PDA

View Full Version : ANN: UberCam 2.0: 360 videos, VR headset, Oculus Rift support, and more

Pages : [1] 2

ConjureBunny
07-24-2015, 09:31 AM
For the past few years I've been working on some cool new stuff for LightWave, and here's one of them. This set of plugins add a ton of new rendering possibilities to your toolbox, and it doesn't require any special hardware or software other than LightWave.

There are over 85,000 Oculus Rift headsets. Over a million Cardboard headsets.
But not nearly enough content! The VR world is a gold rush market right now and UberCam 2 lets you effortlessly create content for it.

:lwicon: UberCam 2 is currently LightWave-exclusive technology. :lwicon:

I fully expect the VR world to be overrun with LightWave based content now :devil:

UberCam 2 includes 18 new cameras and a few additional supporting features, for OSX and Windows users.

Among other things, the Immersive Camera can instantly turn any scene into a properly formatted 360 video for use with VR headsets or a panorama browser. You don't even need to have a 3D headset! Just take any existing scene, change your camera to our Immersive camera, and render!
Here's how easy it is to set up and use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDc679zKW50

And if you have an Oculus Rift, you can use it to look around your scene, and record your head movements, directly in Layout!

Oculus Rift Virtual Studio Tools - This lets you look around a scene and record your head movements using LightWave's Virtual Studio tools in real time!
Oculus Rift image filter - This lets you correct barrel distortion for direct-to-rift renders.

In addition, UberCam has a ton of other cool cameras, like the 12-up camera that lets you render from 12 different cameras at a time.
Skybox Camera - easily render a scene into the right format for creating video game skyboxes
4-up Camera for Holographic Video Pyramids

And a ton of updates to UberCam's existing cameras. In total, UberCam adds 18 new cameras to LightWave. Check out the link and videos for more info!

http://www.liberty3d.com/2015/07/ubercam-2-0-now-available-includes-oculus-rift-vr-headset-support/

Thank you!
-Chilton Webb

djlithium
07-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Thank you Chilton for making UberCam 2.0 possible. Your hard works shows through in this update. I know it has been many long hours, days, weeks and a few months of getting to this point but I know you are as stoked as I am about it.

Markc
07-24-2015, 09:54 AM
:D:D:D:D:D Just to confirm, if I buy an Oculus Rift, can I use it with UberCam 2.0 and LW? :D:D:D:D:D:
I have been itching to buy one, but had no real use until now.

ConjureBunny
07-24-2015, 09:58 AM
: Just to confirm, if I buy an Oculus Rift, can I use it with UberCam 2.0 and LW?

YES!!

It's a great excuse, IMO. Of course, you don't technically need the Oculus Rift to make immersive movies with UberCam, but if you need an excuse, it's a good one :D :D

- - - Updated - - -

Mark, I noticed this: "Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.10 LW 2015"

I, too, like to live dangerously.

There's one issue in the Ubercam viewer on the Mac I'm still working on. I nailed tracking down, but viewing is a little off. As soon as I fix that though there'll be an update that addresses it.

-Chilton

Markc
07-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Thanks Chilton, I couldn't believe the thread title when I read it.
Really excited about this :thumbsup:

Are there any special requirements for hardware to run the Oculus Rift?

It still works though on a Mac?
I will have to buy a Google cardboard, while I wait for Oculus Rift to arrive.

ConjureBunny
07-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Well, the Oculus Rift people have their own list, but I'm running the DK2 on a Mac here just fine, and it's a mid-2012 Retina MacBook Pro.

So YMMV. But a 2010 Mac Pro is probably more than sufficient. Plus, these headsets have an excellent resale value :D

ConjureBunny
07-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Yeah I use a Google Cardboard viewer myself. I have a DK2 I use for some things, but the Rift is so much more convenient.

ConjureBunny
07-24-2015, 10:35 AM
The really cool thing is that anyone can take an existing scene with a camera, swap it out with the Immersive camera, and re-render a fully immersive version of their scene. To me that's amazing.

It'd be like being able to go back to a 1950's era movie and see more of the set. Of course, this requires that you *designed* the whole set, and it's not a big facade :D

-Chilton

wesleycorgi
07-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Good news! I've been waiting for this.

wesleycorgi
07-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Just checking, is there an upgrade price for previous 1.x users? If no, it's still reasonably priced (and got my value from the previous version).

--- Never mind, just saw the announcement in my inbox. Thanks, L3D.

ConjureBunny
07-24-2015, 11:14 AM
It's dirt cheap for existing users. DIRT I tells ya!

And for everyone else, it's still dirt cheap compared to what you'd pay on those "other platforms" for the same functionality.

-Chilton

wesleycorgi
07-24-2015, 11:55 AM

And for everyone else, it's still dirt cheap compared to what you'd pay on those "other platforms" for the same functionality.

-Chilton

Yes, I was surprised at the generous upgrade offer! Thanks, again.

Greenlaw
07-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Congratulations Chilton! The Oculus Rift support sounds very cool.

I'm not exactly sure how I personally would use this yet (I tend to assemble only what's in front of the camera,) but based on the coolness factor alone, I'll be thinking up reasons to get these tools. :)

G.

ConjureBunny
07-24-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm not exactly sure how I personally would use this yet (I tend to assemble only what's in front of the camera,) but based on the coolness factor alone, I'll be thinking up reasons to get these tools. :)

You know, that's *EXACTLY* what got me started down this path. I was thinking, if I didn't own one of these devices, how could I actually make money in the industry anyway. And it hit me that if I could render out the movie in the right format, I wouldn't need anything but LightWave. So the Immersive Camera was born from that.

Plus UberCam has a bunch of other cool stuff anyway. So not everything in there requires special equipment. Google is even adding spherical advertisements now, so there's money to be made, man!

- - - Updated - - -

Kids in particular are amazed by this stuff. I predict a flourishing VR market for kids' shows soon.

-Chilton

wesleycorgi
07-24-2015, 05:32 PM
The immersive stuff is some cool sh*t! Can't wait to start creating some stuff -- I love the idea that each time you discover something new when you watch a video. Because I was fumbling around on a tablet, it took me three times before I could see any of the Avengers in the example scene.

allabulle
07-24-2015, 06:31 PM
Hey! This is fantastic (and cheap!). I'm buying next month. For some of my archviz projects, when always some more views are needed, so many renders after the deadline are asked... I can see how this could be a fantastic solution besides the shots committed. That and probably a way to work with surface and light backing... mmmh. Great tool!

Thanks!

Davewriter
07-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all of your Hard Work!
Thanks for the Kool product!
And Thanks for the Wonderful low price! And that was before I found out about the return customer discount.
Just the past week someone was talking to me about an idea he had for an immersive project... and... BAM! Here I go :)

ianr
07-27-2015, 07:48 AM
The Way 2 go, Chilton & Kelly

Many Congratulations, V.R. is reborn.

And Lightwave is FIRST there, hope

everbody can capitalize on this.

ConjureBunny
07-27-2015, 09:16 AM
Thank you everyone!

Yeah there are some *really* cool things in here, and I'd love to see the VR world flooded with LightWave content. I am hoping that happens, actually. This is a whole new platform and it's only going to get bigger.

And that's not all! We have several more tricks up our sleeves. But this gets anyone in the door with nothing more than a copy of LightWave.

And if you have VR gear (Oculus Rift, Google Cardboard, GearVR, etc.) you can do even more with it.

-Chilton

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a little something we're working on as a demo.
(only a preview...)

Best experienced in a VR headset or in Google Chrome on a desktop. Otherwise it's just weird looking :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_HOsNocYc8

-Chilton

djlithium
07-27-2015, 11:16 AM
Hey! This is fantastic (and cheap!). I'm buying next month. For some of my archviz projects, when always some more views are needed, so many renders after the deadline are asked... I can see how this could be a fantastic solution besides the shots committed. That and probably a way to work with surface and light backing... mmmh. Great tool!

Thanks!

This would be really cool if we could get someone who has some ARchViz stuff that they can use the Immersive Camera with. I may even been able to render it out for them on the 6 machines I have here depending on what frame times are like.

The BSG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_HOsNocYc8 animation is being slow (normal because of the reflections stuff) at about 20m a frame on some of my systems, but once it's done it's going to be amazing. If someone out there has some scenes we could use for demo purposes please let Chilton or I know!

Kat

- - - Updated - - -

The Way 2 go, Chilton & Kelly

Many Congratulations, V.R. is reborn.

And Lightwave is FIRST there, hope

everbody can capitalize on this.

Thanks Ian.

UberCam 2.0 is more than just the rift support of course. And there is more to it coming!

souzou
07-27-2015, 11:57 AM
This looks very cool. Can I just ask, is there any difference between the immersive camera and using an advanced camera with 360deg cylinder fov? Is ubercam multithreaded? (I had a quick look through the product page & manual but couldn't see, apologies if I've missed an obvious point somewhere).

ConjureBunny
07-27-2015, 01:19 PM
This looks very cool. Can I just ask, is there any difference between the immersive camera and using an advanced camera with 360deg cylinder fov? Is ubercam multithreaded? (I had a quick look through the product page & manual but couldn't see, apologies if I've missed an obvious point somewhere).

Man that is a good question.

First, I want to say that I'm *positive* you can build something that mimics the immersive camera's results somehow using other cameras. I am not very good at setting up LightWave's cameras myself, which was one of the reasons I built this camera. I wanted something I could just drop in a scene and go, without any setup whatsoever.

That said, I tried it with the advanced camera and a 360į cylinder FOV but didn't quite get the results I wanted. It's possible I did it wrong though. Here's what I got trying that...

Here's the exact same scene with the immersive camera, which looks correct in VR, so you can see there are some differences, at the top and bottom especially.

The Advanced camera renders that scene in 22.3 seconds.
The Immersive camera renders that scene in 4.3 seconds.

I don't know why there's such a massive difference, but there is.

Spherical renders take a lot of time as it is, so if time is important to you, the Immersive camera might save you a little. Or not. I honestly don't know why it's that much faster.

hmm...
Maybe... if you used a sphere's rays as the normals for the camera normals, that would do it. I think one of the cameras supports that. I suppose you'd parent the sphere to the camera and drag that around in the scene. I guess you might also have to factor in the location and size of the sphere, to get the normals right. I haven't tried this, but if someone else gets around to it I'd be curious about the results.

Now, seriously, I could've set this up wrong. I'm not trying to make this look complicated or impossible. The Immersive camera requires literally no configuration. here's the properties panel for it:

But again, I suspect that this is doable via some other means. Surely it is, somehow. I just don't know it off the top of my head. Meanwhile, the Immersive camera does it in one step, and it renders really fast.

The longer term goal for this was to create a camera I could do some additional work on, which as far as I know hasn't ever been done in a camera on any CG platform. I'm doing now, and will check back later with the results.

But for now, the Immersive camera does what it's supposed to do quickly and perfectly without any user intervention. That was the goal :)

And yes, the Immersive camera is a fully multithreaded camera.

-Chilton

souzou
07-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Man that is a good question.

The Advanced camera renders that scene in 22.3 seconds.
The Immersive camera renders that scene in 4.3 seconds.

I don't know why there's such a massive difference, but there is.

Spherical renders take a lot of time as it is, so if time is important to you, the Immersive camera might save you a little. Or not. I honestly don't know why it's that much faster.

Thanks Chilton. The advanced camera seemingly doesn't support multithreaded rendering (just down to one core when rendering with it) so it looks like the immersive camera avoids that limitation. High fives all round. I was doing a Youtube 360 test render for a client the other week using the advanced camera and it was s-l-o-w. Looks like you get a lot less distortion with the immersive camera too.

Great job will be buying later this week!

Markc
07-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Before I take the plunge on a Rift.
How is it accessed and used from LW, I have dual monitors (each on separate gpu's), both can support 3 displays.
If I plug the Rift into one gpu spare port, does this affect the two displays, what I mean is does the Rift act as a third display which I can look at as required or will it disable one of my monitors, or does it mirror the main display?

Also is the view through the Rift the LW interface or an output screen, I can't seem to get my head around how it works?

