PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to FX Linker and Inertia, DP Kit?

raw-m
07-20-2015, 09:06 AM
I have a particle emitter where I've saved out the motion to a pfx file. I have a 2 point poly chain with a weight map and I'm using this with the Inertia plugin - then using FX Linker to to duplicate the 2 pp chain to each particle. It works but feels like an old workflow.

I'm sure there's a more "modern" way to accomplish this with a few DP Kit displacement nodes, but I can't quite get my head around it.

I can get the 2pp chain to map to each particle point easily enough but don't know how to introduce the Inertia bit. Anyone know and care to share? :thumbsup:

pinkmouse
07-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Unless you can link the motion to something that has a keyframe, then no. The interpretation order of nodal networks screws you over every time.

raw-m
07-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Cheers Al, I suspected something similar. Although it's attached to particle I guess it doesn't know it's really moving.

pinkmouse
07-20-2015, 09:58 AM
Though I have just had an idea... :)

I'll get back to you on this one...

pinkmouse
07-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Nope, that didn't work. Thought I might be able to cheat by writing a position to a displaced point in a hidden object, then playing with the displacement order, but no joy. :(

raw-m
07-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks for trying :D

pinkmouse
07-20-2015, 11:54 AM
I may be getting somewhere with this, using modulo time to switch between two positions stored on a gradient, with the keys updated using various bits of item and point info driven by logic nodes. It's not pretty! :D

raw-m
07-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Hi Al, again, thanks for looking but please don't spend a ton of time on it! I have what I need for now, if it was relatively straightforward and someone had a screen grab that would have been great but if it's really complicated, stand down!!

pinkmouse
07-20-2015, 03:05 PM
I've been banging my head against this particular problem for a couple of years now, so it's not something I'm going to give up on. Eventually, I will work out how to do it:

Progress from today, one ball displaced with sine wave, the other should be following it...

https://youtu.be/TG9N5zb7YSw

Furthest I've got so far - Gimmie a couple more years and I might have it!:D

raw-m
07-28-2015, 06:46 AM
Fingers crossed, I think we have a friend :D
http://youtu.be/eJAOwNA4Ats