PDA

View Full Version : Spline Control: the flipping problem

jeric_synergy
07-29-2015, 10:05 PM
in the LW11.6 addendum, there's a sidebar in the Spline Control section (p23) that states:

To align the rotations of a virtual spline’s nodes to itself, change the Heading Controller,
Pitch Controller and/or Bank Controller to “Spline Control.” When no specific spline item is specified,
the nodes will align their rotations to the spline that they themselves describe.

I was experiencing the flipping problem with an experimental spline and thought I'd try this. (EG, set each node's HPB controllers to "Spline Control".) While the resultant spline is certainly well-behaved, it is also rotated 90° on it's side, such that a "flat spline" is now sitting "on edge".

What's a better way to get a well-behaved spline? Scene attached. Problem manifests at frame 50/51.

jeric_synergy
07-30-2015, 12:54 AM
After some research (thanks Jen, via Ryan Royce), aligning the node heading/Pitch with the spline works very well. But, it's pretty tedious. The (blue) quote above seems to indicate that setting the nodes' HPB controllers to Spline Control would do this automagically.... or am I misinterpreting the meaning there?

Anyway, when I tried it it didn't seem to work. Manually pointing the nodes is a draaaaaaaaagggggggggggg.

RebelHill
07-30-2015, 07:55 AM
Just set heading and pitch control for the spline node items to spline control... done.

Or... just use my make spline on selected tool... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6UtcuhIp7w&index=46&list=PLTds3QePYrWGUd7fMuNAivIsORvpnKDqX

jeric_synergy
07-30-2015, 08:40 AM
Just set heading and pitch control for the spline node items to spline control... done.

Or... just use my make spline on selected tool... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6UtcuhIp7w&index=46&list=PLTds3QePYrWGUd7fMuNAivIsORvpnKDqX
I gave the former a whirl, it Banked the spline 90°. It may be a situation where I need to make a "run-up" node to hold the spline down, perhaps....

Thanks for the hedzup about the Make Spline On tool. Looks very helpful indeed.

RebelHill
07-30-2015, 08:45 AM
It banked the spline because you set bank channel to spline control.

Dont.

jeric_synergy
07-30-2015, 11:12 PM
--never mind, I think I see...