ConjureBunny
07-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Before I take the plunge on a Rift.
How is it accessed and used from LW, I have dual monitors (each on separate gpu's), both can support 3 displays.
If I plug the Rift into one gpu spare port, does this affect the two displays, what I mean is does the Rift act as a third display which I can look at as required or will it disable one of my monitors, or does it mirror the main display?

Also is the view through the Rift the LW interface or an output screen?

Well, I can only speak for my humble setup here. And here, it shows up as a separate display. There's a 'direct to display' mode for the Rift though that gets around this, as I understand it. I'm exploring that for the next update.

What you see through the rift is what you see through the camera, and it's in stereo, for each eye. Currently that adds some lag due to image distortion correction I'm applying. Next version will have an option to turn that off (which is a little depressing, considering how much time I poured into that :D )

-Chilton

lardbros
07-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Very very cool intro video there Chilton. Especially cool as it uses the content scene I provided to Newtek! Haha! ;)

This is a cool product though... And if you're a freelancer looking to add another string to your bow, then what a great time to add immersive VR movies to your arsenal!
Very tempted indeed!

ConjureBunny
07-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Especially cool as it uses the content scene I provided to Newtek! Haha! ;)

That's awesome. That was one of my go-to scenes for performance testing for the longest time. It's simple, lightweight, and provides a reliable test of several systems at one time. I used the heck out of it :D

-Chilton

DCjr
07-28-2015, 12:14 AM
So I do not have one yet, a Rift. In the meantime, can you recommend a decent 360 viewer on the mac?
I tried using google chrome and it was super buggy and slow just to run without a VR movie.
Im working on a project and Im seriously considering a Rift. I saw the samsung model, but it only works with their phone and I have an iPhone 5
Any inout would be appreciated
Oh, Im going to upgrade soon!
Thanks for an excellent tool!

lardbros
07-28-2015, 01:03 AM
That's awesome. That was one of my go-to scenes for performance testing for the longest time. It's simple, lightweight, and provides a reliable test of several systems at one time. I used the heck out of it :D

-Chilton

That's so cool... I'm glad it's been of use to someone.
I made it to show how easily an animation can be made with just two bones.

Anyway, still tempted by the ubercam, you guys have done some great work here!

ConjureBunny
07-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Here's a scene I rendered out last night : https://flic.kr/p/wyGAyo

Full size is at the Flickr URL above.

Now, this looks outstanding already. But a fully immersive, 360 panoramic video would blow people away. If I was doing arch vis, that's exactly what I'd do.

-Chilton

BeeVee
07-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Chilton, or Liberty 3D in general, don't forget to update your plugin page on the LightWave site: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/submissions/ (hit that My Plugins button at the top). And the BSG vid works well in Firefox too, on the PC at least, so that's good :)

B

Davewriter
07-29-2015, 10:22 PM
I don't have a headset yet.
I'm hoping that someone will be giving away cardboard sets at Siggraph.
I'll start hunting for some right after laying flowers down at the Unknown Booth.

ianr
07-30-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi Davewriter,
Take one of those Boxy Cardboard Carrying Bags they give out
& slide a load into it for all of us, while smiling into their eyes?

Davewriter
07-30-2015, 08:27 PM
Hi Davewriter,
Take one of those Boxy Cardboard Carrying Bags they give out
& slide a load into it for all of us, while smiling into their eyes?

I'll just ask the wife to wear something a little "Special" to act as a distraction. Do you think me carrying around my own trash bag would be noticed?
Hey, I'll work on it :)

Markc
08-01-2015, 08:38 AM
I don't normally like Mondays.
But my Oculus Rift arrives this Monday :dance:

ConjureBunny
08-01-2015, 08:57 AM
The Oculus Rift is so weird. Before I had mine I really didn't get why anyone gave a crap.

I've seen VR, I thought. It sucks.

And then you put that thing on, and suddenly everything's magical again :D

----------------

Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.10 LW 2015

As a Mac developer you have no idea how much this burns me to say: The UberCam viewer works on Windows, but doesn't work on the Mac yet. Headset *tracking* works great, but not the viewer itself.

You can get around this by using VPR and the StereoCam, and setting your Oculus Rift to mirror the main display, but I'll have the native Mac viewer working soon.

-Chilton

jwiede
08-02-2015, 03:10 PM
As a Mac developer you have no idea how much this burns me to say: The UberCam viewer works on Windows, but doesn't work on the Mac yet. Headset *tracking* works great, but not the viewer itself.

You can get around this by using VPR and the StereoCam, and setting your Oculus Rift to mirror the main display, but I'll have the native Mac viewer working soon.

Yeah, other new stuff is cool, but not having the viewer work on Mac is kind of a big limitation, IMO.

ConjureBunny
08-02-2015, 03:37 PM
It is. I mean, you can get around it by using mirroring, but ideally I'd have this working on both platforms. It's on the roadmap.

There are some bugs in the Oculus Rift SDK that they're not going to fix, because they've officially discontinued Mac development for the moment.

But that's not going to stop me :)

-Chilton

Dillon
08-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Congratulations on getting this completed!

Would love to see a video of the side by side image that would be projected into the Rift while viewing the realtime camera rig inside of a LW scene.

Also, does the rendered 360 VR view also render stereo video, or is it just a 360 sphere?

ConjureBunny
08-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks!

At the moment, the Immersive camera renders a standard 360 pano movie or stills. No Oculus Rift required.

The Oculus Rift part is only needed if you want to use the head tracking for a character in a scene, or if you just want to go exploring your scene from the inside out. The immersive camera works without it though.

Stereoscopic 360 is what I'm working on right now, for the next minor update. No solid ETA yet, but it's very very close.

And there are many other cameras in this, too, all of them multi-threaded and in some cases faster than their native LightWave cameras. YMMV.

-Chilton

Dillon
08-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Any plans to show a rift view of what the stereoscopic side by side image made would be from the immersive camera while working in LW openGL? Impressive that the camera/FPS is faster in this new camera. Love to see a demo of it on youtube!

Also, I'm imagining using this as a tool to build scenes to scale in Layout, test out animations and movements before moving everything into Unreal Engine for building the interactivity.

ConjureBunny
08-04-2015, 12:16 PM
I don't know if we have a video showing exactly what you want to see yet (ie what the video in the headset looks like while the Oculus Rift is running), but there's this, showing how it works when you set it up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMdkCxYVRqA

I'll see about recording something like what you want soon. I've got a backlog of cool stuff I want to render at the moment :D

-Chilton

DCjr
08-04-2015, 03:41 PM
I want to get a Rift, but Im not sure if I should get the devkit. I want to create realtime environments at some point, and Im just now starting out with animated sequences - playback - not realtime.
Should I get a devkit even if Im not a programmer, but rather a content creator?
Or should I be ok without the devkit?

spherical
08-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Just a heads-up... if you navigate to:
http://www.liberty3d.com/store/tools/liberty3d-tools/
and click the Liberty3D UberCam 2.0 link:
http://www.liberty3d.com/tools/ubercam-camera-plugin/
The page loads bus says: No Results Found

ConjureBunny
08-04-2015, 06:29 PM
What the ???

I'm on it. Thank you.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
08-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Hi,

I want to get a Rift, but Im not sure if I should get the devkit. I want to create realtime environments at some point, and Im just now starting out with animated sequences - playback - not realtime.
Should I get a devkit even if Im not a programmer, but rather a content creator?
Or should I be ok without the devkit?

Well, they call it a 'devkit' to discourage people from thinking it's the consumer product. It requires a little too much setup for the average user, I think. Mount a head tracking receiver, requires two USB inputs, need to install drivers and do screen configuration, etc. Once you get it set up, it's really cool, and fun :)

I'd get a devkit at some point just for the "fun" aspect of it. Besides, they have really high resale value. There are kits selling on ebay for twice what it costs to just buy one new. I think the reason is that there's always a little bit of a delay, and some people NEED DAT VR NOW!!!

But you don't need one to get started in this. Most of the excitement right now is centered around the 360 VR movies, which you can do with the Immersive camera and LightWave, without anything else.

-Chilton

djlithium
08-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Just a heads-up... if you navigate to:
http://www.liberty3d.com/store/tools/liberty3d-tools/
and click the Liberty3D UberCam 2.0 link:
The page loads bus says: No Results Found

Use this instead. http://www.liberty3d.com/store/tools/liberty3d-tools/ubercam/
We reorganized some of the pages and broke some stuff that was already out in the wild. My fault!

spherical
08-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Need a 301 redirect when you do that. :D Either by plugin or in .htaccess or database search/replace.

djlithium
08-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Need a 301 redirect when you do that. :D Either by plugin or in .htaccess or database search/replace.

It's a miss on my part in the product description landing page when using a "fancy" display code that generates products on that page. It's fixed.

DCjr
08-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Hi,

But you don't need one to get started in this. Most of the excitement right now is centered around the 360 VR movies, which you can do with the Immersive camera and LightWave, without anything else.

-Chilton

Cool, I already ordered UberCam. Im a little nervous about jumping in - Im almost ready to render, and its been suggested that I do a stereoscopic render too! I better order my rift!

spherical
08-05-2015, 12:12 AM
It's a miss on my part in the product description landing page when using a "fancy" display code that generates products on that page. It's fixed.

THAT may be fixed, but the original situation still needs to be addressed.

Loading the original URL that was Borked:
STILL goes to No Results Found
That needs to be redirected by a 301 to the new location:
http://www.liberty3d.com/store/tools/liberty3d-tools/ubercam/
Otherwise, as once it's out there--it's out there forever, that error will continue to show.

fishhead
08-05-2015, 01:38 AM
Stereoscopic 360 is what I'm working on right now, for the next minor update. No solid ETA yet, but it's very very close.

Hi Chilton,

you mean like omnidirectional stereo for the spherical camera??? That would be a real blast!!! Please say, I am assuming right here!! :-)

cheers,

Lorenz

Thomas Leitner
08-05-2015, 03:05 AM
Hi,
in the video in post #42 you mentioned google cardboard. Is it allready possible to use cardboard with the studio tools, like you show it with the rift? Of course only the rotation.

ciao
thomas

ConjureBunny
08-05-2015, 06:38 AM
Hi Chilton,

you mean like omnidirectional stereo for the spherical camera??? That would be a real blast!!! Please say, I am assuming right here!! :-)

cheers,

Lorenz

I have that working already :D There are instructions in this next update for how to do that.

What I'm working on now is one step rendering of a stereoscopic panorama, where it has an accurate (and changeable by the artist) sense of depth to it, as well as it being a panorama.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
08-05-2015, 06:40 AM
Hi,
in the video in post #42 you mentioned google cardboard. Is it allready possible to use cardboard with the studio tools, like you show it with the rift? Of course only the rotation.

ciao
thomas

Hi Thomas,

Not yet, though that is on my list for future improvements. The only trick there is it would also require pushing data from the LightWave camera to the google cardboard device to view it, which would require transmission over Wifi most likely, which requires a whole host of behind the scenes tomfoolery. My biggest concern here is that there might not be enough interest to drive creating something like that.

That said, it is absolutely, totally doable, and I have portions of it working now, because I just can't let an interesting idea go :D

-Chilton

fishhead
08-05-2015, 08:34 AM
Amazing!! :-)
You see me very excited! :-)))

erikals
08-05-2015, 03:21 PM
just curious, does it work with Octane, or could it work in Octane in a future release ?

ConjureBunny
08-05-2015, 03:49 PM
I'm not very familiar with Octane, so don't take my word for this. But from what I can tell, their panoramic camera does something very similar to our Immersive Camera, with the right settings.

Now, I don't know how easy (or hard) it is to set it up, but I suspect that it's not that hard.

It's not that the Immersive Camera does something no one's ever done before. My goal for that one was to make it idiot proof and dead simple to use. Something you could instantly just drop into any scene and pop out a perfect panoramic movie or still.

--- edit ----

As for the other features of UberCam, as far as I can tell, Octane does not do any form of VR head tracking or lens distortion correction, for non-panoramic movies. I could be way wrong there though. From what I can tell, there is only one other product on the market that does this, and it's a Maya exclusive.

