PDA

View Full Version : How do I install LW 8.5 onto an intel core i7?

THREEL
07-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Hello everyone! It's been quite a while since I've posted to the forum. Here's hoping everyone is doing well.

Anyway getting to my question. I've ran LW 8.5 for quite a while. Why? For two reasons: 1. My previous computer ran Windows XP and wasn't the most powerful system in the world to say the least.

2. I couldn't afford the computer, or the upgrades to stay up-to-date. Now, we fast forward to today. Afford it, or not I had to break down and purchase a new system, because my XP machine just wasn't working properly, anymore.

Some specs on my new computer: Asus - Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 4GB video card - 2TB Hard Drive. The problem is, even at the sales price of $395.00, which ends on July 31, I cannot afford to upgrade my seat of LightWave, even as much as I would love to, and need to.

So, here's my dilemma. I tried to download my 8.3 version of LW. I have to do that, before I can update the program to the 8.5 version. I get prompts that the sentinel drivers are missing. The program says that it's going to load those missing drivers, but for some reason kicks out of the download, before the drivers are installed. I've even tried getting up-to-date sentinel drivers from another source, but that doesn't work, either. Needless to say, I'm a man without any version of LW on my system, because I cannot get it to install, properly.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks!

spherical
07-16-2015, 03:58 AM
You say "from another source". Direct from the manufacturer, SafeNet, I presume?

Marander
07-16-2015, 05:57 AM
Depending on the Operating System you use now, you could run WinXP in a Virtual Machine (there are free versions of VM systems available) and Windows 7 came with a WinXP VM included (only in the Professional / Ultimate / Enterprise version). It is called "Windows XP Mode". Maybe that helps. LW runs fine within a VM if you don't require fast graphics. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7
Don't know about the Sentinel drivers support.

Snosrap
07-16-2015, 07:14 AM
So, here's my dilemma. I tried to download my 8.3 version of LW. I have to do that, before I can update the program to the 8.5 version. Allen, I don't get that. My download page doesn't even show 8.3 as an option - just 8.5. Do you have a USB dongle or an older parallel port dongle? As far back as I can remember LW upgrades have always been installs of their own and did not require an earlier version to be present on the HD. Just install 8.5 and skip the dongle part of the install and install it later. Should work fine.

raymondtrace
07-16-2015, 07:22 AM
A virtual machine should not be necessary. I can still run 7.5 directly on Windows 7 and 8.

Also, if you have an existing installation of LW on your old computer, it is portable to the new one. Just copy the "Program Files" directory for LW into the "Program Files (x86)" directory of your new computer (or to a USB thumb drive). The new computer will still need to have the sentinel drivers (and possibly a free runtime download from Microsoft).

I believe the first item on this page is what I used to run LW7.5 on Windows 8:
http://www.safenet-inc.com/support-downloads/sentinel-drivers/

My experience relates to the USB dongle. I'm assuming you're not dealing with a parallel dongle.

raymondtrace
07-16-2015, 07:28 AM
Just realized the reason for the bomb...

...The program says that it's going to load those missing drivers, but for some reason kicks out of the download, before the drivers are installed.

If the installer is trying to load the drivers from a web location, it won't be able to find them. The company changed their web site URL a few years ago. And if the installer is pulling from a local source, it is probably not designed for modern versions of Windows.

Just install the drivers from http://www.safenet-inc.com/support-downloads/sentinel-drivers/ and then run the LW installer, opting not to install the sentinel driver portion.

THREEL
07-16-2015, 06:57 PM
Tim,

I have an actual, physical copy of v8.3. In the past, I always had to install the physical 8.3, before I could go to Newtek to upgrade the version to 8.5. My dongle is USB. Maybe, I'll just try the Newtek site like you suggest and download/install 8.5, directly. I just wish I could figure out a way to make a payment plan, or something, before the 31st. That way I could just upgrade to the latest and greatest version for the $395.00 sales price. :lwicon:

THREEL
07-16-2015, 08:03 PM
OK... So, I've downloaded and installed LW 8.5 directly from the Newtek. I changed the expired license.key to the numbers they're supposed to be, but Windows 8.1 won't let me save the altered file. It says I need to get permission from the administrator, which happens to be me. I've check a couple sites on how to fix this problem, but to no avail as Windows 8.1 isn't "playing nice." Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this issue?

Thanks!

libneon
07-16-2015, 08:16 PM
OK... So, I've downloaded and installed LW 8.5 directly from the Newtek. I changed the expired license.key to the numbers they're supposed to be, but Windows 8.1 won't let me save the altered file. It says I need to get permission from the administrator, which happens to be me. I've check a couple sites on how to fix this problem, but to no avail as Windows 8.1 isn't "playing nice." Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this issue?

Thanks!

I believe any LW before version 11 still requires a dongle so I don't think it matters?

Snosrap
07-16-2015, 08:41 PM
I changed the expired license.key to the numbers they're supposed to be I don't get that. Just download the license from your downloads page, nothing to change.

THREEL
07-16-2015, 09:26 PM
Thanks Tim! I still had to change some permission settings, but I got it to work this time. I'm in, now.

THREEL
08-04-2015, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure what is going on, but I'm having a lot of issues with LW 8.5 crashing, especially layout. I'm running it at 64 bit and on Windows 10. Do you think either one of these is causing problems?

spherical
08-04-2015, 05:06 PM
Probably Win10 not allowing what LW 8.5 wants to do as regards security/permissions, etc. Compatibility between applications and operating systems aged as differently as those is bound to be an issue.

You could try running a virtual machine with an earlier OS installed, but that has its own problems and performance hit.

THREEL
08-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Is there a difference in running a virtual machine and running a different compatibility mode. I changed the compatibility mode to Windows Vista and Windows 8. It still crashed on me. The problem seems to be in Layout.

raymondtrace
08-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Are graphics drivers fully up-to-date and compatible with Win10? Or do graphics drivers need to be as ancient as LW 8.5?