PDA

View Full Version : Help modeling

torturebori007
07-16-2015, 08:54 PM
I have a dormer I am trying to model, just not working out at all...

See attached images, tips and guidance more than welcomed please.

And then you can see where I am stuck at. i am sure my approach is not the best way.

Thanks,

Ma3rk
07-16-2015, 09:14 PM
A bit dated perhaps but should help whether you have LWCad or not.

http://www.wtools3d.com/swf/online_tutorials/LWCAD_30/praha/praha.htm

spherical
07-16-2015, 11:04 PM
I guess I'd have to ask: What are you least satisfied with? We'll go from there.

Sensei
07-17-2015, 12:31 AM
In front view, take Pen tool, make triangle on top, then extend bottom edge in Y direction.
Select two top triangle edges, extend in Z direction.
Select quad poly, extend, scale down. Align points to reference image.
Repeat couple times to make window frame, moving points back and forth in right directions..

If you will be extending edges (once in one direction, then in other etc), object will be one continuous mesh, instead of loosely only visually (and in reality not) connected pieces (not glued by edges).

meshpig
07-17-2015, 12:40 AM
I'd start chopping it up with either "add edges" or the knife tool, like the underside of the roof can be sliced so you can bridge, shift or whichever.

pinkmouse
07-17-2015, 04:21 AM
Easier to show than describe in writing, so here we go, my first tutorial:

https://youtu.be/udSKOc9UpnA

Hope it helps. :)

torturebori007
07-17-2015, 05:05 AM
Thank you to all who have replied and helped.

Ma3rk - Thank you for that all old or new is great to see how there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Spherical - To answer your question, I am happy with the fact that I got something that closely looked like what I wanted to accomplish. I just don't know the tools and know the tools is key.

Sensei - Thank you so much great great start.

Meshpig - Yeah I guess I could have added more segments and move those points up with the move tool and covered that opening.

Pinkmouse - 1st tutorial? Well you made it seem like a pro! Thank you Thank you so much.

Thanks to all, A bit of background, I have had lightwave for a long time, but I am also in the military, just each time I feel like I'm getting some where with the program I get deployed. No worries there anymore I am done and home. No this is just something I like to do (hobby). It's kind a like riding a bike, but this time around I did forget a lot more, But Pinkmouse had me saying a lot of, oh thats right, thats how and oh yeah!

I really do appreciate the help, Pinkmouse keep at it, you did fantastic, very easy to follow, clear and well spoken.

JoePoe
07-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Good help all. :)

Pinkmouse.... congrats on first tute. Well done.

I have one thing to add ;)
Please please please remember..... merge after doing a Boolean!! (unless you want things disconnected by design).

pinkmouse
07-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Yeah...:D

JoePoe
07-17-2015, 09:42 AM
...... and the even newer Transform tool is a pretty fluid option as well :). 128948

torturebori007
07-17-2015, 02:34 PM
JoePoe - Great tip as well....