-Chilton

fishhead
08-07-2015, 01:47 AM
Maybe I oversaw it - I was wondering if there is any purchase option for updaters from v1.9?

erikals
08-07-2015, 01:59 AM
thank you Chilton,

i might give it a test run once i get a hold of an Oculus or similar... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

i assume other VR alternatives could work too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMobvzMB8yY

ConjureBunny
08-07-2015, 05:55 AM
Maybe I oversaw it - I was wondering if there is any purchase option for updaters from v1.9?

There absolutely is. Check your email, and if it's not in there, contact Kat at Liberty3D and he'll fill you in on the details!

-Chilton

- - - Updated - - -

thank you Chilton,

i might give it a test run once i get a hold of an Oculus or similar... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

i assume other VR alternatives could work too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMobvzMB8yY

Only the Oculus Rift works with the Oculus Rift specific components like the head tracking, but the UberCam cameras (like the Immersive camera) don't require any form of VR headset. You can create content without buying any special hardware.

-Chilton

Markc
08-07-2015, 10:06 AM
The Oculus Rift is so weird. Before I had mine I really didn't get why anyone gave a crap.

I've seen VR, I thought. It sucks.

And then you put that thing on, and suddenly everything's magical again :D

----------------

-Chilton

Hi, Chilton, have set up my Rift and it moves the camera in layout.
How do you set it to Mirror, the only option is extended (sdk 0.5.0.1)?

Edit: it's the mirror option in system preferences.

I'm putting my Rift back in its box until it's better supported (on Mac).
It's a major pain in the butt to have to set to mirror displays to look around a scene, this not only makes one monitor redundant but sets an awful low resolution to suit the Rift.

Hey Ho, luck forward to your updates to sort this :thumbsup:

ConjureBunny
08-07-2015, 10:33 AM
It's a way, way less than ideal setup on the Mac currently.

Hang tight though, I'm almost done with the Mac viewer.

-Chilton

Markc
08-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Cool, looking forward to it.

DCjr
08-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Cool, looking forward to it.

Ditto!

I should have my Rift by next Wednesday. I have a dual boot on my Mac Pro. Hopefully I can use that.

Thanks!

DCjr
08-07-2015, 02:13 PM

-Chilton

Willl you be showing UberCam 2 at SIGGraph 2015?

SteveH
08-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Chilton - the web address still doesn't load for me.....

Dillon
08-18-2015, 10:46 AM
I just tried to puchase Ubercam, and when I hit "add to checkout" the website apparently crashed.

$70 to buy, and I've already got a DK2 and LW 2015. Seems like a no brainer to jump in. Can't wait to try out the stereoscopic camera.

Question - what playback devices are available to stream content locally? I'm new to this arena, and your app is going to make me make the first real steps into VR experimentation.

Also curious if these rendered films are capable of being placed in a game engine like Unreal?

Chilton - the web address still doesn't load for me.....

Dillon
08-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Website is back online now. Just bought ubercam. Not able to get the cameras to load up after adding in the plugins. :(

I just tried to puchase Ubercam, and when I hit "add to checkout" the website apparently crashed.

$70 to buy, and I've already got a DK2 and LW 2015. Seems like a no brainer to jump in. Can't wait to try out the stereoscopic camera.

Question - what playback devices are available to stream content locally? I'm new to this arena, and your app is going to make me make the first real steps into VR experimentation.

Also curious if these rendered films are capable of being placed in a game engine like Unreal?

jwiede
08-18-2015, 11:52 AM

Really looking fwd to it ASAP! -- I agree with Markc, mirroring for VR on Mac isn't really usable IMO.

ConjureBunny
08-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Willl you be showing UberCam 2 at SIGGraph 2015?

No, SIGGraph won't let me demo anything there due to my constant need to be nude, drunk, and I like to yell a lot.

Also, I've been told it's over, so I completely missed it this year. Next year everyone will have these retinal eyeball displays and VR will be a thing of the past. Or not.

-Chilton

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry for the site outage earlier today. I believe Dillon broke it.

Or our host ISP sucks. That could also explain it.

ConjureBunny
08-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Hi Dillon!

This is part of my plan to provide excellent customer service. If nothing goes wrong there's no way for me to fix it. So frequent server outages set the bar really low, and make me look good. At least that's my story until we find a new ISP.

$70 to buy, and I've already got a DK2 and LW 2015. Seems like a no brainer to jump in. Can't wait to try out the stereoscopic camera. Awesome. The next update (which we're busy testing at the moment) will speed up the stereo cam a bit for realtime preview, and add a few new cool tricks.

You know, that's a great question and one I need to get some formal answers on. I have some preferred apps for Droid and iOS local playback, but I need to get a list of good Oculus Rift apps as well. I'll post it as soon as I have that assembled.

At this time you can do panoramic movies in both Unreal and Unity, but that's freakin' bleeding edge stuff. This is definitely an upcoming market though, so I'm putting together some example materials and instructions for that, which will likely either be in the next update or in some kind of addendum we send out. I'm not sure yet.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
08-18-2015, 11:08 PM
Website is back online now. Just bought ubercam. Not able to get the cameras to load up after adding in the plugins. :(

This is disturbing. If you're still having problems with it, please let me know. It should 'just work'. Depending on the platform and exactly what's happening, it could be a number of things. I think we have some specific instructions in the readme, but I'll check on that.

-Chilton

- - - Updated - - -

Really looking fwd to it ASAP! -- I agree with Markc, mirroring for VR on Mac isn't really usable IMO.

Man, that's the damn truth. It's far from ideal IMO.

-Chilton

Markc
08-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Chilton,

Could you share your list of preferred ios apps, I assume this is for Google Cardboard?

spigolo
08-24-2015, 06:55 AM
Just a couple of question before purchaising:

does it support Octane render?
if i have an exterior building does the camera create a tour around it (like in a semi-sphere) in one step?
can you list some players for the pictures generated?

Many thanks

ConjureBunny
08-24-2015, 08:07 AM
Chilton,

Could you share your list of preferred ios apps, I assume this is for Google Cardboard?

I'm putting that together and will report back soon.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
08-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Hi,

Just a couple of question before purchaising:

does it support Octane render?
if i have an exterior building does the camera create a tour around it (like in a semi-sphere) in one step?
can you list some players for the pictures generated?

Many thanks

Octane uses its own cameras, and can already do this with some setup. There are instructions in the Octane forums for doing it with that.

If you're just using Ubercam and Lightwave, you just switch to immersive camera and that's it. If you're using Octane, there's some setup that I don't know the details of. I'm sure it's easy enough, but I just don't know enough about the process to be of any help.

As for players, I'm putting together a list now, but in the short term I can tell you that services like Round.me offer their own app, so if you put your panoramic images there, you can view them immediately in that app: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TyMLDxyzVk

And for video, the YouTube player will play back video you uploaded in VR mode if you use the instructions here:

I'm putting together a more comprehensive list of apps, players, and sites now. I'll blather on and on about that when I'm done :)

-Chilton

jwiede
08-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Any word on progress towards or ETA for (working) Mac 3D "player"/display/preview?

Thanks in advance!

jeric_synergy
08-26-2015, 10:22 AM
Hmmm, should I miss this gravy train too? 8~ A guy at the AESeattle meeting had one of those Samsung units and although it was crude, it was compelling. Will only get better.

SteveH
08-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Jeric - Were you able to view You Tube videos or Roundme tours on the internet - or were you only able to view the precanned demo scenes that come with the Gear VR? I just went down to Best Buy last Sunday - but they only had one demo scene - and that was all I could view. It was a very limited demo - and I left without buying it. I was kind of disappointed with the limited demo that was available.

jeric_synergy
08-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Well, this guy had made his own scene in C4d, it was very atmospheric/creepy. I wasn't impressed, but I was intrigued.

This is at the AESeattle u.g., so it's pretty C4D oriented.

ConjureBunny
08-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Any word on progress towards or ETA for (working) Mac 3D "player"/display/preview?

Thanks in advance!

At this time I have one little speedbump preventing me from finishing the Mac version of the Oculus Rift player (everything else already works).

Just gotta wrap my head around it... :)

-Chilton

djlithium
08-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Here are some more examples!
It seems Littlstar.com has much better compression than youtube.com for this stuff.

http://littlstar.com/videos/d4cad099

http://littlstar.com/videos/5232b205

Also if you want to get a deal on ubercam now is the time.
Itís our 5th annual back to school sale where you can get 25% off your purchases of Liberty3d.com Branded Tools and Training. Just use the coupon code: Back2School2015 when you check out of the store and get 25% off your purchases.

Cageman
08-29-2015, 05:05 PM
W.O.W!

Holy cow... this is sooo awesome!!!! How the _hell_ did you guys figure this out? This is a single renderpass with just some post-process stuff (to combine/assemble what Ubercam outputs?? How in hell? WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! :O

VermilionCat
08-30-2015, 12:22 AM
LW freezes when I use Fisheye Camera and play with Distortion Power in VPR. Is this a bug?

Markc
08-30-2015, 06:39 AM
Works fine here in LW 2015.2 with Ubercam 2.0.2!

VermilionCat
08-30-2015, 07:30 AM
Thanks for checking, Markc! I'm using 2015.3 Win64 so this might be a cause.

ConjureBunny
08-30-2015, 11:47 AM
Hi,

We're trying to nail down some weird bugs at the moment that of course never happen on any of the developer machines.
So please send bug reports in when you get them so we can figure this out.

Thanks!
-Chilton

- - - Updated - - -

W.O.W!

Holy cow... this is sooo awesome!!!! How the _hell_ did you guys figure this out? This is a single renderpass with just some post-process stuff (to combine/assemble what Ubercam outputs?? How in hell? WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! :O

50% head scratching
50% terrible math
50% effort.
Another 50% correcting above terrible math.

It's just terrible, terrible math :D

-Chilton

jeric_synergy
08-30-2015, 01:18 PM
50% head scratching
50% terrible math
50% effort.
Another 50% correcting above terrible math.

It's just terrible, terrible math :D
-Chilton
You're missing the 10% booze.

spherical
08-31-2015, 11:18 PM

-Chilton

OK, I'm blind.... Where do existing users upgrade?

fishhead
09-01-2015, 03:34 AM
Apparantly there were some users left out for some odd reason when the mailing was sent out. happened to me, too.
Just write mail to kat [at] liberty3d . com

They will probably respond immediately...

djlithium
09-01-2015, 10:20 AM
OK, I'm blind.... Where do existing users upgrade?

You should have received an email from my [email protected] liberty3d.com address. If not, fire me off an email and I will send it to you. :)

spherical
09-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Kat. On its way.

shrox
09-01-2015, 07:26 PM
Here are some more examples!
It seems Littlstar.com has much better compression than youtube.com for this stuff.

http://littlstar.com/videos/d4cad099

http://littlstar.com/videos/5232b205

Also if you want to get a deal on ubercam now is the time.
Itís our 5th annual back to school sale where you can get 25% off your purchases of Liberty3d.com Branded Tools and Training. Just use the coupon code: Back2School2015 when you check out of the store and get 25% off your purchases.

I did that ISS one, it was rushed so it's got a few mistakes. But it's really easy to do, just render with UberCam immersive, make the output into an mp4 (I used Premiere), use the Google converter and your done! Just upload the movie and view!

I am working on a trip though a wormhole now, similar to Interstellar, but fully immersive!

lardbros
09-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Love those demo videos Kat... really, really nice sales material. Soooo tempted to buy it!

wesleycorgi
09-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Finally got my first 360VR on Youtube — some cool stuff! Thanks L3D. In case you already didn't know, when you move your iPhone around it pans around the scene (in lieue of the navigation clicks) when you use the iOS Youtube app. It's regular "flat" video using Youtube within the iPhone Safari/Chrome browser.

