PDA

View Full Version : A way to "copy" and "paste" motions?

Fasty
12-04-2003, 05:23 PM
I was thinking how much easier it would be if you could select say 3 objects in order and hit "copy motion", then select another 3 objects and hit "paste motion" and it would apply the motions from the first 3 objects to the respective second 3 objects. Also it would be great if there was an option to "paste motion in place" so that the objects' motions were pasted so that their current positions were maintained and the keys were created relative to that position.

Is this an ok idea?

Karmacop
12-04-2003, 05:46 PM
It's a good idea. I'd like to select 3 channels in an order, copy some keys, then select 3 mroe channels and paste those keys keeping my original order.

OR select keys from and y y and z channel, and when I paste to another set of x y and z it pastes them in the right channels.

When I first started using the graph editor I tried doing this and had no idea about the right way to go about copying and pasting groups of keys from multiple channels :p

Anyway, it's a good idea Fasty :)

ToonShady
12-04-2003, 08:39 PM
I think keyframer is something that suppose to handle what you (Fasty) ask for. I don't think you can do the multi object copy and pasting. But there's a Node-to-Node motion copy command under the transfer tab does copy motion from an object to another. But like usual as in many other tools found in LW, some of the features on this one is faulty. The Save and Load Clip Data doesn't do a good job.

As for copying a group of keys of different channel in the GE you could use the right mouse drag to paste keys that you have selected to a new frame. Would be nice if you can specific rather it's a regular paste or ripple paste. Currently, if you select keys of a single frame, you get the regular paste, but if you select keys in a range of frames, you'll get a ripple paste. :(

DigiLusionist
12-05-2003, 09:40 PM
This, to me, is the single most important function that needs to be implemented into Layout (aside from the Dopesheet) that will make LW a lot more production-viable as far as character animation is concerned.

A MOTION EDITOR needs to be added to the interface to handle such things. I know Motion Mixer is supposed to serve this purpose, but there needs to be a lot more drag and drop functionality to it.

Plus, like the Image Editor, the Motion Editor I am proposing would have tools that would enable you to capture an animated thumbnail of the motion, with scaling tools, and instancing. You would be able to drag the thumbnail onto the Timeline at the appropriate frame, and would be immediately editable in the Dopesheet.