PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing LWCAD 4.51

Topster-71
07-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Hi,
I have been using LWCAD for years, but i have truble installing it every time. For some reason lightwave does not remember the LWCAD plugins, Just the menu branches once the PC restarts. Works fine if I just close and restart lightwave app.

I have followed the LWCAD 3.1 version flash demo. That was back in the day when I was using Windows XP, that worked fine. For some reason I have problems Windows 7 Pro & LWCAD 4.51. Is there a new demo for Windows 7 that has a different install process?

I have reformatted my machine, turned off UAC follwed the demo, even changed the user permisions on some of lightwaves folders on the C drive. There must be something i am not doing or picked up some bad habbits along the way. Getting tired of installing LWCAD every morning.

Anyone got any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Markc
07-14-2015, 12:02 PM
Seems a bit extreme to format your drive, just for one plugin!

Install procedure (assuming an old version is installed)

(I copy the plugins into the plugins sub-folder of LW)

1.In the Config menu panel, delete each LWCad tab.
2.In the edit plugins menu, Delete the plugins.
3.Close Modeler.
4.In Edit plugins add all three plugins.
5.In the Config menu panel, Right click on Main Menu, Import branches (3).
6.In Cad Archviz tab, open options select Preset path.
7.Install license when requested.
8.Close Modeler to save changes.

Waves of light
07-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Yep. Only time I have had problems with LWCAD and LW, resulting in the error you're having, was with new installs of LW and installing the menu branches before installing the plugin. Follow Markc's suggestions and you should be fine.

On a side note, and I don't know if this will help with future installs, but to avoid any installation issues (or UAC prompts) I always run the Lightwave installer.exe (unzipped) and run as administrator. Then, for all three .exes (modeler, layout and hub) I set them to 'run as administrator' - right mouse - menu - properties, Compatibility tab, Run this program as an administrator.

Topster-71
07-14-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the help. The reformat was to clean the system. Over the past 6 months i have been trying out a load of demo software and needed to create a new mirror image with new software.

Your method half worked. Lightwave remembers the plugins etc great. The plugins don't seam to work correctly. On restarting the PC and laurnching LW everything looks great. but if i use the line tool to draw a curve using 3 points I get a triangle polygon - no curve.

Just odd!!!

Seems a bit extreme to format your drive, just for one plugin!

Install procedure (assuming an old version is installed)

(I copy the plugins into the plugins sub-folder of LW)

1.In the Config menu panel, delete each LWCad tab.
2.In the edit plugins menu, Delete the plugins.
3.Close Modeler.
4.In Edit plugins add all three plugins.
5.In the Config menu panel, Right click on Main Menu, Import branches (3).
6.In Cad Archviz tab, open options select Preset path.
7.Install license when requested.
8.Close Modeler to save changes.

Waves of light
07-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the help. The reformat was to clean the system. Over the past 6 months i have been trying out a load of demo software and needed to create a new mirror image with new software.

Your method half worked. Lightwave remembers the plugins etc great. The plugins don't seam to work correctly. On restarting the PC and laurnching LW everything looks great. but if i use the line tool to draw a curve using 3 points I get a triangle polygon - no curve.

Just odd!!!

What version of LWCAD and what version of LW are you using? Do you have the latest release of 4.51 ? lwcad_cur.p (27-01-2011), lwcad_dim.p (27-01-2011) and lwcad4.p (19-07-2013). Try Markc method above, but before you install the plugins inside of LW, redownload, unzip and overwrite your current versions. Then open Modeler and perform steps 4 onwards.

Markc
07-14-2015, 03:24 PM

Just odd!!!
I had that problem a while back.
Re adding the plugins fixed it.
(Just delete them and re copy to location, no need to follow my previous steps)

Topster-71
07-14-2015, 03:45 PM
I'll give this ago tomorrow. Shutdown for the night. my little boy isn't very well, may be along night. You never know I maybe booting back-up at 3am.