And if you are on an android phone and use the Youtube app, it does the same thing plus gives you the option to use Google Cardboard. Using a browser on the phone, it just shows the regular video similar to iPhone. I don't have a Cardboard, so it will be my next "toy!"

adk
09-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Just upgraded to the latest UC and it's very very cool. Also thanks for the discount to existing UC owners :thumbsup:
I have a quick question for you technical wizards regarding DOF support for the immersive camera. Any plans on supporting it in the future or is there some technical reason as to why it's disabled at the moment ?
I noticed MB and stereo both work and I'd really love to test some cinematic DOF with this toy :)
For now I'm left to experiment with Denis Pontonniers Node Image filter DOF.

mummyman
09-04-2015, 12:14 PM
It's great stuff. Messing around with my phone and some apps.. of course making me motion sick. But it's great!

djlithium
09-09-2015, 09:37 AM
It's great stuff. Messing around with my phone and some apps.. of course making me motion sick. But it's great!

I had another product idea to go with ubercam/VR in general that would solve this. Basically an energy drink that kills nausea and gives you a boost, some vitamins for those of us who will be trapped in doors all the time as well. Even had a clinical pharmacist do a preliminary breakdown of what would be in it to give the drink the best efficacy. But sadly... No such luck on that front on bringing out a product like that. Another one of my half billion dollar ideas toast... :(

mummyman
09-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Ha

djlithium
09-09-2015, 09:38 AM
I did that ISS one, it was rushed so it's got a few mistakes. But it's really easy to do, just render with UberCam immersive, make the output into an mp4 (I used Premiere), use the Google converter and your done! Just upload the movie and view!

I am working on a trip though a wormhole now, similar to Interstellar, but fully immersive!

Littlstar is much easier to work with. You don't need the google metadata injection with them as all they do is spherical video. =^..^=
But even still if uploading to youtube, the process is straightforward.

mummyman
09-09-2015, 10:20 AM
How would this process work in a 3d package without Uber? Render out say 12 cams in all directions and stitch them together in post? That'd be a pain, but probably would work?

shrox
09-09-2015, 11:03 AM
...make the output into an mp4 (I used Premiere), use the Google converter and your done! ...

Oops, don't use Premiere....it puts a letterbox frame around the output.

robertoortiz
09-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Any ideas on how to encode Audio to these renderings?

adk
09-11-2015, 05:52 PM
A quick UberCam immersive test of an existing test, feel like Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder :D.
Using IFW2 for the rings + DPont node image filters for post process.
I wanted to see how the immersive stuff would handle post processed effects which were obviously not meant for this sort of projection. Interesting effects.
Next test ... DOF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQwQFXueCV4

Best viewed with some sort of goggles :thumbsup:

ConjureBunny
09-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Awesome :D

shrox
09-11-2015, 09:18 PM
A quick UberCam immersive test of an existing test, feel like Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder :D.
I wanted to see how the immersive stuff would handle post processed effects which were obviously not meant for this sort of projection. Interesting effects.
Next test ... DOF

Neat! I am doing some tunnely ones too.

adk
09-12-2015, 12:30 AM
Will love to see what you come up with shrox. I did this last night watching a footy match so it's very rough and short, and needs uv mapping to be seamless.

Thanks ConjureBunny, quick question which I'm pretty sure is not doable in this immersive projection. Is it possible to vary the lens focal length? I'm no light bending specialist but I can't see how that could possibly work. Thanks

SteveH
09-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Uberawesome adk! Hey a new word for cool 3D done using Ubercam.

Dillon
09-12-2015, 09:52 AM
YEAAAAASSSS!!!

This is a beautiful example of things to come, and I bought Ubercam to imagine just this type of immersive environment. Replete with 360 degree movie editor (including spatial sound), this is a completely new field in image and content creation.

So glad you made this, and so glad I bought it. It's amazing to view my LW scene in true 3D inside the rift. Ubercam is AWESOME! A combination of Studio LIVE and VPR with Ubercam can instantly put me into a truly immersive 3D environment that is indescribable.

But I find myself at a bizarre point with this, though. I don't have a gear vr (no compatible phone), and will not buy one yet because of the upcoming release from samsung/Oculus in the coming weeks. So even though I bought UberCam, I don't really have any way to view anything I make because I don't have the proper hardware to view the result. While Ubercam will show me a frozen still render via VPR, I can't rotate my head to view the full 360 environment.

Erg! The irony of living on the bleeding edge! :(

Next test ... DOF

shrox
09-12-2015, 10:44 AM
http://littlstar.com/videos/508b3e63

Dillon
09-12-2015, 11:15 AM

NICE!!

Now what app did you use to cut that together?

I just downloaded the little star app to my galaxy. Now I see how it functions. More AR than VR. Wonder how immersive it feels in a Gear VR? Does it even work with a gear vr?

shrox
09-12-2015, 11:28 AM
NICE!!

Now what app did you use to cut that together?

I just downloaded the little star app to my galaxy. Now I see how it functions. More AR than VR. Wonder how immersive it feels in a Gear VR? Does it even work with a gear vr?

I used Premiere, but you first have to set up a custom project using the "Desktop" setting.

Dillon
09-12-2015, 11:31 AM
I used Premiere, but you first have to set up a custom project using the "Desktop" setting.

Oh. My. God!

Does littlestar work with gearvr HMD?

edited: nevermind! answered my own question! It is!

Now to see what Oculus will reveal in a couple weeks.

shrox
09-12-2015, 11:46 AM

I did just kind of throw this together, the transitions could be lined up better and timed a bit more smoothly. I would like to see it in VR. Someone try it and get back to us!

adk
09-12-2015, 05:41 PM
I did just kind of throw this together, the transitions could be lined up better and timed a bit more smoothly. I would like to see it in VR. Someone try it and get back to us!

Just meta tag your original video with the google tool mentioned in the docs and upload that to YouTube. The rest is automatic.

Cool video btw. I really like some of the blends as they look like some sort of space warps. Really interesting effect.

... and thanks guys. I'll endeavour to make the next one a bit better quality ;)

Davewriter
09-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Oh to think what Stanley Kubrick could have done with toys like this!

Dillon
09-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Can Premiere also edit immersive stereoscopic 360 sequences as well??

Is it possible to render out of immersive stereoscopic 360 UberCam and also edit that in premiere??

I just had a major realization. Wouldn't it be a matter of meta tagging a file to provide positional audio cues? With positional audio part of the dev kit, this would be a *huge* boondoggle. Imagine wearing a pair of headphones and audio reflecting which way you're facing/looking. It'd be surround sound on steroids. For both sound design artists, and musicians, this opens incredible new avenues for artistic expression. Hopefully Adobe (or someone smart) is looking into creating an audio plugin to provide this extra dimension to these 360 videos.

My imagination is running rampant with possibility. I haven't felt this excited in years.

And another question - is it possible to shoot 3D video/film (like a gopro 3D setup) and ingest that footage into LW for proper stereoscopic convergence within a LW scene? I imagine 2 image planes with the 2 video sources in layout with proper offset from each other in x axis would be the approach?

Dillon
09-13-2015, 09:04 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!

http://uploadvr.com/virtual-reality-plugins-for-programs-like-final-cut-pro-enable-you-to-make-live-action-vr-now/

and the beta is already available for download (Free trial!!)
http://www.dashwood3d.com/360vrtoolbox.php

I'm completely stunned. I had no idea that things had moved along in the VR editing space. I am dying to try this out but can't do anything about this until tomorrow. Anyone have a DK2, Mac, and stereoscopic 360 video they can test out this plugin? I have the DK2 and Mac, and will render out some ubercam to inject into this plugin tomorrow (packed scheduled today). Found a library of downloadable 360 3D video, too! http://www.panocam3d.com/video3d360.html#!portfolio/project-1.html

Dillon
09-13-2015, 10:33 AM
And in other news, I think I might have accidentally invented a VR recording/playback technique because of my obsessing about how to tie CG and video together in VR. Need to find technical savvy and trustworthy people ASAP!

ConjureBunny
09-13-2015, 11:11 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!

http://uploadvr.com/virtual-reality-plugins-for-programs-like-final-cut-pro-enable-you-to-make-live-action-vr-now/

and the beta is already available for download (Free trial!!)
http://www.dashwood3d.com/360vrtoolbox.php

I'm completely stunned. I had no idea that things had moved along in the VR editing space. I am dying to try this out but can't do anything about this until tomorrow. Anyone have a DK2, Mac, and stereoscopic 360 video they can test out this plugin? I have the DK2 and Mac, and will render out some ubercam to inject into this plugin tomorrow (packed scheduled today). Found a library of downloadable 360 3D video, too! http://www.panocam3d.com/video3d360.html#!portfolio/project-1.html

Holy cow this industry moves fast!

>Intro price for 360VR Toolbox $599.00

Dang it. I'm in the wrong racket again.

-Chilton

mummyman
09-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Here's one from me / Xvivo Test render with a few glitches.. but neat nonetheless

http://littlstar.com/videos/b2c4eb46

shrox
09-13-2015, 11:57 AM
This 15 frames a second thing is driving me crazy!

ConjureBunny
09-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Here's one from me / Xvivo Test render with a few glitches.. but neat nonetheless

http://littlstar.com/videos/b2c4eb46

This is really cool. I am used to taking this stuff for granted, but back when I was really into medical research I would've killed for visualizations like this. It makes things so much easier to understand than raw data.

-Chilton

mummyman
09-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Even with some artistic license, it's hard to understand sometimes! Haa..

robertoortiz
09-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Hey guys,
I love playing with this plugin( and I will share some 360 content soon.
But I am having some issues with youtube at work.
It is flattening the videos.
It does not do this at home. Any ideas what it could be?
(And yes, to sell this at work I HAVE to use youtube)
The machines are Windows 7 enterprise,
the error happens on IE 11 and Chrome.

Dillon
09-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Holy CRAP CRAP CRAP you guys. CRAP!!!!

I just rendered out a still stereo immersive camera from this Ubercam, and plopped it into the Dashwood 360BR plugin for Final Cut X.

My god. It's beautiful. Real, immersive 3D generated content for immediate consumption.

I'm in heaven!

Going to quickly throw together a more engaging scene to render out and upload to littlestar.

There is a ***HUGE*** difference between a regular 360 video, and a true stereo 360 video. It's a totally different experience.

I feel like I've stepped into a totally new world.

robertoortiz
09-14-2015, 12:43 PM

I just rendered out a still stereo immersive camera from this Ubercam, and plopped it into the Dashwood 360BR plugin for Final Cut X.

My god. It's beautiful. Real, immersive 3D generated content for immediate consumption.

I'm in heaven!

Going to quickly throw together a more engaging scene to render out and upload to littlestar.

There is a ***HUGE*** difference between a regular 360 video, and a true stereo 360 video. It's a totally different experience.

I can relate...

ConjureBunny
09-14-2015, 12:58 PM

I'm in heaven!

YES IT IS.

It's a freakin' awesome world.

Once you see stereo 360 in action, you're just not the same again :D

-Chilton

jeric_synergy
09-14-2015, 01:15 PM
Okay,okay.... are you viewing this on a headset or phone adaptor?

Dillon
09-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Oculus DK2! Real, true immersive VR coming outta Lightwave now!

Currently waiting for a quick animation I threw together with a moving volume light. The still looks awesome. Can't wait to see this in motion.

I can't believe how giddy I am :)

shrox
09-14-2015, 02:01 PM
So, how do we all make money with this?

I can make content, but I just can't get the sales. Who's good at that?

jeric_synergy
09-14-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking it's going to be the real estate market. That and architecture.

But Sales, yeah: I got into production to AVOID Sales.

shrox
09-14-2015, 03:18 PM
NewTek? Can you help us sell what we can now do?

robertoortiz
09-14-2015, 03:54 PM
Educational market.
This plug in combined with After Effects is a killer combo.

