PDA

View Full Version : LW GUI messed up on 1920x1080 laptop

Jim M
07-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Hi Guys,

Been a while since I last posted, so I better make it really interesting.

Has anyone had any issues running LW in 1920x1080, the text on the buttons etc doesn't line up etc.

Now that was interesting!

Any comments welcome.

Jim

Greenlaw
07-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Can you post a screencap?

I'm running at 2560 x 1440 for a couple of months and LightWave seems to be fine--just a little tiny but not too bad. For a while, I did drop the screen res down to 1920 x 1080 and I think it was fine then too. (I had dropped the res because Photoshop was a mess at the higher res.) I haven't been running LightWave quite as often as I normally do so I probably haven't seen everything on this screen yet, but if you have something specific for me to check, I can take a look.

G.

Greenlaw
07-21-2015, 10:03 AM
This thread might have some helpful info.

Will LightWave scale well with a 4K screen? (Will lightwave scale well with a 4K monitor?)

It's specifically about running in 4k but it does describe UI issues some users are seeing.

Jim M
07-21-2015, 11:42 AM

And this isn't the worst of it...

Greenlaw
07-21-2015, 12:16 PM
I just checked on my screens at work. The Cintiq is 1920x1080 and the UI looks fine there. This is the panel in Lightwave 2015.2 running on Win 7:

The other monitor is much higher res and it looks fine there too.

You might need to refresh your configs.

G.

Snosrap
07-21-2015, 12:17 PM
I think it's your font/size selection.

Greenlaw
07-21-2015, 12:19 PM
Or...check your global Windows UI scale. Maybe that's affecting it.

Yeah, do what Snosrap suggested and check the above before blowing away your configs.

Jim M
07-21-2015, 12:50 PM
Well its a fresh win 7 install, font size is set to 125%.

Its all a bit weird.

Ok so set it to 100% (no idea why win 7 defaulted to 125%)... Text now fits panels. BUT.... don't you think it's weird that with a windows font size of 125% the LW panels are smaller in width thus compounding the issue.

Greenlaw
07-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Yeah, it's confusing and annoying.

I recently got a new tablet computer with a super high density screen, and the UI scale was set to 175% by default. That actually works well for most apps on this computer but makes some look really icky. Some programs don't really work at all at some scales--Adobe Character Animator, for example, loses it's transport and camera controls when the scale is set to 125%. Seems to be fine at 100% and 150% though.

I think it will be a while before all the software and hardware devs can get things sorted out.

G.

Jim M
07-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Well I am so glad it affects everyone :)

Greenlaw
07-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Yes, misery loves company. :)

spherical
07-21-2015, 05:09 PM
don't you think it's weird that with a windows font size of 125% the LW panels are smaller in width thus compounding the issue.

You are saying that font scaling in the OS changes the panel sizes in applications?

Greenlaw
07-21-2015, 06:09 PM
UI scaling in the OS affects some programs (as described above.) I think you can compensate for some font issues by adjusting the OS's Font scaling too (I should check to confirm that,) but of course it's a global thing and result may not be ideal for every program.

I think it also depends on the application--some may do their own completely self-contained UI and may not be affected by the OS settings. I have a some programs that look so tiny on my screen they're unusable and there's nothing I can do about it.

To sum it up, it's a mess right now if you have a high density screen.

spherical
07-22-2015, 12:29 AM
Well, here's the thing..... The LightWave UI depends upon the OS system, as it opens panels using the OS system. IOW, they minimize to the lower left, just as all other applications do. They are not part of their own system and thus can be customized appropriately. I've long railed at this limitation. Essentially, it's a cheat. Heck, why code our own UI when the OS takes care of 80% of it for us? BECAUSE we need things that the OS system does not accommodate, that's why! Having the minimized panels thingys overstep the LightWave UI at the bottom of the screen, so that we cannot access that which they cover, is totally unacceptable, IMO!

Therefore, the darn panels should, at the very least, scale with the OS settings; not ignore parts of them.

madno
07-22-2015, 01:56 AM
Greenlaw,
your link to the 4K thread does not work. Here it is again:
Will-lightwave-scale-well-with-a-4K-monitor (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?147235-Will-lightwave-scale-well-with-a-4K-monitor)

And here is another one regarding screen antialiasing:
Better-GL-preview-LWM-and-LWL (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?146918-better-GL-preview-LWM-and-LWL)

Greenlaw
07-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Thanks for catching that.

FWIW, I haven't really had issues with the LightWave UI on high-density screens (not to dismiss that others have run into issues.) But I have run into serious problems with some of Adobe's programs on these screens, most notably Photoshop.

G.

madno
07-23-2015, 03:22 AM
As you said,
this high dpi thing is a mess in its current state. But I hope that the software companies adopt to it finally. I read somewhere that Adobe took care of it with CC ?

Jim M
07-23-2015, 07:12 AM
Adobe CC looks fine on this machine at a font scale of 100% or 125%.
Lightwaves Panels do scale at different OS font sizes. Badly (in 1920 x 1080)

Greenlaw
07-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Not really, but it depends on the resolution and pixel density of the display.

On my Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 at native res 2560 x 1440 on it's 13" screen, Photoshop CC 2015 is pretty much unusable--the tool icons are like little fleas on the screen. I understand the situation is similar for users of mid-sized (24") 4k screens.

Adobe's solution in CC 2104 was to add an experimental feature in Preferences that scales the UI to 200%. On my screen, it makes the program look like a PlaySkool toy with gigantic panels and buttons, and many of the panels get clipped off the edge. Ideally, it would scale to 125% to 150%. They made this an 'official' feature in CC 2150 but it really doesn't work for most people. (See this Adobe forum thread for details: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7772507#7772507)

One of their CC programs, as described earlier, does not function properly at the OS's 125% setting. Parts of the UI actually disappear at this scale.

I don't really blame them since many companies are having problems with high-density scaling. At least they're aware of the problems and still working on a solution.

If your screen is only 2k or a little higher, the CC programs should be fine. At 1920 x 1080, most programs look fine even on the Companion 2's screen--but that's a significant resolution reduction and it makes some other programs feel a bit cramped.

Some tools I used to use a lot like Faststone Capture have also become unusable--I can barely make out the icons, and it completely ignores the OS's UI scale setting.

Font Expert is another one I used a lot, but the type listings are now all clipped in a weird way and I can't seem to easily adjust it without messing something else up. I have to spend a little more time with it but right now I'm a little tired of tweaking display settings for individual programs.

I'm finding that it's almost easier to look for alternative programs that just work. :p

FWIW, Lightwave does look proper on the Wacom computer at the native resolution 2560 x 1440 (13"). Even the tool widgets are the proper (i.e., visible and clickable).

G.

P.S., what I've described is on Windows 8.1 and on this particular tablet computer, Wacom Cintiq Companion 2. I understand the situation is similar on Surface Pro 3 devices. I haven't tested Windows 10 yet but from what I'm reading, it's probably not going with the OS update, but I'll let everybody know if it gets any better for me next month.