PDA

View Full Version : Why do people compare Lightwave VS Maya...

Fistandantilus
12-04-2003, 09:59 PM
VS 3Ds Max etc when Lightwave is quite capable of doing the same quality as the others?This is what I mean.This is not my work but a talanted artist called Jacques Defonataine.I hope I didn't infringe any copyrights by showing this.If so I will remove the image but man it looks amazing.

Ade
12-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Its because all these newbies are taken in byMaya'sadvertising and think its the benchmark of 3D... Maya is in fashion now cause of their advertising, so is rhino,they arent the only apps around.

Red_Oddity
12-05-2003, 03:56 AM
:eek: Mr. Cruise...your hair!

Ignorance i guess...Maya isn't the answer to your 3d prayers, but neither is LW nor Max...al programs have their strong and weak points...but some people just don't seem to be able to grasp a simple concept like that...

Dodgy
12-05-2003, 04:16 AM
It's cause LW and Maya are the two best progs in the business? LOL

It's like playing trumps when I was a kid :)

ingo
12-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Why do people use other peoples renderings to start weird threads ? ;) As said before, each program has its strengh, so we use the software that works best for our job, and thats not always LW. So its good to see other people comparing the different software on the market.

Fistandantilus
12-05-2003, 11:40 AM
Ingo
I really suck and have only been using Lightwave a few weeks.
I could have lied and said it was mine..but i'm sure you all would have found me out:D .This is one of the best heads I have ever seen so I used it as an example of what Lightwave is capable of.I've seen alot of Lightwave renders that looked pretty damn photorealistic.

prospector
12-05-2003, 01:02 PM
because they suffer from 'The grass is greener on the other side of the fence' syndrome

Alec Trevelyan
12-08-2003, 09:31 AM
why do we compare packages? Mostly trying to compensate for other packages;);)

Zarathustra
12-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Do a search for 3D jobs and look at the required skills.

Look at major animation schools, or schools with major animation programs and see what they're teaching.

You'll see Maya listed WAY MORE then Lightwave.

Is Maya better? I don't know since I never had an opportunity to try it but facts are facts. Until there are as many job listings for Lightwave as Maya (or Max for that matter) Lightwave users will have to keep carrying that big chip on their shoulders and keep trying to create great work like Mr. Cruise up there with the attitude, "see, Lightwave's just as good."

If I was 18 right now, I'd try and learn Maya not because it may be better but because of the overwhelming advantage towards finding a job.

klak
12-09-2003, 11:55 AM
>>It is in poor taste to use this forum for spouting religious or sociopolitical viewpoints. It's about Lightwave, remember?<<

I completely agree
but cant help to give my two cents to this thread this time.

First of all use whatever is necessary to achieve your goal.
That involves of course having a goal...
Secondly use the app you feel comfortable with.
Thirdly use the available tryouts, learning or educational versions and find out yourself !
This involves some effort and time anyone interested in this matter should be willing to spend. Don't be lazy :)

Maybe its true that there are more job adds asking for Maya-skills today but to learn any 3d application and get familiar with another one later on is not such a big issue (this may sound a little arrogant but to know 1 software really well is essential in my opinion and helps to find your way through the others)

Something i was thinking is this:
A lot more people should ask themselves which application they can afford... and buy it.
Do u really think the popularity of any application is only determined by its capabilities ? A major factor is the mass of (presumed) users behind it - now, you wont tell me the mass of Maya, Softimage, 3dsmax and other high-priced software users owns a legally purchased copy...its way to easy get your hands on anything nowadays.

hm..back to work now
cheers

meshmaster
12-09-2003, 12:37 PM
;)

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75&highlight=notepad

AngelDream
12-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Maybe 'cause Pixar uses Maya, and many of the blockbuster movies were done using Maya...but we could compare it to Mirai, for example. Anyway, I've been using Maya, and I feel that Lightwave is closer to me, like a...I'm inlove you guys! seriously, Lightwave allows me more freedom, and I feel myself closer to my model, layout and scene. The animation system is the only lack, but it'll be improved in LW8!!!

Elio.

doug_wilkinson
12-19-2003, 04:19 PM
one thing that occurs to me as a lightwave and maya user is that:

lightwave shines in small teams....
maya shines in large teams...

maybe that will answer some questions.