ConjureBunny
09-14-2015, 04:22 PM
Potential markets:
1) Games
2) Porn
3) Real Estate
4) Aircraft training without requiring a simulator, training on the road, etc.
5) Hospitals (helping people, especially kids 'not be there')
6) Anti-sea sickness. Okay I don't know if that's possible, but who knows.
7) Arch-vis
8) Training mechanics, or anyone who might need to see what goes where. This could apply to more than just a skilled trade.
9) Meditation
10) Helping overcome phobias (psych)
11) Telling stories
12) Helping kids overcome phobias (child psych)
13) Choose your own adventure stories could be done right now in Round.me
14) Medical visualization
15) Telepresence
16) instant training (think virtual instruction manuals)
17) Story telling (short movies, episodic adventures, everything)
18) accident / crime recreation (legal) -- proof that my client could not have possibly seen the ninja, and is therefore innocent.
19) history recreation for museums (put on this headset and see the primitive man try to get a date at a bar)
20) sports training (here's what the winning play looked like from the perspective of the QB)
21) all stages of planning for expensive events, from underwater excavations to special events.
22) Previs for Weddings. People spend tons trying to put on extravagant weddings. Imagine if you could offer previs services to a wedding planner.
23) some 23rd thing. I don't know. I'm sure there are more. Suggestion?

I'm trying to wrap my head around how to simplify creating content for spherical projection systems like in a planetarium. I'm sure there's a ton of unexplored space there, too.

-Chilton

shrox
09-14-2015, 05:05 PM
The potential is obvious, who can sell it?!

mummyman
09-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Just an updated 360, to fix an old blinking radiosity cache.. nothing fancy

http://littlstar.com/videos/f2e039e4

Markc
09-19-2015, 10:20 AM

I'm in heaven!

I was about to install the trial of this, but Chrome tells me it is a very 'dodgy' download and the site is renowned for Malware!
I have never had this before from any download.
Is FxFactory legit?

Markc
10-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Chilton, any sign of your list of software / apps you where going to create :D

Zerowaitstate
10-23-2015, 11:41 PM
I purchased the plug in and am using it for a submission to a local art gallery competition, i have manged to get the board to agree that a 360 stero pano delivered in an oculus rift is "digital media".

I will keep you posted on my progress, but secretly im pretty confident. there is $4000 up for grabs as main prize and 750 runner up in each division, I'll walk nude in Martin place if i dont at least win the digital division, i ll post a link to the final out put when done wish me luck.

jwiede
10-24-2015, 05:38 AM
Chilton, any word on the Mac viewer application/plugin?

ConjureBunny
10-24-2015, 08:16 AM
Chilton, any word on the Mac viewer application/plugin?

Absolutely. The next update is my main project for the weekend. This next version includes:

The Mac viewer for Oculus Rift
Optional stereoscopic convergence in the stereo immersive camera
Fixed 'seam' issue on stereo immersive camera
Android OS based viewer app
OSX standalone desktop viewer app
Windows standalone desktop viewer app
A few bug fixes

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
10-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Chilton, any sign of your list of software / apps you where going to create :D

Oh that big list at the top of the page was meant as a list of ideas for people who have time to pursue it. I'm still working off my list of unfinished stuff from about 8 years ago. There's never enough minutes in an hour. ;-)

-Chilton

Markc
10-24-2015, 12:09 PM
The list you originally mentioned isn't as relevant now, looking at the features in the next build......everything is there that we need for viewing content on/offline.
I can't wait.

jwiede
10-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Absolutely. The next update is my main project for the weekend. This next version includes:

The Mac viewer for Oculus Rift
Optional stereoscopic convergence in the stereo immersive camera
Fixed 'seam' issue on stereo immersive camera
Android OS based viewer app
OSX standalone desktop viewer app
Windows standalone desktop viewer app
A few bug fixes

Any sort of ETA as to when we can expect an update released with the above (and what the revision will be)?

ConjureBunny
10-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Any sort of ETA as to when we can expect an update released with the above (and what the revision will be)?

I'm riding that fine line between "this is crap, but I should ship it and fix it in the next version" and "oh right, this is still crap".

The Mac viewer for Oculus Rift is still not ready.

Stereoscopic convergence in the stereo immersive camera works but is giving me more of a seam than it should. And seriously, this is a mathematical seam that shouldn't exist in the first place.

The three viewers are pretty much ready to go, though I'd love to simplify the UI just a wee bit more, so you can use it entirely from a headset (or keyboard).

I'm going hour to hour at this point. A breakthrough on the seam will likely yield an immediate update because that's something I know is holding up a few people at the moment.

-Chilton

Zerowaitstate
11-03-2015, 06:15 PM

I hope all is coming on well any chance at access tot he PC stereo viewer, im looking for a standalone app i can use to display the stereo video, currently using virtual desktop on the DK2 rift but it has no loop function and the inter face pops as soon As you move the mouse

ConjureBunny
11-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Hi,

Yep, that's on the table as well. Jweide and I and a handful of other people are Mac users, but I think the majority of Ubercam users are on a PC.

It's frustrating that there aren't better solutions for all of this stuff already out there. So um... guess it's time we make our own :)

-Chilton

DCjr
11-10-2015, 05:52 PM
I have both systems to choose from. I am a Mac user, and have bootcamp with 8.1.
But I have a Mac Book Pro - laptops are not officially supported by Occulus.
So what to do with my DK2? I know I need to use the Occulus Config tool - but I understand that in later builds Occulus removed the ability to run in extended desktop.
Which version of the drivers are you all using in a windows env? The only reason I need to use windows is to use the Rift with Ubercam in real-time.
I might need to get a PC that is Occulus Ready!

Markc
11-11-2015, 12:00 PM
You say laptops are not supported, neither is Mac OS (as far as Oculus is concerned), but it does work.
AFAIK the PC build of Ubercam has the Rift Viewer which displays onto your Oculus Rift (I am waiting patiently for Chilton to make this work on the Mac).

DCjr
11-11-2015, 03:28 PM
What kind of Mac are you using?
Apparently, Occulus does not officially recommend laptops because of the general design of graphics cards and how they are used on laptops. I don't know the technical reason, but that is laymen speak.
I wanted to run my Mac Book Pro Retina Early 2013 with Windows, but could not get the Rift to display properly. The tech demo ran on my bootcamp win 8.1 setup, but I had to update the Nvidia drivers - so I did. The Rift video signal went from sketchy to nothing.
So Im considering getting a PC (the system recommended by Occulus Story Studio).
Cant wait to see the stereoscopic immersi

shrox
11-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Hi,

Yep, that's on the table as well. Jweide and I and a handful of other people are Mac users, but I think the majority of Ubercam users are on a PC.

It's frustrating that there aren't better solutions for all of this stuff already out there. So um... guess it's time we make our own :)

-Chilton

Yes.

Zerowaitstate
11-12-2015, 03:04 AM
Doop , so looks like i need to trip round Martin Place in the nick.

My entry in the art Gallery got a distinction, but no cold hard cash. The biggest challenge was to get punters who were looking at painting on the wall, to stop and have a HMD strapped to their heads, to see what was in VR (no mirror feature in liverift). Its hard to know if the judges manage to self administer the experience. On the upside i think i might be the only entrant tha that the local newspaper wants to set up an interview with

i end up looping an uncompressed 1920 x 1080 AVI with liverift 3.1 and winamp looping a sound track. Problem is all the pretty volume metric lighting seemed to be stripped out of the vision ( even thought it is quite visible in VLC etc)

....Moving on i have committed to uploading the experience to you tube i am not clear on what method i should be using to get to something that will upload with audio do i add the audio in Lightwave and save quicklime 4098 x 4098 no stereo MP4 quality best or dump into Adobe Cs6 suite and use premier to add audio and encode ??

Any help on the specifics would be greatly appreciated, i will of course upload the final thing once rendered.

cheers all

wesleycorgi
11-12-2015, 03:55 AM
Apparently, Occulus does not officially recommend laptops because of the general design of graphics cards and how they are used on laptops.
My son got an Occ DK2 for Xmas last year from his grandma. We set it up on my old Mac Tower (I think it is a 2009) with OS X Mavericks. It ran fine with the stock Nvidia card of its time. But he mostly ran it on the bootcamped Win 7 partition because there is more content for Win.

I have a 2013 MB Pro Retina that has much better tech specs than this old workhorse. I will have to set up the software on this laptop. But I have to tell you, if you already have an Android or iOS compatible phone and a $15 Carboard kit, it is a much cheaper route for similar immersive content.

jeric_synergy
11-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Here's my first(-ish) attempt at using the Ubercam: nothing really happens, but there it is.

No headset yet, and I find the desktop Google/YouTube controls really tough to use. Building Cardboard soon* (got the lenses!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2lLDTJtwHo

*need a more advanced phone, apparently. :cry:

Markc
11-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Apparently, Occulus does not officially recommend laptops because of the general design of graphics cards and how they are used on laptops. I don't know the technical reason, but that is laymen speak.
I wanted to run my Mac Book Pro Retina Early 2013 with Windows, but could not get the Rift to display properly. The tech demo ran on my bootcamp win 8.1 setup, but I had to update the Nvidia drivers - so I did. The Rift video signal went from sketchy to nothing.
So Im considering getting a PC (the system recommended by Occulus Story Studio).
Cant wait to see the stereoscopic immersi

Mac Pro
It's not very useable on the Mac though at the minute, without the Rift viewer, you have to mirror your display to view, which is a bit annoying.

ConjureBunny
11-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Mac Pro
It's not very useable on the Mac though at the minute, without the Rift viewer, you have to mirror your display to view, which is a bit annoying.

This will be addressed soon. I really, really hate what Oculus did to Mac users here.

I'm going to have to split the source code off in two directions for this, so the PC users will have the latest, direct-to-device code, and Mac users will have the "second monitor" mode. But it should work.

-Chilton

DCjr
11-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Heres a virtual high five!

mummyman
11-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Here's my first(-ish) attempt at using the Ubercam: nothing really happens, but there it is.

No headset yet, and I find the desktop Google/YouTube controls really tough to use. Building Cardboard soon* (got the lenses!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2lLDTJtwHo

*need a more advanced phone, apparently. :cry:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I know... I have test only to share... but do it anyway.. still fun to view.

Markc
12-10-2015, 12:10 PM
This will be addressed soon. I really, really hate what Oculus did to Mac users here.

I'm going to have to split the source code off in two directions for this, so the PC users will have the latest, direct-to-device code, and Mac users will have the "second monitor" mode. But it should work.

-Chilton

Hi, Chilton,

I know your concentrating on Unity stuff at present.
Did you get anywhere with the Mac Viewer (even a Beta) :bowdown:

ConjureBunny
12-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Oh it's all tied together. The Unity stuff is fun, rather mindless work. I've been doing it for awhile.

The Mac viewer and other Ubercam stuff is lower level programming and making things work together that weren't designed to work together. So I spend my days about half and half. The Ubercam Viewer app is written in Unity.

The Mac viewer is still on deck for a release soon. I've heard some people are having problems with El Capitan and Oculus Rift DK2, but it seems to be okay here. Now, I don't have a DK1, so I have no idea if this stuff will work there, but I'm hoping it will.

-Chilton

Markc
01-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Well I have finally found a way to view my 360 images and animations locally (not online) with my Rift.
Kolor Eyes (a free viewer) works fantastic, just drop image/animation/video into the interface and it's displayed on my Rift independently (no mirroring or that sort of rubbish required) ........yaaaayyyyy :boogiedow
Time to start rendering with Ubercam now.

jeric_synergy
01-18-2016, 11:02 AM
Guys, do you know if it's possible to mock up, or even create, a VR app that will use hand controllers when your system doesn't actually HAVE hand controllers?

That is, is there any facility for using the mouse to emulate/stand-in for actual hand controllers while one prototypes an app?

Tnx.

DCjr
01-19-2016, 01:21 AM
Hi Markc
Thats great to hear. I have a Mac Pro 2013. Did you have to futz with graphics drivers to get your Rift to run?
I'm still not able to run it since I have no PC.

Markc
01-19-2016, 11:54 AM
No PC required (I don't own one), I havn't had to mess with any graphics settings.
OSX runtime from Oculus site installed.
Rift connected to an ATI 5770 dvi port (using hdmi adapter).
360 image rendered in Ubercam, dropped into Kolor Eyes.
With the Rift turned on, open Kolor Eyes, it will detect 'Oculus' and need to be reopened.
You can than view the image on the Rift (you will see it move also on the screen as you move the Headset around in real time)

DCjr
01-19-2016, 07:23 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!

what do you mean by
OSX runtime from Oculus site installed.?

