PDA

View Full Version : LightWave + Unity = Giant Outdoor Playset builder

ConjureBunny
07-29-2015, 10:23 AM

This is an online tool that lets you customize and order real life playground equipment.

When it's done, this company will use this to let users build their playsets online, and see what it will look like from the outside and from a child's perspective inside the top area. When it's done, one click will let you order it. A crew will drive out to your house and build it in your back yard.

LightWave + Unity + a ton of work. You'll need to look at this in something other than Chrome to view this for now, as it uses the Unity Player. An HTML5 version will be used for the final product.

http://thedarkreef.com/creativeplaythings/

-Chilton

BeeVee
07-29-2015, 02:40 PM
That looks great Chilton - I don't think it's clear enough how you step through the items - I didn't realise I needed to pick the specific swing type to start with... :)

All the best,

B
PS. Waiting for the next installment of the Dark Reef still ;)

SteveH
07-29-2015, 04:00 PM
That was very cool! Able to spit it around, zoom in and out - select the features you want. Well done Chilton!

m.d.
07-29-2015, 04:10 PM

LightWave + Unity + a ton of work. You'll need to look at this in something other than Chrome to view this for now, as it uses the Unity Player. An HTML5 version will be used for the final product.

http://thedarkreef.com/creativeplaythings/

-Chilton

I was going to ask about this, I still have NAPI plugins enabled in Chrome, but that option will disappear permanently soon. And Chrome is about 60% of the market

Can Unity spit out HTML5 no problem?

ConjureBunny
07-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Thanks!

Unity can definitely spit out HTML5, but it's consistently building gigantic files. Same with UE4. So I'm hoping Chrome keeps the option around just a little longer, until the two big game engines can get their file sizes down.

-Chilton

ideart
07-30-2015, 02:01 AM
Thanks!

Unity can definitely spit out HTML5, but it's consistently building gigantic files. Same with UE4. So I'm hoping Chrome keeps the option around just a little longer, until the two big game engines can get their file sizes down.

-Chilton

Does Unity exports HTML5 without any restrictions? Is it possible to see the results from all kind of media like phones and tablets? Define gigantic please.

Danner
07-30-2015, 03:36 AM
The builds are big because everytime you do explort an HTML build the player gets included, so even if you only export a box and a light, it bundles the the whole engine. Previously the unity build didn't include the engine, that was in the plugin that is now unsupported.

Danner
07-30-2015, 04:26 AM
As far as mobile compatibility, it does work but performance, memory and interface differences are issues. You still have to keep it simple for most mobile devices.

meshpig
07-30-2015, 10:19 PM
What a great idea but since the Unity forums are now so unwieldy and the answer system too, it's a pity we can't pick your brains somehow.

ConjureBunny
07-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Hey if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

But I have to warn you that there was no easy way to build this. I've racked my brain trying to come up with a better way I could've done this or that, to no avail. Another Unity developer had taken on this project with worse results, just before me. I saw where he went with it, and the problems he encountered, and ended up starting from scratch. There are hundreds of thousands of combinations for these playsets, and hundreds of special case scenarios for different parts. This has become one of those great white whale projects, where every step along the way has been another massive stretch of what I know how to do :D

And yeah, the Unity forums used to be fantastic, but they've really taken a turn for the worse lately. I don't know what happened to Answers, it hasn't worked right in a year.

-Chilton

m.d.
07-31-2015, 01:11 AM
So I'm hoping Chrome keeps the option around just a little longer, until the two big game engines can get their file sizes down.

-Chilton

We got 1 more month....as of September chrome is pulling all NAPI support whether flagged or not

ideart
07-31-2015, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the info Danner

meshpig
07-31-2015, 09:45 PM
Thanks Chilton, will do. A bit of a Kamikaze document by the sounds of it :)

- Eventually the webgl player will be refined to a more reasonable size??

M

ConjureBunny
07-31-2015, 09:47 PM
Hi M,

Yeah as I understand it they're starting to get the file size down now. I'm going to be doing an intensive review of how the WebGL exporter for Unity works this weekend for the next update of Landscape, since I'm only supporting the Web Player at the moment. I'm also going to be adding support for UE4's WebGL too.

So I'll know more after I've done that.

-Chilton

meshpig
07-31-2015, 10:22 PM
Sorry Chilton, Landscape?

Matt