PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips for Adding Realism to Camera Moves?

raw-m
07-31-2015, 03:06 AM
I don't need any guerrilla-style handheld documentary moves, just a little something to take the digital smoothness off.

Any tips to offer?

gordonrobb
07-31-2015, 03:10 AM
you could try adding an expression to the chanels. I'm sure one of them is camera shake type of thing. Access it through graph

kadri
07-31-2015, 03:48 AM
I don't remember the name but some of our friends here around moved the mouse while in camera mode as the view port was playing.
With automatic keyframing enabled he got a very nice handheld camera move look.

raw-m
07-31-2015, 03:54 AM
Ah, thanks - that rings a bell! Almost too obvious!

raw-m
07-31-2015, 04:05 AM
Can you use the keyboard keys while playing back? I thought it might be the arrow keys but they are taken with other stuff. What should I each for under Keyboard Shortcuts? Not sure if you can nudge translation/rotation by keys alone(?).

souzou
07-31-2015, 07:33 AM
There's a SuperJitter motion modifier that lets you tie jitter in whatever channels you want to the movement of another object (eg. a null), and you can set the max jitter which is really useful. There is also a Dr.Camera Shaker in relativity but that's probably better for proper camera shakes.

MonroePoteet
07-31-2015, 08:09 AM
In the Modifiers tab of the Graph Editor, you can use the NoisyChannel modifier to add randomness to the keyframed motion of any channel. Depending on the scale of your keyframed motion, try the default settings (speed 1.0 and scale 1.0), and then adjust to get the jitter you want.

mTp

jeric_synergy
07-31-2015, 10:16 AM
If plain old randomness doesn't do it for you, what exactly are you pursuing??

If 'walking', eg, a little waviness on the Y channel might give what you're looking for. 'Overshoot' on pans too.

raw-m
07-31-2015, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't seem to have SuperJitter, is it a LW stock? There isn't much mention of it.

I like the NoisyChannel idea but it isn't keyframe-able.

I want to avoid the randomness expression as much as possible - it seems to be literally that on each play through, I need a consistent randomness, ie. the same value on each frame when I go back to it! It'll need to sync in AE so no good here.

I've had some OK results using a texture referencing a null for the amount, so easy to turn up/down.

mummyman
07-31-2015, 10:42 AM
Randomizing motion does work great.. if you want slightly more hand-held practically one to one motions... you can try, if you own a PS3 and the MOVE.me software. Turns a PS move controller into a camera. Look into the Virtual Studio tools. They are pretty neat. A bit confusing, but neat once they work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbl7hl2PRc

raw-m
07-31-2015, 10:53 AM
Yeah, that's pretty cool but would involve me having to buy a PlayStation (and possibly a PC)! Perhaps the next job :D

mummyman
07-31-2015, 10:54 AM
Ya, it's a wee bit involved... for something that can easily be replicated using random textures on motion channels!

jeric_synergy
07-31-2015, 10:57 AM
BSG managed to have a very hand-held look, just using skill. IIRC Kat did a webcast thing (w/LALWUG?) where he explained the mechanics of the look.

Ramp it down a little and WALLUAGH!

I'd like to know the answer to the 'repeatable algorithmic randomness' question also. Maybe you supply the seed value?

souzou
07-31-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't seem to have SuperJitter, is it a LW stock? There isn't much mention of it.

Hmm looks like they've pulled it from 2015. Just checked and it's in 9.6/10/11.6

Slartibartfast
07-31-2015, 01:33 PM
Hmm looks like they've pulled it from 2015. Just checked and it's in 9.6/10/11.6

Its' in a zipped file under support/plugins/legacy.zip
(as is metaform plus which I was annoyed I didn't find at first)

jeric_synergy
07-31-2015, 02:20 PM
Are they "actually" supplanted or just in the minds of the devs?

That is: are actually better replacements included?

ernpchan
07-31-2015, 02:40 PM
I like the NoisyChannel idea but it isn't keyframe-able.

This one is.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/noisy-channel-2/

gerardstrada
08-01-2015, 10:32 AM
There's also a couple of old camera rigs here (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?82586-Camera-wiggle-shake-in-LW&p=683482&viewfull=1#post683482) you might want to try.

Gerardo