PDA

View Full Version : Instances on deforming objects and photoreal motion blur

SaleVonGeist
07-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Just wanted to check if it's a known issue or I am doing something very wrong but I can't get photoreal motion blur on instances that are instanced on deforming object (MDD, animated displacements, etc.). As long as I just move and rotate object it's all fine, but with point deformation...no motion blur (only deforming object has motion blur but not instances). Oh, BTW I'm on LW 1.6.1. :stumped:

One side question if anyone knows, is it possible to bake points from animated object to pfx file somehow?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers,
Sasa

SaleVonGeist
07-17-2015, 06:50 AM
:caffeine:...:bangwall:...Just to bump this in the break from smacking my head. :)

SaleVonGeist
07-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Got an answer from support and unfortunately motion blur passes MUST be enabled to get mblur on instances in that situation.

SaleVonGeist
07-17-2015, 08:48 AM
The monologue continues. :D Just found quick hack that will probably not work in some situations (especially if you need specific rotations on instances), but for really small stuff where you don't see rotations that much like dust and crap it works fine.

There is an old lscript from Steven Cleland https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/obj_pfx/ that generates pfx from object points. Just bake your animation deformation to pfx, load it to emitter and instance on those "particles". Now you can have photoreal motion blur with only one mblur pass on your instances.

Since the lscript bakes object points to pfx you are really limited with placement of instances (in my case that is exactly what I need), so you could scatter some points on your character for example (where you wish to have instances), drive those points with original MDD and bake those out as pfx. Again, you don't have much control over rotation of those instances (as the object turns around local rotation of instances will not follow), so it's suitable only for tiny tiny stuff.

Just wanted to share this if anyone finds it useful for similar crazy/specific situation. :)

Cheers,
Sasa

Greenlaw
07-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I thought it might be worth mentioning that motion vectors work with Lightwave Instances. So if you output an .exr with an embedded motion channel, Fusion's vector blur will add motion blur to it in post. This feature, along with motion vectors for FiberFX, were big game changers for me since because it reduced my instances and hair renders to a fraction of what they once were.

G.

SaleVonGeist
07-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the tip Greenlaw. I still haven't converted to Fusion from AE but I will try the motion vectors (it can get messy with layered based composing with all the passes, scene split layers, etc.).

For this project I'll have to stick with DOF and motion blur in rendering because it would be much more time consuming to split everything and put it back in comp (loads of overlapping characters, their refractions and reflections in scene elements where DOF in post always gives me more trouble than it's worth).

Thanks and cheers,
Sasa

Chrusion
07-17-2015, 01:23 PM
That's a cool and useful plugin! Works great. Denis P's. Motion Designer kit would be complete if it had this PFX option in his PointCacheScan displacement plugin.

Greenlaw
07-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the tip Greenlaw. I still haven't converted to Fusion from AE but I will try the motion vectors (it can get messy with layered based composing with all the passes, scene split layers, etc.).
Yes, I think I know what you mean as I've actually been working more in AE these days. There's a lot about AE I really like but working with .exr and auxiliary channels isn't one of them. Fusion still has me spoiled in that area. :)

G.

SaleVonGeist
07-17-2015, 02:09 PM
That's a cool and useful plugin! Works great. Denis P's. Motion Designer kit would be complete if it had this PFX option in his PointCacheScan displacement plugin.

Indeed, it would be very nice and I guess much faster with higher point counts. If it could also take into account point normals orient and bake that as particle rotations it would be soooooo cool! Help us Obi-Wan Pontonnier, you're our only hope! ;)

Yes, I think I know what you mean as I've actually been working more in AE these days. There's a lot about AE I really like but working with .exr and auxiliary channels isn't one of them. Fusion still has me spoiled in that area. :)

G.

Exactly, I love AE for so many things but...besides exr's with aux channels you mentioned I really don't like when it comes to precomping a precomp of precomp's precomp. It just messes with my mind. Oh well...you can't have it all. :)