PDA

View Full Version : Error on starting LW 2015.2 Layout

Wolfgang Mildne
07-31-2015, 08:33 AM
After searching this forum I hope not to repeat an already closed issue.

Today I installed LightWave 2015.2. Everything worked fine until I closed LW and tried to restart it later. Here's my report ...

1) If I start LW Layout after reboot of my PC, everything seems to be okay, but
2) after closing the app, Layout shows each time an error message, telling me that it "can't open layout window"
3) ... funny/strange ... if I start Modeler instead and switch over to Layout ... I get into Layout ... ???

There must be something wrong with setups or drivers or Layout. My system is:

- PC with i7 processor
- WIN 7 pro, 64, SP1
- NVidia GTS250 graphics card with up to date driver
- DirectX runtime version 11

I hope somebody of you might have an idea, how to cope with this issue. Many thanks in advance,
Wolfgang

Added: Just for fun ... tried to start Layout through Hub ... and this got me there ... now I am really lost, what is going wrong ???

spherical
07-31-2015, 05:13 PM
When this happens check the Task Manager to see if any part of LightWave is still running after you've closed it. May not be it, but it will get us some information.

JamesCurtis
07-31-2015, 11:31 PM
Have you tried to redo your LW configs [ delete them and have LW rebuild them on next launch]. Maybe a fouled Hub config. Just a guess.

Wolfgang Mildne
08-02-2015, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the replies ...

@spherical
I checked with the task manager. The app seems to be closed and processes does not list something I recognise as part of LW. If I try to launch Layout, a process layout.exe is listed and disappears after closing the error message. According to the listing, the HUB seems not to be launched. The error window also has a cryptic headline ... it reads (k:"$100" c:commsg)

@JamesCurtis

tried this ... and ... maybe it's the right direction to look to. I found a couple of config files, deleted them, and it worked for one launch. Maybe that there is more than this location?

Edit:

Now I found all the LW 2015.2 config files, deleted them, rebooted the system. But the problem remains. One launch ... after closing the app the same error message again.

Why does Layout launch via the Hub launch feature and not via the LW icon? It's a mysterium?

Sensei
08-02-2015, 03:26 AM
What if you run LW through command-line with -0 option to disable hub entirely.. ?

- DirectX runtime version 11

LW uses OpenGL, not DirectX.

Try installing 32 bit version, to check it.

2) after closing the app, Layout shows each time an error message, telling me that it "can't open layout window"

There could be used multi-threading features of OS, and they remain in system after quitting/crashing.
New instance is searching for them, finding them, and can't open them, and refuse starting.

spherical
08-02-2015, 03:27 AM
This sounds like a software Firewall/AntiVirus rules issue. That the Hub can launch it, but a direct launch isn't possible, seems to me that there's something going on with an external application preventing normal operation. What Firewall and AntiVirus are you running?

Wolfgang Mildne
08-02-2015, 10:20 AM
I use Norton 360 for antivirus and firewall ...

Wolfgang Mildne
08-02-2015, 10:29 AM
@Sensei

thanks for your hint to launch differently... I just got into the /bin directory, launched the Layout.exe directly, and you know what ... that does the job. I created a new link to the desktop and this also works fine.

Is there something wrong with the default launch-icon that was created by the installer?

I don't understand it, but seem to have a workaround now.

Thanks to everybody for your time and help, highly appreciated!

Edit:

Now I slowly get the culprit isolated. Just for information. Typically I use a taskbar entry that I added and defined by myself ("create new taskbar" feature, very handy for short cuts). If I launch a Layout link from the desktop, it does, what it is supposed to to. If I launch it from my taskbar entry, it fails. There is something different (wrong) with the LW launch process, I guess, because launching LW 11.X from the taskbar entry is working fine.

spherical
08-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Hmmm... I don't use secondary Toolbars. Instead, I'm judicious about what shortcuts go on the main one or use the recent programs list in Classic Shell that creates the familiar Start Menu in Win8. How are you "assembling" the secondary Toolbar? If I choose "New Toolbar" and navigate to the LightWave /bin directory, it creates a shortcut for every .exe, .dll and subdirectory in there. The Layout shortcut does work, however, and it launches as expected.

Might try going to the /bin directory, Right-click on Layout, Create Shortcut, drag it to the desktop, drag that (it'll copy) to the Toolbar. That's how I put stuff on the Toolbar, as in Win8, they cannot be created there directly. If that method works, there's something wonky in the "Create New Toolbar" function. Check the command line in your first shortcut and the one created by the method above to see if there are any differences.