Yep. Only time I have had problems with LWCAD and LW, resulting in the error you're having, was with new installs of LW and installing the menu branches before installing the plugin. Follow Markc's suggestions and you should be fine.

On a side note, and I don't know if this will help with future installs, but to avoid any installation issues (or UAC prompts) I always run the Lightwave installer.exe (unzipped) and run as administrator. Then, for all three .exes (modeler, layout and hub) I set them to 'run as administrator' - right mouse - menu - properties, Compatibility tab, Run this program as an administrator.

Topster-71
07-14-2015, 03:50 PM
I'll check plugin versions as i am not sure. i know its LWCAD 4.51. I have been waiting for version 5 for sometime like most people.

Waves of light
07-14-2015, 03:52 PM
I'll give this ago tomorrow. Shutdown for the night. my little boy isn't very well, may be along night. You never know I maybe booting back-up at 3am.

Oh man... been there, so many times (two young boys and a history of LW usage). Hope he's on the mend.

Every4thPixel
07-15-2015, 02:49 AM
Just don't install LWCad in the plugins folder. Install it in it's own folder directly in the Programs directory. If you do that LWCad should work just fine.

Topster-71
07-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Hi, Thanks for your advice everyone, got it sort. Its a admin permision thing.

1. fresh install of OS to remove any bad OS setup and update to latest security fixes.
2. turn UAC off and restart.
3. download fresh .zip files of Lightwave and LWCAD to the downloads folder on "C" drive.
4. unzip Lightwave and run as Admin from download folder.
5. set modeler, layout, hub to run as admin. activate a normal.
6. place the LWCAD .zip file in the programs folder. select unzip here, which creates a LWCAD folder containing all files required.
7. install LWCAD as normal. i didn't copy the plugins to LWs pugin folder.

LWCAD fully works after a PC restart now. For me i was not downloading and storing the .zips on the "C" drive. instead i was installing from the "D" drive contains all may purchased downloade sofware i use. so everyones advice works providing you download and run from "C" drive.

Hope this helps anyone else reading this. its always the simple things we forget that creates the biggest problems.

hrgiger
07-15-2015, 05:29 PM

Just odd!!!

You are aware that the curve and line tool are the same now, yes? Did you switch to curve in the numeric panel?

Topster-71
07-16-2015, 01:36 AM
I use the numeric panel and view port option to test the install of LWCAD. Its seam if there was a promblem during installation of LWCAD it shows up in the line & curve tool and the lack of a curve after the PC has restarted and only after a restart. I think i nailed it down to permission. Will only fined out when I upgrade to LW 2015 and have to re-install LWCAD again.

spherical
07-16-2015, 03:55 AM
so everyones advice works providing you download and run from "C" drive.

I never install anything on C:, if given a choice at all--and especially not in /Program Files, and have never had one issue on things not running as expected.

BeeVee
07-17-2015, 03:27 AM
FWIW, I always install LightWave in C:\NewTek (just taking out the \Program Files from the suggested install location - this means if I want to set up LWSN I don't have to worry about quotes for paths with spaces). In \Support\Plugins I set up a folder called 3rdParty into which all my external plugins get installed. This means they are easy to transfer to a new installation. If I was really serious about it, I'd keep all my plugins in a completely separate folder. For LWCAD, I move the presets into the Supprt\Presets folder and for |LWCAD, Octane, Origami Digital and other plugins that have menus, I use the Support\Configs folder to keep their menu branches.

B

Waves of light
07-17-2015, 03:42 AM
And if you want to be super clever, you can use version control software to upload you configs, plugins, etc. to cloud storage, so that you have versioned backups on your files. So if anything ever crashes, or you get a corrupt config file, you can go back and download previous versions.

Topster-71
07-17-2015, 08:47 AM
That sounds cool. Maybe next time when things go bang. Soon be time for a hardware upgrade too. Thanks for your advice.

And if you want to be super clever, you can use version control software to upload you configs, plugins, etc. to cloud storage, so that you have versioned backups on your files. So if anything ever crashes, or you get a corrupt config file, you can go back and download previous versions.