PDA

View Full Version : Rendering on PC from MAC

JML
12-04-2003, 05:19 PM
our compagny is slowly changing, we use to have a
mac renderfarm and we just got a intel renderfarm now.

also, we mainly use electricimage for our projects but
since a few weeks my boss started giving me some lightwave projects because of its radiosity effects and good lighting.
(super great for me) (interior and exterior of buildings)

I'm using LW on a PC at work and rendering on the renderfarm
without problems, but my boss is asking me if LW would work well on a MAC and if screamernet would work fine, having for example some co-workers using lightwave on MAC versions and sending jobs to the PC renderfarm.
anybody tried that, works well ?

I'm posting this message on PC and MAC forums to have maximum
feedbacks

thanks a lot!.

mlinde
12-04-2003, 10:58 PM
There are issues with:
1) line endings in Mac/PC files (carriage returns need to be DOS for PC farms)
2) Mac path names not saving correctly (esp. image savers and plugins, need to be manually edited to work on PC farms)
3) Some plugins just don't work cross platform (Had a lot of trouble with Sas & G2 here).
There's more, that's all I can think of right now.

head worm
12-07-2003, 03:28 PM
Hi there,

We use a PC renderfarm but create much of our work on Mac. We don't seem to have many of the problems that mlinde has mentioned.

If you're working on Mac you should remember to manually add file extensions such as .lwo and .lws but windowsXP seems happy enough without them when rendering over screamernet.

There are problems with plugins, but not many that are related to cross platform issues. G2 is a problem regardless of platform. BRDF2 shader in Mac LW7.5c can cause errors on PC. The sliders plugin doesn't work full-stop! There's a bug in Shadow Designer that can cause nodes to crash if the 'enable preview' button is 'on'.

I can personally say that it's fine to work cross platform and I even have a friend who's using ScreamerNet controller OSX to control a PC renderfarm without any unusual hassles.

I would, however, strongly recommend using a third party render controller as the built in stuff is a bit of a nightmare. We use Tequila Scream for PC and are more than happy with it.

DON'T whatever you do, go to Panther yet though on mac, because it's screwed as far as Lightwave is concerned!

Cheers

Head Worm
www.the-worms-of-art.com

JML
12-09-2003, 11:10 AM
thanks headworm

JML
12-09-2003, 11:14 AM
so how do you use G2 ?,
do you still use it ? and delete thing in the lws scene file?
is G2 a plugin needed for rendering or is it only for layout
to texture and light?

thanks

jdavidbakr
12-09-2003, 11:39 AM
LightWave won't render via LWSN to both PC's and Mac's at the same time natively, but you can use the ScreamerNet Controller (http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet) to do it successfully.

JML
12-09-2003, 11:45 AM
headworm, if tequila is only for windows, how do you send your
job from mac ?

thanks, i'll take a look jdavidbakr
but we might prefer something which works on pc and mac
(master)