Wolfgang Mildne
08-03-2015, 04:12 AM
Hmmm... I don't use secondary Toolbars. Instead, I'm judicious about what shortcuts go on the main one or use the recent programs list in Classic Shell that creates the familiar Start Menu in Win8. How are you "assembling" the secondary Toolbar? If I choose "New Toolbar" and navigate to the LightWave /bin directory, it creates a shortcut for every .exe, .dll and subdirectory in there. The Layout shortcut does work, however, and it launches as expected.

Might try going to the /bin directory, Right-click on Layout, Create Shortcut, drag it to the desktop, drag that (it'll copy) to the Toolbar. That's how I put stuff on the Toolbar, as in Win8, they cannot be created there directly. If that method works, there's something wonky in the "Create New Toolbar" function. Check the command line in your first shortcut and the one created by the method above to see if there are any differences.

Hi sperical ... I fear my description might be confusing. I try to explain, but be indulgent, because I use a non-english version and try to translate as good as I can...

The basics are as follows:

1) Create a new directory/folder
2) copy any launch icon into it as needed, you may also use sub-folders ...
3) right-click on the (WIN 7.x) taskbar, a context menu opens
4) select "toolbar"
5) click on "new toolbar"
6) search and select the folder you have created in 1) ... finished.
7) you can activate/deactivate the toolbar via the context menu

Now ... Win 7 adds the "name" of the "folder" on the right side of the taskbar (I have it on the bottom of the screen). Click on it, it opens like a drop-down menu with icons and sub-menus ...

spherical
08-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Yes, essentially what I was doing, but without having only the desired executables in the chosen directory and making a Toolbar from it. Rather than copying a launch icon, make shortcuts for them and move those into your dedicated directory to create the New Toolbar from. This, then, references the original executable in its default location. Copying them to other locations can cause issues, as the DLLs that they depend upon are not found.

Wolfgang Mildne
08-04-2015, 12:04 AM
Yes, essentially what I was doing, but without having only the desired executables in the chosen directory and making a Toolbar from it. Rather than copying a launch icon, make shortcuts for them and move those into your dedicated directory to create the New Toolbar from. This, then, references the original executable in its default location. Copying them to other locations can cause issues, as the DLLs that they depend upon are not found.

Ahh ... there is a misunderstanding ... sorry for my bad English ...

It is exactly what I do too. I did never copy a "whateveritmightbe.exe" to the directory. I used the term "launch icon" and it seems, it was a bad choice. Technically I created a "short cut" or "link" to the Layout.exe and copied the "link" to the directory. That is exactly what makes me wonder, what might be wrong with LW 2015.2, because LW 11.X and all other applications accept this launch method.

Strange ...

creacon
08-04-2015, 09:54 AM
I have been seeing this problem for some time now, but my Layout is started from the VStudio debugger, so no shortcuts involved at all. I thought this was related to my setup, but this thread shows that I am not the only one. I don't have the cryptic title, though, only "can't open Layout window".

It has nothing to do with configs either, because it can easily work fine for 10 or 20 times, then show up once and disappear again.

spherical
08-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Well, then... I'm of no help. Never have had this issue on either 32-bit or 64-bit across, idanno, 14 versions. I hope it isn't contagious. :D

As a last stab:
Try disabling Norton.
Make certain that all LightWave executables are set to Run As Administrator in their file Properties dialogues. Win7's security isn't as strict as Win8.x, but it may be that the OS thinks something that should be not allowed is going on when launching from that type of location.

Wolfgang Mildne
08-05-2015, 04:18 AM
Well, then... I'm of no help. Never have had this issue on either 32-bit or 64-bit across, idanno, 14 versions. I hope it isn't contagious. :D

As a last stab:
Try disabling Norton.
Make certain that all LightWave executables are set to Run As Administrator in their file Properties dialogues. Win7's security isn't as strict as Win8.x, but it may be that the OS thinks something that should be not allowed is going on when launching from that type of location.

Hi sperical - just checked out your "last stab" and like in an old goldmine ... that's it !!!

It is the "run as administrator" advice that makes the difference. It's absolutely reproducable.
Launch ... error ... launch ... error ...

I think, I can live with that ... at least no software error of LW to be worried about ... ;)

So many thanks for your time and valuable ideas, highly appreciated :D

spherical
08-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Happy to have been of service. Never give up. Never surrender. :)