PDA

View Full Version : Find out what command a keystroke performs?

egearbox
07-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Is there a way to "reverse-lookup" a keystroke and figure out what command it maps to? I accidentally hit a key (the "j" key) in Modeler this morning and it did something totally wacky to my model. I was able to recover, I was just curious what the actual command was!

jeric_synergy
07-17-2015, 01:42 PM
the hotkey editor will let you see. Call up EDIT KEYS (default ^F9) and just press the key in question. The editor will scroll to that key.

The default for "j" is JUMP POINTS, which will translate selected points. The last point selected winds up at the cursor, and all the other selected points move on an equal vector.

Probably not a very useful function-- since it is a low level key (no modifiers required) I suggest you map it to something more useful. NON-MODIFIED keypresses are faster to access than any altered keypresses, so ration them out to your most used functions.

egearbox
07-17-2015, 06:36 PM
the hotkey editor will let you see. Call up EDIT KEYS (default ^F9) and just press the key in question. The editor will scroll to that key.

The default for "j" is JUMP POINTS, which will translate selected points. The last point selected winds up at the cursor, and all the other selected points move on an equal vector.

Probably not a very useful function-- since it is a low level key (no modifiers required) I suggest you map it to something more useful. NON-MODIFIED keypresses are faster to access than any altered keypresses, so ration them out to your most used functions.

Thanks! That's exactly the information I needed. And yeah, you're right - that's not a very useful function. :(

jeric_synergy
07-17-2015, 06:52 PM
In VIDEOSCAPE, it was hot stuff. ;)