PDA

View Full Version : Render slower with faster Processor?

short223
07-13-2015, 07:33 AM
Running an exact copy of a project on a different machine with a better processor but the render time is much slower.
LW 11.6.3 windows 7

First computer has Intel Core i7-2720QM @ 2.20GHz Renders at around 49m 30 sec

Second computer has Intel Core i7-4800MQ @ 2.70GHz Renders at around 57m 51 sec

What would be the cause of this and is there things I can do to improve this? No over clocking was done.

Thanks!

Sensei
07-13-2015, 07:48 AM
It could happen if f.e. virtual memory is heavily used.
Are both machines 64 bit OS/app, with enough physical memory available to app?
Check memory/disk usage during rendering..

short223
07-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Forgot to mention. Each has 32 GB of RAM Both are using just under 20 GB and full (99%) CPU usage

MSherak
07-13-2015, 11:37 AM
http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/index.php?pid=1183&pid2=644&compare=core-i7-4800mq-4-core-2-7ghz-vs-core-i7-2720qm-4-core-2-2ghz

"The Core i7-2720QM 4-Core has one thread per physical core, whereas the Core i7-4800MQ 4-Core uses hyperthreading, as it has 2 logical threads per physical core.

Multiple threads are useful for improving the performance of multi-threaded applications. Additional cores and their accompanying thread will always be beneficial for multi-threaded applications. Hyperthreading will be beneficial for applications optimized for it, but it may slow others down. For games, the number of threads is largely irrelevant, as long as you have at least 2 cores (preferably 4), and hyperthreading can sometimes even hit performance."

Hyperthreads suffering performance is usually seen when you start to hit the computers bus heavily. In my experience Intel based motherboards suffer many issues when access storage. You can watch a 12-core just lock up if say you virus checker kicks in while rendering since the bus gives the storage priority. Even with all the ram you can cram into a machine you will always use virtual ram since the OS is built around not running out of memory. Open up the task manager on your machine and under the performance tab launch the resource monitor while rendering. Easy way to see how much time is eaten up for applications and OS.