Wooohoo!

Zerowaitstate
01-19-2016, 07:41 PM
Guys, do you know if it's possible to mock up, or even create, a VR app that will use hand controllers when your system doesn't actually HAVE hand controllers?

That is, is there any facility for using the mouse to emulate/stand-in for actual hand controllers while one prototypes an app?

Tnx.

you could use some thing like the leap / hydra controller plugins in unity / unreal to model interactions in 3d space as a proxy. then when the desired controllers become available mod you code.

as far as i know there is no way to make a mouse emulate 6 DOF.

leap is cheap solution and has improved a lot over the 1st releases. Still leave s a bit to be desired though

jwiede
01-19-2016, 08:06 PM
leap is cheap solution and has improved a lot over the 1st releases. Still leave s a bit to be desired though

Realistically, for anyone doing hobbyist-level VR/AR development, the Leap controller is a pretty darned cost-effective solution all told. It can (effectively) do both absolute & relative positioning, it can do 6/4/2 DOF input, and even (some) hand-form recognition. That's decent value-for-cost (IMO), even holds up versus the other 6DOF wireless options.

Markc
01-20-2016, 12:03 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!

what do you mean by
OSX runtime from Oculus site installed.?

Wooohoo!

If you have an Oculus Rift, the install guide that comes with it shows this step.
You need the software installed to use it.
Here is the link:

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/

No wonder you where struggling :D

ConjureBunny
01-20-2016, 12:48 PM
BTW I figured out all of the issues in Stereoscopic Immersive camera, and we're packing up a new version of the plugin for OSX and Windows right now. Registered users will get an email about the update as soon as it's available.

I haven't had a chance to finish the runtime Mac head tracking for the Oculus Rift, but that's high on the priority list.

Soon we'll be releasing a few additional freebies to help everyone with the VR pipeline. These include a standalone desktop viewer app, an Android Cardboard based viewer, and a video showing the pipeline for testing on GearVR with Android.

Wild, fun times :)

Also, I don't want to make any wild claims about how much better OUR stereo immersive solution is, compared to everything else in the industry, but I personally think we might have an automatic, unique, really awesome trick in this new version. More on that later.

-Chilton

mummyman
01-20-2016, 01:10 PM
Make the claims!!! Who cares!!!!

ConjureBunny
01-20-2016, 04:06 PM
Make the claims!!! Who cares!!!!

It's one of those subtle things that I suspect no one else has bothered to implement. I just don't want to scream too loudly yet, until we have fully shipped this next version, and compared its resulting footage to our competitors' offerings.

Then? If we do really have a superior product, I won't shut up about it. :)

-Chilton

Paul Brunson
01-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Sweet looking forward to the new update! Been having fun playing with my gear vr and lw with Ubercam's spherical immersive cam.

shrox
01-20-2016, 06:19 PM
I've been testing it. OK so far, but the first renders were...interesting.

kopperdrake
01-21-2016, 02:11 AM
BTW I figured out all of the issues in Stereoscopic Immersive camera, and we're packing up a new version of the plugin for OSX and Windows right now. Registered users will get an email about the update as soon as it's available.

So Chilton, should I hold off on rendering out a sequence for Occulus Rift viewing until the new version comes out? I'm talking pre-rendered rather than Unity stuff.

shrox
01-21-2016, 02:13 AM
So Chilton, should I hold off on rendering out a sequence for Occulus Rift viewing until the new version comes out? I'm talking pre-rendered rather than Unity stuff.

Yes. I found a serious bug.

ConjureBunny
01-21-2016, 08:57 AM

Yes, the new version will be out soon that is massively better than what you have at the moment. By soon, I expect it to be in beta testers' hands today, and I don't anticipate finding much else. Shrox found a rotation bug that I didn't notice, but aside from that it should be pretty smooth sailing.

-Chilton

Zerowaitstate
01-24-2016, 05:30 AM
Yes, the new version will be out soon that is massively better than what you have at the moment. By soon, I expect it to be in beta testers' hands today, and I don't anticipate finding much else. Shrox found a rotation bug that I didn't notice, but aside from that it should be pretty smooth sailing.

-Chilton

sounds good, i have been keen to expand on use of the your plugin. Hopefull sdk 1.0 should be realesed RSN and give you a fixed target to code from

Markc
01-24-2016, 08:19 AM
Chilton, not sure if this is a bug.
The L3D Immersive Camera (2D) doesn't seem to represent scale properly.
I have a box environment which is 200m square with a 10m grid on the floor, when rendered and viewed on screen or in HMD each grid only appears about 0.5m in size from the POV (which is central), and you can almost touch the walls!

Edit: Also the Chrome ball is 20m diameter (which seems to tie in with the grid) and 70m from the blue wall.
Does it need a Zoom Factor/Focal Length control?

SteveH
01-24-2016, 10:42 AM
I have a question as well Chilton. Hopefully an easy one. Is there a best practices as far as how far away a key element should be from the camera? I did a series of shots of a model I did for work and the camera is placed consistently at 6' high. On a shot that is basically 50 feet away from the main objects - everything looks fine. On a shot where I have a person standing 5 feet away from the camera - it warps the image so that it looks like the camera is higher than 6' and/or the person is too small. Hopefully that description made sense. So my question is should you try to make each shot where the camera is placed at a specific distance from your main focal point - is that the best way to go? This was with the immersive camera. I was able to view it on my Gear VR - frikkin awesome! ;-)

DCjr
01-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Thanks you!

:)

If you have an Oculus Rift, the install guide that comes with it shows this step.
You need the software installed to use it.
Here is the link:

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/

No wonder you where struggling :D

kopperdrake
01-25-2016, 04:10 AM

-Chilton

Cool - I've given the client a couple of examples using your plugin - they're keen to see the Occulus Rift version:

Bear in mind these are just quick examples:

https://round.me/tour/19185/view/

https://youtu.be/l4axsSwU-zk

Markc
01-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Latest update (2.1) doesn't install on Mac :confused:

ConjureBunny
01-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Hmm?

Like, no Mac files were in the zip?

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
01-25-2016, 05:23 PM
It's entirely possible this was a mistake in our production pipeline, as this is (as always) created on a Mac. We'll get an updated version up there immediately.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
01-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Is there a best practices as far as how far away a key element should be from the camera? I did a series of shots of a model I did for work and the camera is placed consistently at 6' high.

If you're using v2.1, which you might not be yet (I think we just released it today), there's an entirely new algorithm for stereo panoramas that makes it much nicer, and a convergence point setting so you can configure the distance the user's eyes are 'at rest'. Between the convergence point and the interpupillary distance settings, you can create a much better feeling than you could with the previous version. Please try that, and if it still isn't to your liking, let me know!

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
01-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Hi Markc,

Chilton, not sure if this is a bug.
The L3D Immersive Camera (2D) doesn't seem to represent scale properly.
I have a box environment which is 200m square with a 10m grid on the floor, when rendered and viewed on screen or in HMD each grid only appears about 0.5m in size from the POV (which is central), and you can almost touch the walls!

Edit: Also the Chrome ball is 20m diameter (which seems to tie in with the grid) and 70m from the blue wall.
Does it need a Zoom Factor/Focal Length control?

Check the new version out and let me know if that works.

And that problem with the new one was a package issue. Somehow either zip or rar created a duplicate folder with the same name and stuck the plugin in that, inside itself. It was weird. Anyway, download it again and it should work fine.

-Chilton

calilifestyle
01-25-2016, 06:16 PM
rendering out a single Immersive image. What format will i have to save it out, to get that 360 thing going.

ConjureBunny
01-25-2016, 07:57 PM
rendering out a single Immersive image. What format will i have to save it out, to get that 360 thing going.

If you use something like round.me, it just has to be 2:1. JPEG, I think, is what they ask for.

If you want to do this as a panoramic movie, this video covers it:

If you're using the Liberty3D UberViewer (warning: beta as hell), any format will work.
http://72.190.135.63/uberviewer/

...aaaaand if I totally misunderstood your question, please let me know ;-)

-Chilton

calilifestyle
01-25-2016, 09:36 PM
sweet thanks

SteveH
01-26-2016, 08:34 AM
I'll be the first to admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed....so bear with me. If the immersive monoscopic camera gives you a 360 degree render - and you can view it on Gear VR - what does the stereoscopic Immersive camera do for you that the monoscopic doesn't?

OnlineRender
01-26-2016, 09:07 AM
I tried the 360 stereo , seems to be working great now , thanks Chilton awesome work...

also as I side note , maybe add a suggested *guideline* render size in a text field underneath? , I keep forgetting :)

Markc
01-26-2016, 11:43 AM

Alternatively to Chilton's reply there is also Kolor Eyes.
It accepts most image formats and mov's.

Markc
01-26-2016, 11:49 AM
I'll be the first to admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed....so bear with me. If the immersive monoscopic camera gives you a 360 degree render - and you can view it on Gear VR - what does the stereoscopic Immersive camera do for you that the monoscopic doesn't?

TBH, I just did a test, and the 2D looks better than the 3D on Oculus Rift (for a still).
I think maybe if there is animation that is where you will see the difference.

ConjureBunny
01-26-2016, 12:06 PM
I tried the 360 stereo , seems to be working great now , thanks Chilton awesome work...

also as I side note , maybe add a suggested *guideline* render size in a text field underneath? , I keep forgetting :)

Got it! Great idea.

ConjureBunny
01-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Great question. The short answer is that the stereoscopic immersive gives you depth.

So let's say you render a room with chairs and a table and stuff on the wall. In the stereo version, the chairs and table will appear in stereo, in front of the stuff on the wall. It feels 'more immersive'. More like looking around a room at stuff.

-Chilton

Markc
01-26-2016, 12:15 PM
Chilton, the new download works fine now, thanks :thumbsup:
ps, that uberviewer you mentioned in beta, will that support HMD's?

ConjureBunny
01-26-2016, 12:43 PM
Yes Markc, not yet, but very very soon.

The current one at that url is for Android based Cardboard solutions.
I'm working on coming up with a pipeline for GearVR, and I'll put it in the store once I figure that out. The goal here is to create a tool that will help people test and show off Ubercam content.

There's a desktop version I haven't posted yet (that I recall), which will work with HMDs. Currently only Oculus Rift is supported (Mac and Windows), along with just click and drag around on the desktop with a mouse, and as soon as I have some bugs ironed out I'll post links for it.

-Chilton

SteveH
01-26-2016, 05:43 PM
I just put the rendered still images on my phone in the Oculus/360photos folder and they show up just fine. Animations you drop in the Oculus/360videos folder. I hope that helps a little Chilton.

ConjureBunny
01-26-2016, 06:52 PM
SteveH, thanks for pointing that out. Oculus did a great job of making that app, and making it work easily. I am putting together a video that shows the workflow from LW into GearVR, and that's absolutely one of the steps.

BTW, if you have a Note 4, here's my video explaining how to modify an off-the-shelf GearVR to fit it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlX_vdC9Zl0

Now, the main goals for the Uberviewer are...
1) Simplify the pipeline for testing rendered content in VR. Ultimately I'd like to be able to render straight from LW to the device, though that might be complicated. Barring that, I want to make an automated system for loading content onto the GearVR or any headset, so you just render to a folder and *blam*, it's on the headset. On Windows you can mount the file system for Android directly on your machine, but I keep getting permissions errors. If I can figure that out though, that's perfect.

2) Make the user look good. Give them something they can hand to a client / potential client / person at a tradeshow / relative / whoever, and the wearer is instantly 'there' without telling them to go here and click here and then go here, etc. Last week a client took the Uberviewer desktop version with them to a trade show--I need to find out how that went. I know they were psyched to have a viewer that wasn't branded with some generic third party website. So that's going to be one feature--the ability to brand it to your own company name, so you can 'own' the thing you're showing off.

3) Work for every platform, from Oculus Rift, to GearVR and Google Cardboard, HTC Vive, etc.

-Chilton

SteveH
01-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Oh wow Chilton - I JUST watched that video earlier today. My brother has a Note 4 and I told him I found a way he could use it with the Gear VR. Even though I saw your name - I didn't connect it to you.

