PDA

View Full Version : Need Help W/ Banding Issue In Fur

ecgi
07-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Any Fiber FX gurus have any hints on avoiding horizontal banding in fur? Thanks!

Recently, I finally let go of all of my Sasquatch workarounds and am getting on board with the status quo. My Sasquatch work made it to the big screen with one advertiser's mascot. My Fiber FX work is headed for the dust bin if I can't figure this out.

Greenlaw
07-31-2015, 12:09 AM
Some styling parameters can cause this. If you're using Splay, Twist or Clump for example, turn the value down to zero.

Also, try using lowering density, increase the Cluster value, and give the Cluster Radius a higher value--this may help blend the fibers into a more random pattern.

Be sure to use Random Length and Stray. Sometimes I like to enter a negative value in Random Length to make the fibers go randomly shorter rather than longer--but this is not a rule, it just gives a different look.

Work with a simple object first until you get a good feel for what each parameter does. Then apply what you've learned to your character.

Are you using Edit Guides at all? Combing the fur with this tool can help make it look more organic and natural. Also, add a procedural texture in Bump--this can give the fiber angles a little more randomness.

G.

ecgi
07-31-2015, 10:01 AM
Thanks! I will try this now. Love your design on Happy Box, BTW.

Greenlaw
07-31-2015, 10:22 AM
Thanks! I will try this now. Love your design on Happy Box, BTW.

Thanks! Alisa and I are working on another 'Brudders' (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133274-The-Brudders-2-Production-Log-%28Well-sort-of-%29) project and this one uses FiberFX. We mostly had to put this project aside for a couple of years but this summer we started working on it again. If you click the 'Brudders Production Log' (https://vimeo.com/channels/littlegreendog/68543424) link below, it takes you to a thread that follows the production. The info is somewhat dated now (I was using 11.5 for the first part of B2,) but you still might pick up some handy FiberFX tips there.

I'm hoping to update the info for LightWave 2015.x soon. We've learned a few new tricks since the year 2013 and the new renders are looking really nice.

G.

Dodgy
08-03-2015, 01:22 AM
I find random length helps the best. I think FFX creates a voxel at points along each fibre to generate the shadow. If all the fibres are the same length, the voxels will all be aligned, and this means the stepping will be more obvious, whereas putting a little random length offsets the voxels from each other and they shouldn't be aligned. I think :)

Greenlaw
08-03-2015, 01:44 AM
Never thought of it that way before but it makes sense. Thanks for the tip!

G.

spherical
08-03-2015, 02:39 AM
Yep. Another method of adding Noise to eliminate banding; as used in other scenarios like wide fades in skies, etc.

ecgi
08-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Thanks, Guys! Getting different looks, but I think the banding is gone.129123

Greenlaw
08-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Lookin' good! Very cute. :)

Dodgy
08-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Really nice!

ecgi
08-15-2015, 03:10 PM
Thanks for your suggestions! I am feeling a bit more confident working with FFX now.