PDA

View Full Version : How to limit characters from live time data to just show seconds (not minutes)

rosmith
07-20-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm using a Nevco decrypter to send scoreboard data to LiveText for basketball. The data from Nevco for the shot clock comes in the form of "0:30". I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate the lead "0:" and just show the last two digits. (e.g. 30).

It seems to me there are two possibilities:

1. Get the decrypter to just send the seconds value without the leading "0:"
2. Format a text box in Live Stats to only show the last two digits.

I haven't been able to figure out how to do either one. Any suggestions?

kltv
07-20-2015, 11:34 PM
With DataLink keys you can't really change the content of the text once it hits LiveText. You'd have to intercept the data either in the file or serial data to drop "0:" out before it hits the DataLink ingest. I haven't used the Nevco system, so I'm not sure what type of data it is using in LiveText. With the Daktronics stuff, you kind of get what they send. It is probably possible to write a simple application to do the text swap or serial data interception.

Can you cover the leading "0:" with a slice of your scorebar graphic, just so that it is obscured and looks like it only shows those digits? Depending on the design, that might be possible. The other way might be to make a paragraph text layer, right justified and only small enough to catch the last two digits. With a fixed-width font, you could probably guarantee the leading text would be clipped off. You do that by clicking and dragging to create a text box, rather than just clicking into the canvas and typing immediately.

Kris

ZachSchuster
07-21-2015, 06:33 AM
CGStatLink (http://suitecg.com) does not support Nevco at this time, but if the decrypter writes out a key=value text or XML file,you might want to try either the basketball version of CGStatLink. You might be able to get it to work under the same steps as configuring it for a ScoreOCR file or a Sportzcast file. If that works, I believe you would get the leading zero dropped from the clock.

rosmith
07-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Hi Kris! Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to contact Nevco to see if they can remove the "0:" from the output or provide an application to do the text swap.

I tried covering the leading 0: and it would have worked, however, I am using my new TriCaster Mini with Advanced Edition. LiveText and DataLink are built into the TriCaster and it operates differently than when LiveText is running on a separate computer. After building the graphic in LiveText, you send the graphic to the live environment. When you do so, all text boxes move in front of graphical boxes, which defeats the purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Zach! I'll keep that in mind in case I can't get all the expensive equipment and software I've already purchased to do what it should!

kltv
07-21-2015, 10:26 AM
LiveText and DataLink are built into the TriCaster and it operates differently than when LiveText is running on a separate computer. After building the graphic in LiveText, you send the graphic to the live environment. When you do so, all text boxes move in front of graphical boxes, which defeats the purpose.

Well, that is annoying. I'll try that and bug it if it does the same thing to me. It should respect the layering order.

Kris

SBowie
07-21-2015, 11:33 AM
It should respect the layering order.Agreed.

Edit: So, I looked into this, and apparently it's been this way for a long time. Text is rendered last. There are probably valid reasons for this, but they may be lost in the mist of time. Nonetheless, this might be worthy of a feature request. There are other ways to solve the problem that would not require modifying the renderer, which would be a more complex issue. (For instance, it might be useful to be able to specify a character limit and/or default string format along with a DataLink entry on a text line, which would also take care of this issue.)

rosmith
07-21-2015, 03:53 PM
this might be worthy of a feature request.

Ok, I'll post this in the feature request forum. Any suggestions for the meantime?

kltv
07-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Can you spare either a DSK or an M/E to layer the graphics? If you build the graphic in LiveText with everything in the correct spot, except for the shot clock which you could put in another empty area of the graphic, you could use two keyers and the positioning and crop tools to crop off the extra "0:" and then slide it back into place. This could still be done with one GFX source, but you need to burn two keyers (with crop/positioning on each) to get the desired effect. It has the added benefit of being able to lose the shot clock separately at least… Which is handy at times.

Kris

SBowie
07-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Ok, I'll post this in the feature request forum. Any suggestions for the meantime?

Actually, it might be better in this case to post it in Fogbugz as a feature request ... and if you don't mind, send me the case number.

rosmith
07-21-2015, 04:21 PM
Hi Kris!

Your suggestion sounds feasible, but my experience is not yet adequate to understand it. That having been said, I shall attempt to educate myself enough to give your idea a try!

rosmith
07-21-2015, 04:23 PM
Actually, it might be better in this case to post it in Fogbugz as a feature request ... and if you don't mind, send me the case number.

I'm sorry, I don't know what Fogbugz is. I have posted it in TriCaster Feature Requests.

kltv
07-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Fogbugz is the bug reporting system. That goes to the engineers who could implement changes. http://fogbugz.newtek.com/

Here's a visual example of what I'm talking about. It is all done in the little positioning tools (crop, position) in each keyer.

Kris

rosmith
07-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Hi Kris!

Thanks so much for the help! I was able to get the job done using the DSK cropping and positioning.