The one thing I'm finding doing 360 images is you have to be very vigilant that everything looks good in all 360 degreees for each shot. It's way more modeling that I'm used to doing for a typical engineering shot.

spherical
01-27-2016, 02:01 AM
Ultimately I'd like to be able to render straight from LW to the device, though that might be complicated.

Agreed; as outlined here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149584-Ubercam-and-the-Future-of-VR&p=1463768&viewfull=1#post1463768

SteveH
01-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Chilton - After your great explanation of the differences between immersive camera and the stereoscopic immersive camera - I decided to give the stereoscopic a try. Attached is a screen capture of what I'm seeing as it renders. I assumed that the two images would be side by side. Is this up/down render indeed what I should be getting?

ConjureBunny
01-28-2016, 01:19 PM
That's correct.

up/down is the standard at the moment. Render a square. 4096x4096, for example.

There was a hardware requirement for this earlier, where a square was faster for hardware to render than a long horizontal image. I have no idea if that's true anymore. But as far as I know, on the playback side, the preference is top/bottom.

-Chilton

SteveH
01-28-2016, 02:35 PM
I put these in the same folder as before - Oculus/360 photos but when viewed on Gear VR - they show just like the render - both images up/down. Do you have to do something special to the renders to tell Gear VR that they should display stereoscopically?

ConjureBunny
01-28-2016, 03:30 PM
If it's a square it should be detected as a top/bottom image automatically. It does that on my gearvr here at least.

SteveH
01-28-2016, 03:33 PM
It's not square for sure. It's the same 2:1 as I used for the immersive camera.
Presently it's 4096x2048.
So..your are saying if I made it 2048x2048 it would probably work correctly?

I just rerendered at 2048x2048 - and yep you were right (as usual) it works now. The 3D depth in the stereo camera is pretty subtle though. I'll play with the settings to see if that makes a huge difference.

Paul Brunson
01-28-2016, 06:41 PM
How should we be using the convergence on stereo 360 renders? I read the updated ubercam manual, recommending setting convergence to the nearest object.

But I've also read through various searches that convergence on a 360 stereo image is unnecessary and causes increased nausea. They're debating it over here on the oculus forum: https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=281

Which is it? Some of the arguments about the eyes doing the convergence for themselves in an immersive scene does seem too make sense. In which case we'd always want convergence set to infinity. (I'm guessing a value of 0 might give an infinite convergence in ubercam?)

ConjureBunny
01-28-2016, 08:15 PM
How should we be using the convergence on stereo 360 renders? I read the updated ubercam manual, recommending setting convergence to the nearest object.

But I've also read through various searches that convergence on a 360 stereo image is unnecessary and causes increased nausea. They're debating it over here on the oculus forum: https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=281

Which is it? Some of the arguments about the eyes doing the convergence for themselves in an immersive scene does seem too make sense. In which case we'd always want convergence set to infinity. (I'm guessing a value of 0 might give an infinite convergence in ubercam?)

This gets um... complicated. You can stop reading now, if you want, since this strays dangerously close to one of my weird ranty hot button issues (vision and lenses).

......... you've been warned ......

Now, Kelly and I have had different experiences here, so I want to preface this with "trust no one, decide for yourself".
And he wrote the manual, and suggests placing it on the nearest object. And his experience is in film. My experience has nothing at all to do with film.

My only relevant background is human visual analysis for optometry, and to me it makes sense to set it to the normal resting distance for human vision, which doesn't happen until after 9m. (http://neuroscience.uth.tmc.edu/s2/chapter14.html) Personally, I prefer 30m for outside shots and most VR stuff. I set it to 30m because I am belligerent like that, and because we didn't discuss it until after we started shipping.

To me, if you set it to the closest object, that would mean that the eyes at rest would focus on the closest object. The eyes aren't really designed to vector outward at the same time. They can, but it's unnatural. So to me, it seems like setting it to the closest object, especially one a meter away, would mean your eyes would have to bow outward to focus on anything else. That sounds uncomfortable.

So... do whatever makes you feel good. Human vision is nasty complicated business. The GearVR assumes both eyes are constantly focused evenly in concert, and that pretty much never happens. Your dominant eye focuses to bring objects into relief, while your non-dominant eye focuses to judge distance. Neither can operate naturally in a lensed VR system, so who the hell knows.

I built a head tracking system and a eye centering system for MergeVR over the summer, and what I learned there and from talking to the GearVR guys is that these aren't being designed by vision specialists, and no one is about to build a system that works with vision properly. It isn't even possible at this time. The fact that you're looking through a lens at a focused object is already a strike.

That said, I am open to suggestions regarding how to properly test this. We can't make it perfect, but maybe we can make it *better*. I might have to set up some kind of examples at different distances and ask people for feedback. Any other suggestions?

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
01-28-2016, 08:18 PM
It's not square for sure. It's the same 2:1 as I used for the immersive camera.
Presently it's 4096x2048.
So..your are saying if I made it 2048x2048 it would probably work correctly?

I just rerendered at 2048x2048 - and yep you were right (as usual) it works now. The 3D depth in the stereo camera is pretty subtle though. I'll play with the settings to see if that makes a huge difference.

I am right due to immense wisdom*.

*wisdom from repeated abject failure

Try setting the convergence point to 9m and let me know how that goes. See above rant for more detail.

If that doesn't do the trick, set it even lower.

-Chilton

Paul Brunson
01-29-2016, 02:30 PM
Putting up various scenes and asking people which feel right might be a start. Although it will probably be hard to get a large enough group to participate to get actionable info.

I've been flipping back and forth between the same render with 5m convergence and one with 30m convergence. The difference is very subtle to me; hard to pin down. Honestly the only effect I noticed was for the first time when taking the gear vr off my eyes seemed to take a moment to adjust back to the real world. Perhaps related to the 5m being less than the relaxed eye distance?

I'm rendering a still scene twice right now, 1 with a slow steady changing convergence. Another with the convergence changing in 1 second steps. Hoping to come to some sort of personal conclusion on the matter at least (And hopefully not a headache. I'm not prone to having issue with VR like some do. But a constantly changing convergence seems like it might be a "workout".)

spherical
01-29-2016, 05:42 PM
Am I to understand that we have to ask for a new key for v2.1?

shrox
01-29-2016, 06:04 PM
Am I to understand that we have to ask for a new key for v2.1?

I will ask nicely.

spherical
01-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Huh?

ConjureBunny
01-29-2016, 09:14 PM
I don't think that changed, is your current key not working?

-Chilton

spherical
01-29-2016, 09:41 PM
Well, uncharacteristic for me, :D I was reading the manual PDF after updating the plugs across my many version installations and it said on page 4 under Key Activation:

Keys issued from versions prior to UberCam 2.1 will not work. A new key must be issued.

So, I took that at face value and, rather than risk any odd corruption issues, haven't even started any of the Layout versions since. Went ahead and emailed Kat and requested an updated key, especially after the first response I got here.

shrox
01-29-2016, 10:39 PM
....especially after the first response I got here.

I'd been bugging Chilton about it so much I became a beta tester.

ConjureBunny
01-30-2016, 04:47 PM
Well, uncharacteristic for me, :D I was reading the manual PDF after updating the plugs across my many version installations and it said on page 4 under Key Activation:

So, I took that at face value and, rather than risk any odd corruption issues, haven't even started any of the Layout versions since. Went ahead and emailed Kat and requested an updated key, especially after the first response I got here.

It's a typo, and will be corrected. It was supposed to mean in reference to the earlier (1.x) version of Ubercam.

-Chilton

Markc
01-31-2016, 09:01 AM
Latest build of Ubercam (2.1).
Both renders are 1920x1080, the 2D version works fine, the 3D version seems to add an extra two walls to my four walled box (there should only be one of each colour cube and five spheres)!
Is there something different I should be doing with the 3D Immersive camera (I tried doubling the width)?

ConjureBunny
01-31-2016, 09:35 AM
Hi,

Patient: "Doc, when I do this, it hurts."
Doctor: "Don't do that."

-------

Interesting! That's definitely a flat out mistake on my part, and I'll get that fixed soon.

However, the 3D one needs to be a perfect square to be rendered right and efficiently by playback software. So try 1920x1920. It should render correctly then.

The 2D one should be 2:1 ratio. So 1920 x 960 for that.

Try those and see how it flies.

-Chilton

spherical
01-31-2016, 07:18 PM
It's a typo, and will be corrected. It was supposed to mean in reference to the earlier (1.x) version of Ubercam.

Thanks, Chilton.

Got it running. While you're in there, might want to update the URL for VS C++ 2015 Redistributable.

However, I may have found the source of Layout crashing. 32-bit, all versions tried, seem to work as expected. 64-bit, however, after selecting any of the UberCams, whether I go back to a native camera or not, upon closing Layout get a "LightWave has stopped working" error. It shows up right when the Exit dialogue usually appears. Happens in both 2015.3 and 2015.2. 11.6.2 crashes upon exit, except the Exit dialogue shows up first; then the above error after Exit is chosen. Fresh install of VS C++ 2015 64-bit, BTW.

Deleting the plugin directory and restarting, Layout closes as expected.
Leaving the plugin installed and never choosing any of the UberCams, Layout closes as expected.
Starting with a native camera, selecting a UberCam and returning to any native camera does not clear the problem. As long as a UberCam is accessed any time in the session, even if it is not rendered with, Layout crashes upon closing.

Here's the error in the log: (same error in 2015.2 and 11.6.2, except for the path pointing to its location)
Faulting application name: Layout.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x55c531d7
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18185, time stamp: 0x5683f0c5
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f1320
Faulting process id: 0x5d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d15c904e688a7b
Faulting application path: D:\Apps\3D\Lightwave\2015.3\bin\Layout.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 13e4f4c5-c885-11e5-8356-94dbc90d482a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

SteveH
02-01-2016, 01:23 PM
I did a test with the convergence going from 1 meter to 35 meters. To be honest - I don't see much of a difference.
They are all 4 or 5 meg files so I can't attached all of them to this post - but I've attached three. I can put them all up if anyone thinks it would be informative?

One thing I did notice though - the seam where I guess it meets itself is really off. Turn 90 degrees to the left and the seam is very visible. Is this normal? Certainly I could have done something el wrongo too....

spherical
02-01-2016, 03:51 PM
However, I may have found the source of Layout crashing. 32-bit, all versions tried, seem to work as expected. 64-bit, however, after selecting any of the UberCams, whether I go back to a native camera or not, upon closing Layout get a "LightWave has stopped working" error. It shows up right when the Exit dialogue usually appears. Happens in both 2015.3 and 2015.2. 11.6.2 crashes upon exit, except the Exit dialogue shows up first; then the above error after Exit is chosen. Fresh install of VS C++ 2015 64-bit, BTW.

Deleting the plugin directory and restarting, Layout closes as expected.
Leaving the plugin installed and never choosing any of the UberCams, Layout closes as expected.
Starting with a native camera, selecting a UberCam and returning to any native camera does not clear the problem. As long as a UberCam is accessed any time in the session, even if it is not rendered with, Layout crashes upon closing.

OK. Further testing today revealed a possible pointer. Decided to nuke all 3rd-party plugins to see if there was a conflict. Nothing changed, except the crash happened immediately, AS a UberCam was selected, instead of after closing Layout. This led me to look at other factors. I restored all of the previous plugins and the prior crash pattern returned.

It was in looking at anything else that I noticed that the UberCam Properties dialogue was appearing along with all of the other LightWave panels on my second monitor. Couldn't move the dialogue while the error was showing (crash.. hellooo), so reopened Layout selected Real Lens Camera, which has a properties panel, and moved it to the primary monitor. Selected Advanced Camera to certify that all of them would now show on the primary. It did. Closed Layout to write the configs. Reopened, Selected UberCam Perspective, dialogue appeared on primary monitor and NO CRASH! As long as the Properties dialogue shows on the primary monitor, no problem so far. Displaying on the Extended Desktop is the issue. Bet that one is going to be hard to track down... WTF would THAT have to do with anything!?

