PDA

View Full Version : Tool Tips?

pming
07-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Hiya!

I couldn't find anything on this...

Is there a switch to enable any sort of "Tool Tips" in LW 11.6? I'd *love* to see a basic "what is this?" info box pop up at the bottom or, better still, right next to my cursor. Something like if you hover your mouse cursor over "Bridge" it would pop up "Creates new polygons between selected faces". Even better, allow me to hold down a key (CTRL, for example) and it would pop up a LOT more info... like, most of what is in the manual for the Bridge tool. I guess this is the same sort of feature that is in ZBrush.

Lets face it, there are a million and one tools for LW, and many of them are, basically, duplicates of each other with slight (to drastic) differences and names. I mean, someone like me who doesn't use LW day in day out, and only started using it back when Lighwave CORE was a brand new thing (...grrrr... ...ahem... ...), seeing "Fix Poles" and "Fix 3-5" under a "More..." drop down doesn't help me in the least. I have to fire up the PDF or whip out the manual, go searching, and then hope for the best that is is something I'm actually needing to use.

Anyway... if his is already in LW, do tell where/how to enable it. If it isn't... it should be! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

ernpchan
07-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Short answer.

No.

Submit a feature request because it's a good one.

Dodgy
07-16-2015, 05:56 AM
There's the status bar at the bottom, but that only displays info the programmer has put in the tool, and a lot of tools haven't been polished with that.

Snosrap
07-17-2015, 07:34 PM
I very seldom click a button in the menus of Modeler as I have memorized a long list of frequently used keyboard shortcuts, but I do use ctrl + shift + left/right/middle pop-up menus for the things I use quite often that don't have assigned keys to them. I ran across a YouTube video where the guy was using the Edit Edges tool. I wasn't familiar with that tool but it looked pretty handy so I gave it a shot but I couldn't figure out how he was adding loops. Finally when I set my Wacom pen down and picked the mouse I figured it out. I thought it was a pretty cool tool and would on occasion use it, do I added it to right mouse button pop-up menu and added a little note after the name to remind me how to add loops. :)