PDA

View Full Version : Low-Poly: Robot Wolf

FenrirWolf
12-05-2003, 03:13 AM
It's not really THAT low poly, weighing in around 4000 polygons. I just lowered by subpatch division level and froze it. The hands in particular are very wasteful of geometry -- each finger is jointed and such, and I really don't need that sort of detail.

I'm not going to bother to clean up the mesh since I plan on replacing it with a newer, more detailed version. For now, it's rigged and I've got half a dozen animations for testing my game engine.

One thing I screwed up -- besides the high-poly areas around the hands -- is my UV map. I used too low a resolution (256x256) and some of the details came out blurry when I surface baked it.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you think!

UPDATE: Gamma-boosted version. :)

veljko
12-05-2003, 03:30 AM
Looks good!-

but the image lacks contrast and proper lightening-
i would work on that..

but since its an object for a game, youre going to light it with in the engine anyways sou...

cool-:)

FenrirWolf
12-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Thanks Veljko. And looking at that picture on my CRT, I see what you mean. I should've tested it on the regular tube. (The joys of LCDs...)

And as far as how it looks ingame, here's a screenshot:

http://gapingwolf.com/gamess/ss/wmss9.jpg

python_boot
12-17-2003, 09:43 PM
For game models like this, you can often get cool texture results by doing a simple skydome radiosity render (no key light, just skydome) and baking the illumination to a diffuse map. It will bring out all of the little nooks and crannies in the model when its in the game engine without requiring lots of geomtery for additional detail.

python_boot

veljko
12-19-2003, 01:57 AM
Thats good advice there

heres a screen shot of my 3d game project that went bust a year ago..
:)

are there any other game developers here in the forums?
maby they could post something?:)
is yours a TORQUE game?

veljko
12-19-2003, 01:58 AM
and another one

veljko
12-19-2003, 02:15 AM
the last one