Now, if others are running a similar set up and have no issues, it may have to do with my monitors being a 4K/2K pair. That doesn't ring true either but.....

shrox
02-01-2016, 04:19 PM
...crash pattern returned......

I get crashes with UC quite a bit upon exiting, or making adjustments while the camera is set to UC. I thought it was just my crappy Dell.

spherical
02-01-2016, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the confirm. Further testing revealed this:

My partner/SO, after hearing what I had found, asked if windowing the main Layout screen and dragging it across to the secondary monitor under the Surface Editor, Camera and Scene Editor panels would float the boat, as it were. Tried that with the UberCam Properties on the secondary monitor and no crash. WTF, again? Then tried a series of restarts, each time with different locations of the UberCam Properties panel and varying sizes of the main Layout screen. If I dragged the main screen only a minimal distance onto the secondary, upon restart it would re-size itself to the boundaries of the primary monitor; as if it were maximized, but not. Hmmm, not exactly obeying what I want but oh well. But, with it windowed and confined to the primary, selecting a UberCam then operated normally, no matter which monitor the UberCam Properties panel displayed on. Maximized Layout screen is the trigger. Uhhhh, what?

Now, it gets really weird; as if that wasn't weird enough. I'm testing this with three versions: 2015.1, 2015.2, 2015.3. Once 2015.1 worked, as above, ALL of the others worked as well. Open, select a UberCam, move a camera (or not) so the Exit dialogue would show upon close, and Layout would exit gracefully. Every one of them, whether or not the main Layout window was windowed or maximized. The problem just disappeared across all versions. Something must be being globally reset by windowing that one screen and opening the UberCam Properties. Restart the machine, however, and the issue returns as before. All crash unless I window one of them first and then only when the UberCam Properties is on the secondary monitor. That's about the oddest thing I have ever seen and I've been troubleshooting systems for a long time.

Markc
02-02-2016, 11:39 AM
I did a test with the convergence going from 1 meter to 35 meters. To be honest - I don't see much of a difference.
They are all 4 or 5 meg files so I can't attached all of them to this post - but I've attached three. I can put them all up if anyone thinks it would be informative?

One thing I did notice though - the seam where I guess it meets itself is really off. Turn 90 degrees to the left and the seam is very visible. Is this normal? Certainly I could have done something el wrongo too....

Don't know much about the convergence settings, but I was having a problem with the seam being visible.
(I need to make some tweaks and try again).
I notice in your images the tall 'thingy' at the end of the covered area is on both ends of the image, this isn't right, which is why your seeing a visible seam.

Have you tried it with the 2D immersive to see if the seam disappears?

ConjureBunny
02-02-2016, 12:01 PM
New version soon (today?) with a convergence marker and a fix for a number of other things. That'll probably fix any seams you see in there.

-Chilton

Markc
02-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Hi,

Patient: "Doc, when I do this, it hurts."
Doctor: "Don't do that."

-------

Interesting! That's definitely a flat out mistake on my part, and I'll get that fixed soon.

However, the 3D one needs to be a perfect square to be rendered right and efficiently by playback software. So try 1920x1920. It should render correctly then.

The 2D one should be 2:1 ratio. So 1920 x 960 for that.

Try those and see how it flies.

-Chilton

Just had a play with the 3D immersive camera.
1920x1920 renders only four walls, but there is still a small extra bit one side.
I started playing with the Aspect (1.0) and Frame (0.5079"), is the Frame value relevant?

Zerowaitstate
02-07-2016, 08:21 PM
forgive my ignorance, how do we get rid of old version before applying the new plugin again ..... its beeen a long time.

Markc
02-08-2016, 11:51 AM
Just delete plugins from folder and replace with the new version :)

jeric_synergy
02-08-2016, 11:53 AM
forgive my ignorance, how do we get rid of old version before applying the new plugin again ..... its beeen a long time.
IF you can find/locate it, you can:

erase the file, or
zip the old file, then erase.

It's important to get rid of the file (as a plugin/script), otherwise it MIGHT conflict with newer versions (now, doesn't that imply some feature requests?). By ZIPPING it (or equivalent) you prevent it from being loaded as a plugin/script, but can keep it around in case of new bugs. Of course, give it a good, obvious name so you know which is which.

Plugins file locations can be located thru the Plugin Editor.

Zerowaitstate
02-09-2016, 02:55 PM
IF you can find/locate it, you can:

erase the file, or
zip the old file, then erase.

It's important to get rid of the file (as a plugin/script), otherwise it MIGHT conflict with newer versions (now, doesn't that imply some feature requests?). By ZIPPING it (or equivalent) you prevent it from being loaded as a plugin/script, but can keep it around in case of new bugs. Of course, give it a good, obvious name so you know which is which.

Plugins file locations can be located thru the Plugin Editor.

Yeah i manage to confuse my self (easily done) as i had moved folder from download to archive location. and then went looking to uninstall the old version (effectively done already , 1st time round i had added from the Downloads folder so it had removed its self, and i could find no trace or reference to is thus my confusion.

This time around i created folder in the plugins folder and installed from there.

This time around i have found it much more stable, although haven't mange to get the feedback via studio sorted out yet. (this was previously leaking memory badly, i am hoping this is resolved as i see this as being really helpful

jeric_synergy
02-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Plugins: some people don't recommend this method, but I keep a "3rd_Party_Plugins" folder outside the "LW20NN.n" structure, inside the Newtek folder, and just point all LWs there. When LW was getting updated so frequently, this made some sense, FWIW. Some people think this might cause versioning issues, but so far, so good.

(I also keep a "3rd_Party_Scripts" folder, but that's just a personal peculiarity. Functionally identical.)

My DOWNLOADS folder is too jammed and too volatile to keep anything permanent in.

spherical
02-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Plugins: some people don't recommend this method, but I keep a "3rd_Party_Plugins" folder outside the "LW20NN.n" structure, inside the Newtek folder, and just point all LWs there. When LW was getting updated so frequently, this made some sense, FWIW. Some people think this might cause versioning issues, but so far, so good.

Will definitely cause version issues with plugin sets like DPont's that various plugins are for specific LightWave versions or version ranges. For this reason, I maintain a /3RD directory tree in the /plugins folder of each LightWave version. This protects them from an update and allows for auto-scan. Tedious to update sometimes, and does create duplication of most plugins, but I know that everything is compatible.

My DOWNLOADS folder is too jammed and too volatile to keep anything permanent in.

I have my systems set to "Always Ask For Location" or whatever it's called. Sending stuff to /Downloads requires going in there and moving it to where it should go, so I can find it when I need it. Useless step, for me anyway.

Zerowaitstate
02-15-2016, 06:10 AM
found the rendering side of this to be WAY more stable that last release.

seem to hit snag with the hmd view of lay out but will play more and report back

jwiede
02-15-2016, 07:02 AM
Okay, so latest update I see at L3D site is Jan 25th (2.1), is that the version with the updated convergence, fix, etc.? If not, how do we obtain the latest version?

ConjureBunny
02-15-2016, 07:49 AM
Sorry, false start on my part. I found a bug in it that I can't in good conscience ship with.
I'm hoping to have it figured out today and I'll post an update asap once it's ready.

-Chilton

Lito
02-15-2016, 08:06 AM
deleted ... :)

ConjureBunny
02-15-2016, 08:46 AM
The new one has a lot more than just convergence, but it also has to function properly.

Let me rephrase that: Function Properly is what I'd consider an important feature :D

-Chilton

Airwaves
02-18-2016, 11:45 AM
So I have a question about basics of the 360 video and what I read on the user manual. For the Immersive camera it says: "Suggested resolutions are 2048x1024 or 4098x2048. Youtube.com will process material
even in these high-resolution formats. Of course the higher you go, the more rendering
time is involved, but if you can, aim for 4K by 2K."

My question is this - if 4k is 3840 X 2160 I am curious as to why it the plugin manual says 2048 and not something around 2160? The more I learn the better my renders will be. Thanks

jasonwestmas
02-18-2016, 11:49 AM
well 2048 is a power of 2 image which is what game engines need in order to be efficient. I suspect the same is true with VR inputs I suppose.

SteveH
02-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Maybe I am misunderstanding your question - but you always want the renders to be twice as wide as they are high. So for your 3840 4k image you would want to render at 3840x1920. Give it a try at that resolution as a still and see if it renders correctly - and if that's high enough resolution for what you are trying to show. Good luck on it! UberCam is really quite awesome.

Airwaves
02-18-2016, 12:28 PM
I did read that you want it twice as wide. I was just wondering if the height was being stretched a little because it did not meet the 4k resolution on the height. I made an attempt at a first video and realized quickly my objects are way too far away and I still need to get it working better with youtube. I used adobe media encoder and that could have caused the issue.

https://youtu.be/MvGymoT35aA

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention I mostly am using this for youtube kids videos at the moment.

spherical
02-18-2016, 03:51 PM
My question is this - if 4k is 3840 X 2160 I am curious as to why it the plugin manual says 2048 and not something around 2160?

Don't confuse monitor resolution labels that have Borged a term because it is close to a value that is easy to write. 4K and 2K are classes of resolution. That which are known as 2K monitors aren't. They're 1920. The 2160 is "something around" 2048, not the other way around. My 4K monitor will do 4096, but the preferred rez is 3840. That said, when you render a 360 video, you aren't all that concerned about the monitor rez. It is what the player needs that is important. They're somewhat independent of each other in that regard. It is wrapping an image and needs a certain aspect ratio to be correct in order to do it without distortion. What a given monitor rez may happen to be is essentially irrelevant in this context. Hope that makes sense.

Airwaves
02-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Don't confuse monitor resolution labels that have Borged a term because it is close to a value that is easy to write. 4K and 2K are classes of resolution. That which are known as 2K monitors aren't. They're 1920. The 2160 is "something around" 2048, not the other way around. My 4K monitor will do 4096, but the preferred rez is 3840. That said, when you render a 360 video, you aren't all that concerned about the monitor rez. It is what the player needs that is important. They're somewhat independent of each other in that regard. It is wrapping an image and needs a certain aspect ratio to be correct in order to do it without distortion. What a given monitor rez may happen to be is essentially irrelevant in this context. Hope that makes sense.

It is starting to make sense. I really appreciate you explaining this. Now my last question is this in the manual it says "you should use resolutions that are 2:1 (twice as wide as it is tall)" So should I be using 4096 x 2048 or 4098 x 2048? They are super close and like you are saying it may just be a monitor resolution thing but multiplying the 2048 is two pixels off. Thanks

Airwaves
02-19-2016, 09:40 AM
I feel like I am safe if I stick with the suggested resolutions which are 4098 x 2048 but I want to make sure I am getting the best renders. Obviously I have a ways to go because of my animation skills and putting objects way too far away from the camera.

Airwaves
02-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Maybe I am misunderstanding your question - but you always want the renders to be twice as wide as they are high. So for your 3840 4k image you would want to render at 3840x1920. Give it a try at that resolution as a still and see if it renders correctly - and if that's high enough resolution for what you are trying to show. Good luck on it! UberCam is really quite awesome.

I did two renders so see below.132490132491

One was done at 4098 x 2048 and the other at 3840 x 1920. What do you think looks better?

RudySchneider
02-19-2016, 02:49 PM
What "looks" better? I take it that's a rhetorical question, because each one viewed in its entirety as a full-screen image looks the same to me. The only difference is that I can effectively "zoom-in" just a bit closer on the 4098x2048 image. You do realize that there's only a roughly 4.7% improvement in overall resolution with the larger render, right?

spherical
02-19-2016, 02:54 PM
It is starting to make sense. I really appreciate you explaining this. Now my last question is this in the manual it says "you should use resolutions that are 2:1 (twice as wide as it is tall)" So should I be using 4096 x 2048 or 4098 x 2048? They are super close and like you are saying it may just be a monitor resolution thing but multiplying the 2048 is two pixels off. Thanks

Has nothing to do with monitor resolution.

2048 * 2 = 4096
2048 + 2048 = 4096
4096 / 2 = 2048

Haven't looked at the manual this morning, but I'm betting that the 4098 is a typo.