Hi!

I went through the update priviliges procedure about a month when trying to install an audio-app. This procedure fixed that problem.

Since this is such a short time ago and that Ive had this specific problem ever since installation and also the fact that I manually changed the priviliges in the LW-folder I assumed that this wouldnt help me on this one.

But Ill look further into both of these last two tips and Ill get with more humble questions if I may if it still isnt working correct.

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Regards
Norlight